• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Should I change to a more aggressive base?

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
I just got a new Schmidt 4-16. They are rather limited in that they only have 13 mils up on their single turn.

This wasnt a big factor for me, since the vast majority of my shooting is inside 700 yards. I will be mounting in on a 20moa Badger rail and I am wondering if I should consider a rail with 30 moa. It is on a custom LTR with a short barrel. It is never going to be a ELR rifle, most likely never shooting past 1K.

Just wondering, with the way the Schmidts are designed, to run in a 28moa AI mount, if I recall. Would I see any benefit by running a 30 moa rail?

Re: Should I change to a more aggressive base?

I'm running 3 different S&B single turns, two are on 20 moa bases and the other is mounted in talley lightwieght rings without a canted base...all 3 run out to 13 mils without a hitch. You wont have any problems...

With a zero of 160 meters I can get to 1160 meters with 13 mils.....155 scenar at 2950fps, 2500 ele. 50F.

On an AR-10 with a 22 MOA Badger Ordnance riser rail, I get all 13 mils with my S&B 4-16x42. YMMV, but I don't think you'll have a problem.

I think I will just go with the 20moa rail that is on there. If I ever get to the point that 13 mils isnt enough, I will deal with it.

Thanks

S&B single-turn PMII scopes have mechanical stops at the top and bottom, so you can't get any more than 13 mils. The internal elevation travel is larger than 13 mils, so you have some control over where the "0" starts. 13 mils is totally adequate for 308Win to 1kyds with a 175SMK, unless your MV is very low.

A 28MOA base puts the erector in a better spot with a 100-yard zero and optimizes the available windage adjustment.

If you want to shoot to ELR, then a Premiere Heritage or S&B 5-25x is the way to go. Both scopes have a tremendous amount of internal elevation travel and a double-turn turret.

I learned a few things about MOA and Mill last year.
Why does a mill scope need a 20 or 30 MOA base?
What isn't that in Mills?
Me no Hable.
(Will need MOA to machine.)

You didn't learn enough then if you don't know 1 mil is equal to 3.43 MOA so 20 MOA is 20 / 3.43 = 5.8 mils

The amount of taper in the base doesn't matter what it's called whether it be 20 MOA or 5.8 mils. You just do better distributing the internal elevation with most scopes by using one.