• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Should I compromise a rifle to shave weight?

rum

Minuteman
Nov 3, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
I've found myself in a dilema. I have a Surgeon Remedy XL in .338 Lapua that I've been using to hunt and let my girls hunt with the past few years but we've recently moved to Idaho where there is a 16lb rifle limit for hunting. I've switched back to bowhunting so my first thought was to sell the rifle and buy something else for my wife and daughter but I'm not a salesman and I get tired of fielding dumb questions so I'm thinking about trying to shave a couple pounds off the rifle. Its about 3 lbs too heavy and the barrel seems to be the obvious choice for shaving weight but I dont want to compromise the rifles value by cutting on a finished rifle. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Well if you've switched to Bow hunting you're shooting at around 30 or 40 yards, so if you can be hunting at that range do you really need a .338 any more?

Sounds like its time to buy a new rifle. If they are use to shooting a 18-19 pounds gun then get something like a heavy barreled 300 win mag or 7mm Rem mag with a scope and rigged out it should be under 16lbs and recoil would still be manageable. Or just a sporter weight rifle in the above mentioned calibers with a good brake.

I realize that, what i meant was if you can get close enough to use a bow does it really need to be a .338? I'm sure they'd appreciate carrying something a lot lighter around, not to mention the money you'd saving on ammo.

I appreciate the responses guys but I am asking for suggestions on how to make the rifle a little lighter without compromising it too much. I'd like to keep the discussion on that topic, please.

You asked for ANY thoughts or suggestions, my thought is you don't need a .338 Lapua for hunting. What kind of animal are you hunting that you need a .338 especially if you can shoot them with a bow?

You say you don't want to compromise the value by cutting on a finished rifle, 3lb is a lot to loose. The only way i see you doing it is to shorten the barrel, or re-contour the barrel, or flute the barrel, fit a light weight stock. All of which drastically change the rifle. A light weight stock will also increase the recoil. Cheaper to buy a second rifle, or sell the .338.

Last edited:
What scope and rings do you have , a lighter scope and aluminum rings could shave weight.
Of course lopping a couple inches off the barrel will help greatly.
Replacing the stock for an all carbon fiber shell could cut a bit of weight.

Ultimately you are not going to maintain the same dimension of the weapon such as barrel length and contour and drop a significant ammount of weight unless you replace it with a carbon wrapped barrel.

The Surgeon XL action is designed to be strong , not light and that rifle is the same way , heavy , stable and rugged so if keeping the weapons base value is your objective then a seperate rig may be your only option.

How much weight will turning the barrel down by 1/8in or so save? The stock is a Mcmillan A-5 with the heavier fill, too.

How much weight will turning the barrel down by 1/8in or so save? The stock is a Mcmillan A-5 with the heavier fill, too.
Turning the barrel down won't drop nearly as much weight a cutting off a couple inches then fluting it. By shortening it you will also make it stiffer and by theory more accurate , fluting will cause a little loss in rigidity but it'll be way more stiff than a long barrel turned down. Granted you will loose a little velocity but I'm betting it'l still be capable of mile long shots.
Getting a new stock will greatly reduce some weight. Replace it with either a light carbon fiber Manners or McMillan desgined to be light. You can call McMillan and ask them what the weight differential would be

I think I just gotta sell it. I reread the regs and the rifle can't weigh any more than 16lbs so the 16.9 I was planning probably won't cut it. Now, I have to shave 3.1lbs from the rifle which I don't think is possible without major work and that defeats the purpose of the rifle.

What are the specs on the rifle? What stock? What contour barrel? What scope? I'm sure you can shave some weight. Use talley rings and a non tactical style scope. Use a # 3 contour barrel at24 inches. Use smaller recoil pad, loose the mag box and follower and go single shot. All options.

I can take that rifle off your hands. I'm in route now to your house from North Dakota and I have a crazed redhead with me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Do you really think anyone will weigh your rifle? What is the fine for hunting with a heavy rifle? I sure it is less than all the modification you are talking about.

I have to say that I agree 100%, windermike, but nearly every hunt that I am part of regardless of who is shooting, is on video these days so I can't take any chances. I also asked the local warden about the weight limit and he said that he hasn't heard of anyone out weighing rifles but, if I know my rifle is over, I need to fix it. My thoughts are that I would probably never have a problem but, just one ticket, and I'd lose the rifle as evidence as well as any sponsors that we have. Its just a risk I can't take.

Why is there a weight limit? I could understand caliber restriction but who cares how heavy your rifle is.

Last edited:
Why is there a weight limit? I could understand caliber restriction but who cares how heavy your rifle is.

Discussion of politics is not allowed. Nor is it relevant to the thread topic.

You realize that a .338LM is going to kick like a mule if you lighten it, right?

Get yourself a good rifle of a moderate caliber for the animals you're shooting and be done with it. Selling your .338 and buying a pair of rifles might be a possibility with no cash outlay.

I'm sorry, but we are going to continue going off topic because it's just unrealistic on so many levels. You already got a multitude of answers, and in the end modifying this rifle to save 3 pounds, will devalue and make it far difficult to shoot assuming it's even safe to shoot at that point. the responsible answer I see is buy a rifle to fit the bill. up to you on whether to sell the .338.

I agree with the post above. Three plus pounds is a lot to cut economically. I have sold guns in the past and I always regret it. So if I were you I would probably buy a different rifle and hang on to that one. Thats just me though. I think a 30-06 or .308 caliber rifle should do anything you need hunting in Idaho and the .338 would be fun to play with at long ranges.

Discussion of politics is not allowed. Nor is it relevant to the thread topic.

Calm down. I have no interest politics or discussing it, i just ask what the reason was for a weight limit. In New Zealand where i come from there is no such thing as a weight limit for a hunting rifle, so i was just curious what the reasoning behind it was.

Trying to avoid going off topic here, but you obviously have already made up your mind as to what you want to do, so go ahead and do that.

I agree. I just have to find something else to use here in Idaho. I figured it was worth on more fleeting attempt before I got rid of it.

I can take that rifle off your hands. I'm in route now to your house from North Dakota and I have a crazed redhead with me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Bring cash and some tissue because I'll cry a little if it leaves. ND to the west coast with a truck full of that family could drive a man nuts. I know their relatives. :)