• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Should i do this myself?

Jthoss0837

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2010
Greenville, South Carolina
Ive got a Remington 700 SPS-V with the X Mark Pro trigger.
I'll be ordering my scope monday, and want to go ahead and get the trigger adjusted to ~3 lbs before mounting the scope.
My issue is, i dont have a torque wrench, and would have to research the process of adjusting it.
Ive been told by my uncle that you can take the stock off, using some nail polish to make a mark on the stock/screw, then count the revolutions to get the same torque back. I wouldnt mind paying for a smith to do it, but the only smith we have around here isn't someone i want to trust. He adjusted my dads Remington 700 7mm Magnum, and the gun had an accidental discharge 3 times, one from putting the weapon on fire, the next from closing the bolt, and the final at the range. He took it back to him and he fixed it, but it took all together 6 months. Anyone that could give me some insight i'd really appreciate it.

Re: Should i do this myself?

its an aquired taste.....

there are aftermarket little springs from brownells i think that will allow a more consistant setting of the let-off and trigger pressure.....it also may require a stone job by the knowledgeable......in leu of that i would drop the dime on a resonable aftermarket trigger like a shilen or timney

i wouldnt mess with it personally. if a gunsmith can bung it up, an untrained person w/o the proper training and tools can bung it up even more.

Hope this helps
http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/videos/x-mark-pro-trigger.aspx
Be careful not to go too light and make sure before actually putting rounds in it, to check it by closing the bolt hard with the safety off, dropping it on the butt with the safety off, bumping it ect checking to see if the firing pin falls without the trigger being pulled.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its an aquired taste.....

there are aftermarket little springs from brownells i think that will allow a more consistant setting of the let-off and trigger pressure.....it also may require a stone job by the knowledgeable......in leu of that i would drop the dime on a resonable aftermarket trigger like a shilen or timney </div></div>

Ive heard that the xmark trigger is fair to adjust to ~3 pounds, and doesnt require any modifications. Id rather not drop any more money on this rifle at the time, high school student working my ass off just to get the necessities for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blakheaven</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hope this helps
http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/videos/x-mark-pro-trigger.aspx
Be careful not to go too light and make sure before actually putting rounds in it, to check it by closing the bolt hard with the safety off, dropping it on the butt with the safety off, bumping it ect checking to see if the firing pin falls without the trigger being pulled. </div></div>

Thanks for the link. I thought this trigger was only adjustable from inside the stock. Wow. i feel dumb now. LOL

Einstein once said that we all place tribute at the altar of stupidity so its all good. Glad it helped

Lighter fluid the shit outta that thing and get all the gunky sticky stuff cleaned out. If you have to, stick it in a glass jar covered in acetone and let it sit for 10 mins, swirl it around a little bit (don't shake the heck outta it though) and then rinse it out with more lighter fluid.

THEN go about adjusting it if you so feel the need. I'd shoot it first though once all the goobers are cleaned from the inside.

the x pro trigger is pretty easy to adjust once you get the gunk out of the screws.

when you get the trigger pull where you want it slam the bolt shut a bunch and bang the butt on the floor then slam the bolt shut a few more times to make sure it won't go off. I've got a hold of a few that would drop the hammer 1 out of 5 times if you slam the bolt, the user had just got lucky and not been that hard on it.

often the sear has seemed good enough for me at the factory setting and i don't even scrap the gunk out of the screw.

here's a few links, the x pro trigger adjustments are the same except the weight is on the trigger shoe.
http://www.quarterbore.com/library/articles/rem700trigger.html
http://www.snipercountry.com/articles/remingtontriggers.asp

another read
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads...rue#Post2185569