• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Should I go .338LM?

InTheWeeds

Sergeant
Minuteman
I got a quote from Armalite to rechamber and rebarrel my AR30 from a .308 to a .338LM. They quoted me a little over $550 for all parts and labor for the swap. We now have a local 1000 yard range, which the .308 works nicely for, but competition-wise, the wind at times can be overbearing, which I think a .338 would be better for. I know, I know, you cant make up for practice and over time, I'll develop the skills to shoot in crazy wind. But I also plan on visiting my parent's cabin in Cali where I can shoot across canyons in excess of 1500 yards.
Should I do it, or just stick with my .308? I just got done building an DPMS LR-6.5 Creedmoor, which is another reason I wanted to find a cartridge with some extended range.

Re: Should I go .338LM?

In Da Woods, I have 2 338's and 1 300 Win Mag. If you can afford to shoot the 338, go ahead I love the cartridge but if you are only going to 1000 and shooting costs are hard to cover...the 300 with 200 gr plus bullets will get you out there fine too. 208 Amax, 200 Accubonds, or any such similar bullet goes to a 1k easily and much cheaper than the 338. If Lapua hadn't quit making 300WM brass I would be saying its a tie.