• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Should I have my Rem 700 SS 5R .308 trued?

lostangel

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2010
El Campo, TX
www.inamorato.net
Stock action and barrel. Just as it came from the factory. Would I gain anything from having it trued? Or should I just wait if/until I shoot the barrel out? Which may NEVER happen. I don't have that much time to shoot.

Patrick

Re: Should I have my Rem 700 SS 5R .308 trued?

I bought one a year ago and it shot 175 FGMM and 168 Black Hills the best. Never had a 5 shot group over .800, never had one smaller than .280. Most 5 shot groups were in the .400-.700 range. I ended up selling it at the end of the Summer. If it shoots, spend your money on ammo and dies if you don't have .308 dies. When the barrel is shot out in 5,000 rounds or so, have it trued.

Minute of 100 yards. I haven't got a scope on it yet. Saving for the NF or USO. I have an old Leupold 3X9 that my grandad gave me. I may put that on there.

I was kinda hoping to get all the work done to it before I get the scope. That way, all I have to do is mount it and go to the range. I still need to find someone to cerakote or duracoat it. Stainless annoys me for some reason, can't even really tell you why.

See, I want the rifle to be perfect. The scope, perfect. That way, when I miss, I can't blame it on anything but me.

I picked one up about 3 months ago have about 100 rounds through it so far and it seems to be great as is. I suck at shooting still, but when I get comfortable and everything is perfect it will put 5 rounds in well under 0.5" at 100 yards. The only things I have added are a bi-pod, TAB sling and rear bag, rings, base and SS 10x HD scope. I might pick up a new trigger next month for it, so far I don't mind the stock X-mark pro but I think it could be better.

You have got to shoot it first to see if any work is needed. If you aiming for perfection, you have got to dump more money into a custom precision rifle. just saying...

If you can prove that the stock barrel is not accurate, and changing the barrel is required to improve accuracy, you will want to true the action while you change the barrel. I would be very satisfied if a stock remmy 700 can shoot 1moa out to 800 yard. If your rifle can do that, true it only when you have the funds and really insist on doing so.

As far as who to blame, the shooter or the gun, best way is to have a good shooter(s) to shoot your rifle, if they can achieve good accuracy, then the rifle is good to go. You will know the rest is up to "you".

Hope this helps.

Dyl..

All the 5rs ive had have been less than 1 moa accuracy,my only complaint was the stock weight too light.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UrsusFamiliaris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does it shoot now? </div></div>

+1

If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

Wait til you need or want a barrel. Most of em shoot.
IMG_0002.jpg

Guns1108.jpg

I have one of those $400 Rem 700 SPS in .270 and i can make cold bore shots at 700 on a 14" gong. And every shot after that hits it no problem until it heats up about shot #10 and the lil pencil barrel aint doin so well.

You shoot paper or critters?

I shoot all the time so if im not shooting critters on the farm im shooting steel just to get some practice in.

Missed a crow at 600yds Sunday, my spotter said it looked like i hit right at its feet and kicked dirt up all over the poor lil thing. I guess it at 600 and it was 625ish so that was enough to miss a 5" bird.

shoot the crap out of that rifle and when time comes do all the changes.... you will want to shoot the 168's for shorter range and the 175's for the longer range.

and +1 to all who said and agree if it aint broken dont fix it.

Forget the barrel for now. Get best glass you can afford and if you don't like the factory stock look into a B&C Medalist to fit your LOP. They shoot fine out of the box unless you just like spending money. A disease I used to suffer from.

I don't have any experience on what a true job does for a otherwise factory Rem. I would guess that the largest average gain would be from pushing the chamber back and reaming for a tighter chamber and shorter jump. Then you might as well add a trued recoil lug. This seems ill in total work when a aftermarket tube can be had for around $300 extra. Given the resale value of the 5R, at this point you might be better off using a different 700 donar action. It's a slippery slope.

Owning one, I never liked the palm swell on that stock. If it fits and your generally happy with the perf: build a pet load for it.

When I checked to see about getting mine trued , the cost was around 250 and upwards to have the action squared and blue printed. Then they had to clean the barrel threads up which was another 150 or so and then for doing chamber work was around another 150 to 200. All added up was 600-750 dollars worth of work. For another couple of hundred, I could put on a bartlein, brux, rock or other high end barrel from APA or GAP. Incidentally, those were a couple of places I talked to about doing my action truing. You could go with some others not associated with the site and get it for less but the guys on here have a shit pot of people to vouch for their work. I have used other gun smiths and had good work done and then had the same ones do shitty work for me which had to be redone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rundm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I checked to see about getting mine trued , the cost was around 250 and upwards to have the action squared and blue printed. Then they had to clean the barrel threads up which was another 150 or so and then for doing chamber work was around another 150 to 200. All added up was 600-750 dollars worth of work. For another couple of hundred, I could put on a bartlein, brux, rock or other high end barrel from APA or GAP. Incidentally, those were a couple of places I talked to about doing my action truing. You could go with some others not associated with the site and get it for less but the guys on here have a shit pot of people to vouch for their work. I have used other gun smiths and had good work done and then had the same ones do shitty work for me which had to be redone. </div></div>

Check out Louisiana Precision. Good people. Good prices. Faster turnaround than some of the bigger name outfits.

I have yet to hear anything bad about Roscoe's work out there.