• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Should I have this barrel threaded?

fusiachi

PFC Snuffy
Minuteman
May 12, 2008
South of Expected
I've got a Savage Mk II BV that I'm very happy with. I've been considering having it threaded to accept my SWR Spectre but I'm concerned about the possible effects on the barrel crown and the gun's accuracy. I understand that it might not shoot quite as well with the can attached, but I'd be really disappointed if I lost any accuracy without it on there. Should I just leave it be or can I proceed with confidence? The work will be done by a top-shelf shop if that matters.

Re: Should I have this barrel threaded?

Crown should not be effected or changed at all, make sure your smith knows not to fuck with it.

He IS going to stick a live center in there, but in skilled hands the risk shoild be small. A new crown can always be cut.
FWIW, my Douglas barreled .22 shoots very well through my Spectre, although to a slightly different point of impact, maybe a minute, minute and a half down and left relative to bare muzzle (actually with a fake can). I guess I should try it nekkid or with a flash suppressor or thread protector (which is what I use the fake can for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He IS going to stick a live center in there, but in skilled hands the risk shoild be small. A new crown can always be cut.
FWIW, my Douglas barreled .22 shoots very well through my Spectre, although to a slightly different point of impact, maybe a minute, minute and a half down and left relative to bare muzzle (actually with a fake can). I guess I should try it nekkid or with a flash suppressor or thread protector (which is what I use the fake can for. </div></div>

Depending on how he is going to do the threading he should not be putting the live center in it. I do 99% of my barrel threading through the headstock. This way I can indicate off of the bore and then crown and cut the threads concentric to that. Putting the live center in a crown can influence it possibly throwing it off. Some tailstocks run .002-.008 high.

I understood that the only way to be sure you're concentric with the bore was to run it between centers, lest the axes not be coincident.

A noted barrel preparer indicates off the bore at each end before doing a countersink on each end, after which tapering, threading, etc is done between centers. Crowns are done after parting to length.

I'm sure there are different ways to skin the cat. While not nonexistent, my lathe experience IS quite limited.

Frog5215,

I understand, everybody has their own technique. The reason why I prefer to crown with the barrel in the headstock is because the bore is always going to have a slight curve. So when you put it between centers (imagine two people holding a jump rope spinning around and holing it tight) its going to be close, but your not going to get the threaded area of the barrel truely concentric with the bore. If you run a .0001" indicator off of the bore from the crown to 3" toward the chamber end and make sure that this section of the barrel is running concentric, then you can be assured that the crown and threads will be true. You can also note the amount of runout on the chamber end. You will be surprised how much is is off. This is showing the curvature of the bore.

Each gunsmith has their own technique and to be honest going to this extreme might not even help out that much more, but I like to take the extra steps and make sure I'm doing everything that I can do to increase accuracy and the potential of a rifle.

Gunsmiths are always finding new and better ways to do things. While not all gunsmiths have to embrace these changes because they do excellent work with their current technique, there is always a different/better way of doing things. Its just up to the comfort level of the smith and the needs of the customer.

Indicating off the bore with a range rod is much more accurate, and it wont touch the crown. But the lathe will need to be spider equipped. But even so, its just a crown, you can always recut it.

I also have the MKII BV which I threaded and put on a SWR Warlock. Its shoots fantastic. Every shot will touch the previous one at 50y. Do try several ammo types though. It will love one, and hate another. I found the ammo it liked and bought 10k of it.