• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Should I just ditch my Leupold?

BigBrother

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2007
New England
Ok, time to get the wisdom of the masses here..

But first a little backstory is in order..

I got my first precision rig last year to get into tactical long range shooting. I wanted to learn, generally speaking, the M24/M40A1 platforms, complete with range estimation, mil dots, etc. etc. etc. I say generally because I was looking for something fun and close- not a perfect mil spec reproduction like some of the rifles on here, but something near enough.

I went with a 700P and a Leupold Mk4 M1 3.5-10x. I've had some issues with the rifle itself (see 2 threads I've already started - sigh
smile.gif
), but let's just assume those will get resolved soon by Remington.

I had separate issues with Leupold. I sent in my first scope for inspection after I thought it was the culprit. It came back in *horrible* shape - ghosted double reticle, dirt in the tube, just shit. So I sent it back requesting a new one. They honored my request, but I'm kind of now looking at it, noticing little things- like the knobs not clicking the same in both directions - positive feedback in one direction, less so in the other, etc. etc., and wondering if I really am satisfied here with their product. Plus I'm dreading ever having to send it back for service seeing how they botched it so badly the first time.

So I looked back at my original objective, and looked at what the M40s had- obviously the Unertl. Well, I can't spend $2.5K on a scope right now, but I *did* notice the ST-10s. So I got to thinking- perhaps I flip my Leupold (it's virtually NIB) for ~800, add a few hundred and go USO? I just don't know- I lose variable magnification which was kind of nice..

As some side notes, I will not go anything cheaper than a Leupold- I consider them the beginning of acceptability in visual quality (looked through a lot of others at lower price points), and the next step up- the Nightforces -are really not my cup of tea.

So, advice? Suggestions? I don't think sticking with my Mk4 is a bad idea, but perhaps I can make a wiser decision here.

Oh and if I *do* decide to go USO, you bechya ass I'll be back on here with questions about all of those wonderful goodies I can customize on it
wink.gif

Thanks all!

Re: Should I just ditch my Leupold?

USO, all the way, not even a question, IMHO Leupold isn't any better than a Super Sniper or Falcon, they're just more expensive.

get the USO mil/mil and you'll never look back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
get the USO mil/mil and you'll never look back. </div></div>

That is one small consideration- I know USOs are the creme de la creme for matching up knobs, etc., but I will most likely go with a Mil reticle and 1/4 MOA knobs, only because, again, I'm trying to learn the system here more than get the absolute best. So I'd like to stick with MOA turrets and standard Mil-dot reticle like the Unertls and the M3s on the M24s. I'm saving a *truly* high end customized USO for my .338 AI one day
wink.gif

So that's my other consideration- am I kind of wasting USO's talent here when Leupold already makes it in this config (?)

I think that you should rethink the reticle/turret system. It will be easier and more intuitive if they match.

yeah, conversationally speaking... the 'old' way, (mil reticle, moa knobs) is the hard way and the knobs matching the reticle is the easy way. not saying you shouldnt learn the mil reticle/moa knob combo... but...

I agree. Ifbu take a shot and relize that your a mil off, just dial in the mil and fire again. No need to try and figure out how much to come up. It a hell of alot easier.

From a guy who has used and originally learned on the M40A1 and Unertl, go with the Mil/Mil system.

If you get to a point where you have to use a Mil/MOA system it really isn't that difficult to change over. Just a little trigger time to dial in the mental component.

I stay with the Mil/MOA for now because I am an old crotchety fart that doesn't like change.

If you are dissatisfied with the Leupold, then get the USO. If you don't have confidence in your gear you will never shoot as well as if you know it's all top notch.

If the scope works, keep it. If it's annoying but functional, mount it on something you're thinking about selling, but never palm off a malfunctioning scope on an unsuspecting shooter. It's just a bad policy or everyone involved.

If it doesn't work, discuss it with Leupold.

No need to eat anyone's mistakes. If the normal channels don't work, retart the process from the top of the pyramid downward. You provide the money in their paychecks. Be polite, be patient, give no excuses to blow you off because your frustration impairs your judgement.

Greg

BIgBrother....complete your profile

you know what i get from your schpeal.....your back story, your tale of whoa........

IT DON"T MAKE A FLYING FLIP WHAT YOU DO......its sounds like a safe queen anyway

how the fuck could one person have soo much grief with EVERY major component in your lash-up.....?

please..........

I just got my USO ST10 yesterday.........HOLY SHIT! It's just nice to look at.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Leupy Mark 4's. I would have no problem using only Leupold. Mine has served me well with not one issue.

Thanks all. Some great advice all around!

@ Greg Langelius:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If the scope works, keep it. If it's annoying but functional, mount it on something you're thinking about selling, but never palm off a malfunctioning scope on an unsuspecting shooter. It's just a bad policy or everyone involved.
</div></div>

I would never sell it if it were malfunctioning. It's at the point now where it just annoys me on little things - sort of a general quality issue. If it had something seriously wrong I'd remedy it. The rest of your advice is good as well, btw!

@ BoltTripper:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
BIgBrother....complete your profile

you know what i get from your schpeal.....your back story, your tale of whoa........

IT DON"T MAKE A FLYING FLIP WHAT YOU DO......its sounds like a safe queen anyway

how the fuck could one person have soo much grief with EVERY major component in your lash-up.....?

please.......... </div></div>

While I don't usually respond to flame (or psuedo-flame), you raise some good points- A) I am completing it momentarily
smile.gif
B) My gear is only a safe queen on day 1 of using it. What I mean is, I like to get all my components in working order before starting to use something. Once I do, it usually follows the usual path of getting beat up, etc.- consider it new toy syndrome. I had 1 thing vitally wrong with the system that sucked up all my windage and a lot of my elevation- the appearance of having everything wrong was me, having very little knowledge of bolt rifles, trying to eliminate one factor after another and asking people. I can tell you 10 things perfectly right about my rifle- because I finally determined what's wrong!

All in all good to hear what you guys think. I'm leaning toward Mk4, but first am going to focus on getting this thing right with Remington.

Thanks,
BB

The luppy is a great scope, You may just be over thinking everything. I personally don't care for the NXS and would take a good luppy say 10x m3 over one everytime.
The best advantage of the NXS is its bullet proof I would say more durable then the luppy in the worst conditions but the trade off is the damn thing is heavy as hell and twice as long. The luppy will serve you well just put it all together and shoot it.