• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Should I look at anything else before buying a Volquartsen ?

264win

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2008
    whidbey island wa.
    Getting ready to buy my ”last” semi auto 22 pistol, will be used as host for a can most of the time. I’ve had and modified rugers, Browning’s, S&W, etc and liked them all but wasn’t ever completely satisfied.
    Before I drop a chunk of change on the VQ, is there anything else I should look at ? I like the S&W 41 but it’s not the best suppressor host.

Getting ready to buy my ”last” semi auto 22 pistol, will be used as host for a can most of the time. I’ve had and modified rugers, Browning’s, S&W, etc and liked them all but wasn’t ever completely satisfied.
    Before I drop a chunk of change on the VQ, is there anything else I should look at ? I like the S&W 41 but it’s not the best suppressor host.
    You got jokes! I would go VQ, but I have a bunch of other tricked out .22lr pistols that are still better than I am.

Depending on which Volquartsen you're looking at, it's probably as good as anything else.

My Black Mamba is great for Steel Challenge, but doesn't seem to do anything special or any better than my MK III 22/45 LITE or for that matter my 422's.

One of these days, I'll pick up a threaded barrel for my 41's, but until then I'll roll with the others.

Sounds like I may just need to decide between the VQ Mamba with plastic ruger frame and the Scorpion with the aluminum frame..

If it was me, it would be the Mamba TFX, 4.5". My eyes don't work well with iron sights on pistols anymore, and it would be getting a red dot for sure.

It has an aluminum MK4 lower.

Reactions: camocorvette
    I sold my Volquartsen scorpion and went with the Volquartsen mini mamba and surefire suppressor. Love the setup. Sure have enjoyed volquartsen and the ease of cleaning is a plus with the latest generation.

I’ve been looking into 22 pistols myself and found this video. Decided to just get the VQ comp kit for my Mkii for now.

Reactions: Cowpokey
    Personally I’d go S&W Victory for modern production, and Military grip Hi-Standard for older class.

Reactions: Ravenworks
    Colt (made by Walther) has a couple full-size 1911-22 varieties. I have the Gold Cup 22. Runs suppressed very nicely. It's super awesome because the trigger components are standard 1911 parts, so you can tune the trigger very easily. Mine shoots a 3" group off a bag at 50yds using Eley Target ammo

id look at everything I can then decide to buy as much as I can at one time , but I am a hoarder . I do not believe one person can have too many guns . You can always move the furniture into storage .

How many rounds do have through yours, any issues so far?
    Hard to say on round count, maybe 4 or 5 hundred Aguila Super Extra, unsuppressed. A brick and a half-ish CCI SV with a Dead Air Mask HD suppressor. Like every rimfire, it's dirty and I clean it after every range trip. It runs much nicer than my 22/45 lite.

Reactions: 264win
    ABBABDBF-43D0-4461-A0DD-573CF23E528A.jpeg

Reactions: Beppo
    11526022-C6FC-42A7-B915-C84C1D1D68C0.jpeg

Hard to beat a VQ. I wish I used mine more but a 22lr pistol just doesn’t do anything for me. Was gonna list mine for sale from the VQ custom shop. For fun, I slapped a rifle scope on it to shoot groups and it was astonishingly accurate for a pistol. So I’d take a hard look at VQ.

IMG_6575.JPG

I just picked this VQ Mamba up last week, I have since added a Vortex Razor 3moa Red Dot to it, its a dam fine shooter, BUT its only lighter than the MK2 SS 22/45 I have had for 20 years, the trigger is slightly better v stock Ruger with a lot of rounds shot, accuracy is about the same, ie irons v Irons, the muzzle brake v the SS Mk2 recoil is about the same(weight difference MK2 is nose heavier), now the positives, transitions are faster due to the weight, the grip is was more comfortable and customizable v the mk2, the iron sights with fiber optic(green rod) are way better than the Ruger MK2 sights, the bolt is 1000% easier to rack, and is smooth as silk, 1400 rounds zero malfunctions, and its 1/2-28 threaded under the MB for my can, this sat I am going to shoot a steel challenge old man match with it, I don't expect to set world records with it but I have confidence that it will not be the reason I don't spank some ass with it.

Go VQ and never look back. I am sure there are a few out there, but I have never met someone who has regretted buying one. And if you do decide to get rid of it after a while, a whole VQ holds its' value well compared to a franken pistol.

I have owned a VQ Scorpion 4.5" for over 4 years now and it is an awesome pistol. I wanted a reliable .22 LR I could put my can on and easily mount any red dot optic. I picked the Scorpion since I wanted an aluminum 1911 grip angle and you can't get that combo with the MK4, even though the MK4 takedown is impossible to mess up.

With that said, it has been utterly reliable and I only clean it every 500-ish rounds. The DLC bolt keeps things running smoothly and the comp eliminates what is left of any muzzle climb a 22 has. I topped mine with a Holosun, swapped out the RMR after I took the pic below, and it gets shot on every range session. Did I mention how the trigger break is like a mouse-click?

It is also a perfect pistol to teach new shooters while running subsonic ammo and a can to eliminate the flinching from the noise of a centerfire.

Everything about these full-house VQ guns is fantastic. I doubt you would be unhappy with any of them.

Just save this link as reference material if you go the Scorpion route

Attachments

• 33A977CB-7BAA-4E8E-AF67-FD158C31BB16.jpeg
      33A977CB-7BAA-4E8E-AF67-FD158C31BB16.jpeg
      732.7 KB · Views: 1,008
    Last edited:
    Have a VQ mini mamba and added a tri-lug adaptor and it’s so quick to assemble.
    No cross threading or changing adaptors for the can. Very accurate and very quiet being subsonic with the short barrel with any ammo. Love this setup!! Good luck with the search!!

B9340890-7B84-4ABB-B513-85B0FEE1BF42.jpeg0EB105CD-672F-4055-8721-03E2D3A7C0FD.jpeg9A657014-0AE3-4B45-9117-38DFFF659B26.jpeg

Have you shot this to 25 or 50 yds?
    I was curious how well the bullets are stabilized out of such a short barrel.
    Have not shot 50 but 25 it groups as well as my mark 4 hunter with a 6.8” barrel with VQ internals. Can’t wait to compare @50 and will post the results.

Those old High Standard 106 and 107 Citation's and Trophy's have single action triggers that are so nice and light its hard for new pistols to compete with them.

I ended up with some owned by a national champion. One Trophy in particular he won the Nationals twice with. These had been tuned by pro's 50 years ago and shoot awesome. He had the front straps stippled so the collector value is gone but I like them anyway. Thinking hard about putting a RD on one for Steel Challenge since my TX22 sucks compared to it.

I also have a Benelli P90S which only holds 9 rounds but the trigger isn't as nice as the aforementioned.

I bought a Tandemkross kraken lower and black mamba upper from a gentleman in the px. Cant imagine a better 22 pistol

Those old High Standard 106 and 107 Citation's and Trophy's have single action triggers that are so nice and light its hard for new pistols to compete with them.

I ended up with some owned by a national champion. One Trophy in particular he won the Nationals twice with. These had been tuned by pro's 50 years ago and shoot awesome. He had the front straps stippled so the collector value is gone but I like them anyway. Thinking hard about putting a RD on one for Steel Challenge since my TX22 sucks compared to it.

I also have a Benelli P90S which only holds 9 rounds but the trigger isn't as nice as the aforementioned.

from my perspective ( I admit a lot of personal bias) nothing made today out performs the old classics. The only reason I got something modern ( victory) was because I refuse to cut on a classic.
    I started my shooting with a high standard shooting old fashion precision bullseye and guns that are capable of cleaning those 25 and 50 yard targets can’t really be improved upon.
    modern stuff like all the tactical do dads and red dots have a place, but will only approach but not surpass the inherent accuracy capabilities of those old timers

Reactions: steve123
    from my perspective ( I admit a lot of personal bias) nothing made today out performs the old classics. The only reason I got something modern ( victory) was because I refuse to cut on a classic.
    I started my shooting with a high standard shooting old fashion precision bullseye and guns that are capable of cleaning those 25 and 50 yard targets can’t really be improved upon.
    modern stuff like all the tactical do dads and red dots have a place, but will only approach but not surpass the inherent accuracy capabilities of those old timers

The previous owner put a Docter reflex on one of the Trophy's but its mounted near the end of the barrel which I personally don't like but one Citation has holes drilled near the chamber end so that's my candidate.

With my other 22 pistols the triggers are heavy enough that I'll pull some shots off wide but the High Standards are hard to miss with because the triggers are so superb.

The Trophy he won twice with put 25 rounds into 1" at 50Y out of a Ransom Rest. The other HS's weren't much worse which were his practice guns.

I'm pretty sure I'll be at the top of our local 22rf pistol steel challenge once I get a reflex put on the Citation.

The previous owner put a Docter reflex on one of the Trophy's but its mounted near the end of the barrel which I personally don't like but one Citation has holes drilled near the chamber end so that's my candidate.

With my other 22 pistols the triggers are heavy enough that I'll pull some shots off wide but the High Standards are hard to miss with because the triggers are so superb.

The Trophy he won twice with put 25 rounds into 1" at 50Y out of a Ransom Rest. The other HS's weren't much worse which were his practice guns.

I'm pretty sure I'll be at the top of our local 22rf pistol steel challenge once I get a reflex put on the Citation.
    Just remember, a new barrel is a button push away, I’d never alter an original. Just slapped a scope on my Volquartsen barrel for the High Standard, it makes for true “pocket rifle” accuracy 👍
    IMG_9844.jpeg

Reactions: steve123