• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Should I put lube on suppressor adapter threads?

CypressJeff

Private
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2010
I will be mounting my 30P-1 to my Rogue Hunter tomorrow with a TRON adapter and am wondering if I should put some type of lube on the threads. Any suggestions?

Re: Should I put lube on suppressor adapter threads?

Nope. Just make sure the first time you screw it together you take it easy, just in case something was close to outside spec. In that case, anti-seize can "save" you.

Dissimilar metals? I would use anti-seize! Those 1/2 X 20 threads are easy to start wrong.

If you can find it, I recommend Molykote 1000 anti-seize. It's a Dow Corning product but I get free sample tubes from Sandvik sales people. We use them on torx machine screws that hold carbide inserts to face mills. We run these tools dry (no coolant) through heat treated stainless and exotic superalloys, sometimes to the point where the carbide inserts will start glowing cherry red with long cycle times.

The petroleum based suspension fluid will evaporate from the heat but the high concentration of molybdenum disulfide solids remain. I've never snapped a screw head or had one seize in the 5+ years I've been using it. I don't think anything short of a full-auto shoot approaches the thermal and mechanical stress seen in dry machining so it's good to go. I've pretty much switched anything requiring anti-seize to it including my cans.

my rifle builder told me to put anti-sieze on the the threads when using a can on the rifle. He likes the nickel based versus the copper based. Just relaying what I was told.

Marcus

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pmarcusm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my rifle builder told me to put anti-sieze on the the threads when using a can on the rifle. He likes the nickel based versus the copper based. Just relaying what I was told.

Marcus</div></div>

+1 on the nickel based

I use Moly paste, but nickle based anti-sieze is the right choice over copper. Copper typically has a 1800 degree f limitation +\-. The threads may see higher temps than 1800 if the threads are not good and tight.

Do not confuse using anti-sieze with a direct thread on....and using it with an adapter.

Its two threads vs four.

Its one set of facing and shoulder vs two.

Leave them dry. Check them often. Remove them when done.

where do you find the nickel based? i have been using the copper and thats the only kind i found in auto parts stores.

Make sure your Anit-Seize is good and not outdated. I had some in a small tube for XXX years. I was using it on my YHM Mite can for easy dissasebly. Well, it wasnt all that easy to take apart. Bought some new anti-seize at auto parts store and noticed it was a little thicker. Its slick as owl shit and the Mite can comes apart ALOT easier!