• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Should I re-blue or not.....

Laser1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2009
The Great State of Texas
I have an '80's vintage Winchester Super Express in 375 H&H. It is presently up at a friends and I have heard through the grapevine that its been neglected to the point that it has some rust areas on the barrel, bottom metal and receiver. A friend told me that it also is showing different colorations of blue on the bottom metal as opposed to the receiver and barrel. My question, is should I have it re-blued or leave it be. Will it loose any value by having it re-blued since it is a 30 year or so old Winchester. If re-blueing looks to be the best solution, I'll definately send it off to be professionally done. Thx.

Re: Should I re-blue or not.....

I'd re-blue, but you don't have to send it far. There are plenty shops in Texas I would tink.

Hard call to make. It will decrease the value if you have it reblued but since its not a pre 64 I think you would be fine having it reblued.
Alot would depend on how bad it was rusted. I little breakfree and some 0000 steel wool will take alot of the rust off and probaly clean it up pretty good but if its got pitting your probably screwed..

Not a "vintage" rifle. No value as an antique. Clean it up and shoot it. There are many different agents you can use. The "Blue Wonder" kit removes the rust and leaves a blue finish. Won't harm the original. I like the Brownell's "Oxpho" bluing solution. It leaves a phosphated surface that resists rust, and is blacker than Blue Wonder. For Oxpho, I use about 2/3 Oxpho and 1/3 Solox. That lets it cut any grease or oil left on the part. Put it in a plastic or glass container, dip some 0000steel wool into it and rub the rusted area. Dry. Repeat. Sometimes 4 or 5 times. Throw the steel wool away between sessions. (The Oxpho disolves it). When you get the color you want, wipe it down with water and dry. Anoint with oil. Breakfree works well. JMHO

That definately sounds like a workable solution. Once I get the rifle back, I'll have a better idea as to how rusted it is. Thx.