• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Should I Sell?

Buckoman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2008
Hatfield, Pa
I have a custom built Reminton 260. Fluted bolt, Sako extractor, Tactical bolt, Bued/Trued, pinned lug for switch barrel, Mike Rock ie Rock Creek M24 26" 1:8 twist barrel bla bla bla. The thing regularly shoots 5 round 0.3MOA at 100 yards all day long easily. 1/2 MOA at 600 without even trying.

Reason I'm considering a sell is I bought a Surgeon receiver and am considering a new build. Kinda need the cash for the build but I can't get over getting rid of a gun that shoots <span style="font-style: italic">that</span> good.

Any thoughts?

Re: Should I Sell?

keep it, eat ramen for awhile, build what you want lol. Seriously if you like it keep it as you may always wish you still had it. Clean the bench, closets, storage boxes etc you never know what you may find to help a build. Good luck

ya its hard to justify dropping a 1/3moa gun isn't it. Anyone else care to weigh in?

I've been there and done that. I know where you are right now. From my experience, I've sold an awesome "fill in the blank" in order to get something newer that I thought would be more awesome. Pretty much every single time I was disappointed to some degree with the new toy. Sometimes it wasnt as good as I thought it would be but alot of times I regretted selling the old toy. Sellers remorse is a bitch!

My advice would be if you are sick and tired of the old rifle and want something new then go for it.

If you think you will really miss the old toy then dont do it! I would keep the old rifle and sell the Surgeon action so its no longer a distraction.

On a similar note, if you decide to sell the Surgeon action let me know. I may be interested.

maybe what I should do is put them both up for sale n see what goes first lol. FWIW its a RSR Surgeon with grenade knob and rail.

Keep it. You won't get your money out of it and the used gun market right now sucks. With all the work into it, it would be pretty easy to rebarrel it if you ever decided to change cartridges too. I know what you're going through... I have sold a TON of awesome shit to move forward on something else!

Sell the 260 and build what you want right now.

I have one rifle that was 2 years of thinking to build, because it's parts were collected by oppertunity of a good deal.

Finally needed more cash and ended up thinning my herd way down. And after it's build I was only shooting it, so the rest of the herd is gone now.

Think of it like this:

-you can only shoot one rifle at a time,
-really easy to have one bullet, in one rifle, with one ballistics and set of attributes
-less time spent fiddle fucking around with other rifle's and their time consuming bullshit, means more time focused on the rifle at hand
-ever wonder why with all the other new uber good shit rounds come out and the full time shooters still use 308Win, 260Rem, 243Win and other custom manufactured ammo is always available and extremely consistant?

Basicly it is much better to really be "the guy that owns one rifle probably knows how to use it"...than have a shitpot of rifles and have mediocre experiance with each one. I have seen a guy run the hell of a factory 5R in 308Win....and he was more consistant with that rifle than others of our group with 2-6 rifles...he had others but the round count on the 5R was around 3000-4000 and the other rifles had he owned had under 1000 each.

If having one rifle of exactly your newest fancy means selling a used condom then go for it, otherwise save slow and build a new rifle and keep the 260Rem as the backup rifle.

Are 1/3 MOA guns easy to come by? I'll post some target pix if I can figure out how. Just took a pix of one at a hundred that was exactly 1/4MOA for 5 rounds. I wouldn't mind selling if I could guarantee another shooter like this one.

I'd keep it until you complete your build a see how it shoots compared to your 260 then make decision. I personally wouldn't sell a 1/3" rifle. I made that mistake once to get something new and have regretted it ever since.

I kinda think the challange of getting to that accruacy point is the fun part....most tuned firearms are more capable than the shooter. I easily threw 1st round hits on with my 7-08 at 950 yards and 720 yards in a new area and using a simple drop chart....and I am by no means a great shot, Kentucky Windage, and a factory barrel trued and chopped....a SPS Varminter basicly trued and in a MCM A1-3 with 3-9 SS on it....very handy and not a custom but it shoots better than I can and I would be less concerned with the MOA capability and see WTF you can actually do with the rifle....find a limit and if you are not happy with it change somthing. Don't forget how easy a Surgeon is for a switchbarrel....and for anouthe $400 when you have the rifle built you could probably find a used or new 260Rem barrel and have it mounted to your Surgeon if you really love that round and want it again.

No matter what I belive in setting any rifle that is machined or built to be set up as a switch barrel....it is not alot. Mainly just pinning the recoil lug. (there is more to it than that but there isn't a hell of a lot more as far as material cost untill you have another barrel installed)

Personally I would weigh your fancy....don't decide within 3 months or you could regret it....if you spend 3 months thinking about it and still want to do it go for it. Alot of people build rifles on impulse....which is fine as well....they weighed it differently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Master_Blaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a custom built Reminton 260. Fluted bolt, Sako extractor, Tactical bolt, Bued/Trued, pinned lug for switch barrel, Mike Rock ie Rock Creek M24 26" 1:8 twist barrel bla bla bla. The thing regularly shoots 5 round 0.3MOA at 100 yards all day long easily. 1/2 MOA at 600 without even trying.

Reason I'm considering a sell is I bought a Surgeon receiver and am considering a new build. Kinda need the cash for the build but I can't get over getting rid of a gun that shoots <span style="font-style: italic">that</span> good.

Any thoughts? </div></div>

if you have a rifle that consistantly shoots .3 MOA and think that another rifle is going to shoot as well or better, then I have some advice.

Build your "dream rifle" piece by piece <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">before</span></span> you sell your current rifle. When you get your dream rifle to shoot that good, go ahead and sell your other rifle. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">A consistant .3 MOA rifle is a hard thing to come by</span>.</span>

Keep the one you have...and build the other as funds allow.

It doesnt bother me that I only have 1 complete rifle and I have 4 others that I am piecing together

This is the kinda argument I find myself in all the time... and everytime I sell a gun like that, it is never without regret. Even if the new gun shoots as well, sell a hammer and you will think about it down the road.

That said, it doesn't stop me from doing the same thing all the time
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

if you have a rifle that consistantly shoots .3 MOA and think that another rifle is going to shoot as well or better, then I have some advice.

Build your "dream rifle" piece by piece <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">before</span></span> you sell your current rifle. When you get your dream rifle to shoot that good, go ahead and sell your other rifle. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">A consistant .3 MOA rifle is a hard thing to come by</span>.</span> </div></div>

I think this is the best advise yet. That's what I think I'm going to do. Thanks Ya'll

... if the Rock still has a bit of life, screw it on the Surgeon?? Sell the Rem artifact.

I'd keep a reliable and accurate rifle. I only sell the stuff I don't regularly shoot.

With out question, I would keep it. Find the parts for your new build over time(hopefully at discounted prices). Once you have most of the parts in hand save up the cash and send them to the smith. In the end you'll have 2 great shooters, and your not without while it's being built. And you'll have a great backup.

that would be a keeper, sell something else to finance your surgeon project, remember that two guns is one and one is none.