• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Should I send barrel back to Faxon, or return to OpticsPlanet and give up on them?

hotmoistandhunky

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2023
Tennessee
I've had two Faxon Match barrels so far. I have not been impressed from the get-go. These barrels come in a shitty plastic sleeve with zero padding, my latest one was halfway protruding out of the cardboard box OpticsPlanet sent it in.

The first one was a Heavy Fluted Match 18", I was actually decently impressed with how it handled 55gr stuff - shooting cheapo XTAC ammo at a consistent 1.8-2.2 MOA. Unfortunately, on the other side of the coin SMK tipped ammo like IMI/AAC couldn't push past 1.5 MOA. I sold it and instead bought their:

Gunner Match 18", this one is way worse. Shooting a solid 2.0 MOA with SMK tipped ammo, slinging 55gr stuff at about 3.0-4.0 MOA.
image.png

I've tried
  • IMI 77gr SMKs
  • PMC XTAC 55gr
  • Fiocchi 62gr BTFMJ
  • Frontier 68 & 75gr OTM
  • AAC 77gr SMKs and 75gr OTM
These are all loads that grouped well in my old Criterion barrel.

I see a lot of raving reviews on Faxon's review pages - 5 star across the board. Everyone saying their barrels shoot excellently. But I'm 2/2 for barrels that simply do not perform.

I am shooting off bags, with a 10x optic and no wind. I am allowing the barrel to cool for 15 minutes between groups, in 30-40f weather.

I have checked witness marks on my scope, my barrel nut, and my muzzle device. Both barrels were thermally fit into a BCM upper.

For the record, here's the best group I ever shot with my old Criterion, using factory IMI ammo. 5 shots in there.

1675641793513.png

Do I bother dealing with Faxon's swamped CS and hope #3 is better? Or do I just return to opticsplanet (if they even accept the return).

Thanks

Last edited:
That sucks. I don’t have a lot of faith in OP but I would try. Not sure what their guarantee or policy is. I would return it if possible. But I don’t use either optics planet or faxon. I like criterion for my midtier builds but I’ve heard better things about Ballistics Advantage than faxon for budget barrels.

Reactions: bfoosh006
Faxon barrels are Shit!!!

The two cheapest barrels I'd ever recommend someone to purchase is Wilson Combat $250-$300 or WOA $275-$350

You're going to piss away any money you "saved" trying to get those garbage barrels to shoot and if you can't afford a $250 Recon barrel from Wilson combat then it's probably best to find another hobby.

I wouldn’t bother with a Faxon for any serious precision rig. Maybe for a gamer rig, at best. Return to OP, move on and buy a good barrel.

You don’t need a $900 Bartlein, but cmon.

The two cheapest barrels I'd ever recommend someone to purchase is Wilson Combat $250-$300 or WOA $275-$350

You're going to piss away any money you "saved" trying to get those garbage barrels to shoot and if you can't afford a $250 Recon barrel from Wilson combat then it's probably best to find another hobby.

I wouldn’t bother with a Faxon for any serious precision rig. Maybe for a gamer rig, at best. Return to OP, move on and buy a good barrel.

You don’t need a $900 Bartlein, but cmon.

So the reason I was attracted to these was the weight and availability, not the cost.

White Oak seem like fantastic barrels (id get their 3-gunner version) and are something I am considering but I don’t like their gas length being 1” shorter than rifle length. Would mean I’d have to change my rail out. Also stainless scares me

Criterion seems like the best option, they’re not the most accurate option but they are chrome lined and better balanced/less whippy.

Ultimately either of those aren’t going to be available for months.

This AR has had four barrels in it so far, still hunting that perfect balance between weight and accuracy.

Welcome to the rack grade lottery.

You need to get over your gas length issues. If I were you I would try one of these

Reactions: RTH1800 and 346ci
Welcome to the rack grade lottery.

You need to get over your gas length issues. If I were you I would try one of these

The issue is I don't like the gas block sitting under the handguard because I've had issues with gas block clearance on .750" barrels even when using low-profile gas blocks.

With the 1" short gas system on the WOA, I'd have to shrink my rail by 1" if I wanted to keep gas block outside. This means losing an MLOK slot, which at 11-12" handguard length is valuable.

Plus, the only 11.5" handguard midwest offers is their combat rail series which is 4oz heavier by default.

There isn’t anything “match” about them turds, I’d send them back for a full refund and never buy another.

ARP all day at that price range..

How did all those loads group well in your criterion? Several of those loads are only good for 1.5-3” groups! PMC Tac and Frontier ammo are not known for great precision.

How are you cleaning the barrel? You may have heavy fouling from shooting the cheap ammo through the barrel and then trying to gauge precision after that if you aren’t cleaning.

Do you have a borescope? If so, what does the barrel/gas port look like?

Also, you showed what your best group ever looked like. What do typical average groups look like? Are you capable of shooting sub 3/4moa with an AR consistently? If not, part of the results could be due to your technique.

Faxon is garbage. Proof SS barrels are the best off the shelf AR15 match barrels you can get and are well worth their price.

So the reason I was attracted to these was the weight and availability, not the cost.

White Oak seem like fantastic barrels (id get their 3-gunner version) and are something I am considering but I don’t like their gas length being 1” shorter than rifle length. Would mean I’d have to change my rail out. Also stainless scares me

Criterion seems like the best option, they’re not the most accurate option but they are chrome lined and better balanced/less whippy.

This AR has had four barrels in it so far, still hunting that perfect balance between weight and accuracy.
I've had quite a few Faxon barrels and never had one that didn't shoot very well, White Oak uses Wilson barrels and you can buy Wilsons at JSE Surplus, I've used probably around 50 and never had a bad one. One thing to note on nitrided barrels is that you need to seriously scrub the barrel to get any left over junk out of the barrel. If you don't, it will take about 100 bullets down the tube to clear it out. You didn't mention what twist your barrels are but if they are 8, most aren't going to shoot a 77 gr bullet.

Reactions: bfoosh006
There isn’t anything “match” about them turds, I’d send them back for a full refund and never buy another.

ARP all day at that price range..
I like ARP as well, and have a couple 6.8sbrs I built with his barrels, but I’m not positive he’ll have a heavier profile in the 18” and the stock is probably limited for what he has. The prices are insanely good for the quality IMO.

I also like criterion for mid grade barrels. All of mine have been shooters for the money.

I've had quite a few Faxon barrels and never had one that didn't shoot very well, White Oak uses Wilson barrels and you can buy Wilsons at JSE Surplus, I've used probably around 50 and never had a bad one. One thing to note on nitrided barrels is that you need to seriously scrub the barrel to get any left over junk out of the barrel. If you don't, it will take about 100 bullets down the tube to clear it out. You didn't mention what twist your barrels are but if they are 8, most aren't going to shoot a 77 gr bullet.

What? 8 twists shoot a 77gr bullet just fine if the barrel isnt a POS.

Isn't the OP the guy that started a barrel advice thread, mentioned a Faxon he already owned that shot poorly, was warned against Faxon, went ahead and bought another Faxon then tried to sell something outside the PX and caught a ban then came back with a new username? Pretty sure that's this guy.

I like ARP as well, and have a couple 6.8sbrs I built with his barrels, but I’m not positive he’ll have a heavier profile in the 18” and the stock is probably limited for what he has. The prices are insanely good for the quality IMO.

I also like criterion for mid grade barrels. All of mine have been shooters for the money.
You are right, I have retired and probably have less than 100 barrels left. The only 18s I have are stainless and are a lighter profile after the 3 gun guys said they wanted a faster swinging barrel.

Reactions: 346ci and lash
You are right, I have retired and probably have less than 100 barrels left. The only 18s I have are stainless and are a lighter profile after the 3 gun guys said they wanted a faster swinging barrel.
I’ve always been beyond happy with your barrels. Enjoy the retirement.

Isn't the OP the guy that started a barrel advice thread, mentioned a Faxon he already owned that shot poorly, was warned against Faxon, went ahead and bought another Faxon then tried to sell something outside the PX and caught a ban then came back with a new username? Pretty sure that's this guy.
Yup, that's him. He was banned using his previous user name, hidaro, in his thread that you described:

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/white-oak-barrels-vs-faxon-match-criterion.7150290/

Then he came back with this different user name, hotmoistandhunky, the same one that he is using in this current thread and posted not only this current thread with the new user name,, but another one on the same subject in the thread linked below:

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...tory-ammo-like-m193-frontier-imi-etc.7158357/

Yup, that's him. He was banned using his previous user name, hidaro, in his thread that you described:

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/white-oak-barrels-vs-faxon-match-criterion.7150290/

Then he came back with this different user name, hotmoistandhunky, the same one that he is using in this current thread and posted not only this current thread with the new user name,, but another one on the same subject in the thread linked below:

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...tory-ammo-like-m193-frontier-imi-etc.7158357/

I thought so.
I wonder what Faxon he'll buy after this thread.

I have a Faxon on my .224 Valkyrie. Prints cloverleafs. Have another in 6.5 Grendel I haven't used yet.

I have a Faxon on my .224 Valkyrie. Prints cloverleafs. Have another in 6.5 Grendel I haven't used yet.

It’s crazy how 50% of people claim their faxons shoot great and the other 50% say they’re trash. you dont see that kinda split with other manufacturers besides maybe BA

So, pretty much a 50/50 chance of getting either a shooter or a dog. Sounds like a crap shoot.

It’s crazy how 50% of people claim their faxons shoot great and the other 50% say they’re trash. you dont see that kinda split with other manufacturers besides maybe BA
Don't know what to say. It shoots like it shoots. Based on the math, looks like my other barrel is going to be a piece of shit. :)

• Haha
Reactions: BCP and lash
The issue is I don't like the gas block sitting under the handguard because I've had issues with gas block clearance on .750" barrels even when using low-profile gas blocks.

With the 1" short gas system on the WOA, I'd have to shrink my rail by 1" if I wanted to keep gas block outside. This means losing an MLOK slot, which at 11-12" handguard length is valuable.

Plus, the only 11.5" handguard midwest offers is their combat rail series which is 4oz heavier by default.
Got it. Return it and try another Faxon until you find a good one. See you in 2024.

Faxon didn't want to do anything about my overgassed shit accuracy 308 barrel but maybe they will help you. I've had bad barrels from a couple companies and individuals that were supposed to be a sure thing. It happens.

CA is your answer

Update: I took the 2.5-10x optic off of the rifle and put it on my other build, which is a Criterion 10.5".

Exact same behavior is happening, no better than 2.0 no matter what ammo I throw through it. Matchkings and xtac are grouping the exact same 10-shot radius.

My last criterion shot matchking tipped factory ammo 1.0 or better, with ease.

I'm thinking it could be an optic problem.. but it's holding zero. And nothing's loose in the mount

I've currently got a Faxon match barrel and it's not shooting as good as I'd hope it would

I sold it and instead bought their Gunner Match 18", this one is way worse.

Update: I took the 2.5-10x optic off of the rifle and put it on my other build, which is a Criterion 10.5". Exact same behavior is happening, no better than 2.0 no matter what ammo I throw through it

Barrel after barrel after barrel that “won’t group” when you shoot them. I can’t quite put my finger on what the common denominator is in all of this.

Last edited:
Barrel after barrel after barrel that “won’t group” when you shoot them. I can’t quite put my finger on what the common denominator is in all of this.

You know, for someone who tries to be a bastion of knowledge and try to better the community, you come off as a real dick. I'm just asking for help and you seek me out to harass me after I've asked you to not. If you have advice to give me, I'm all ears.

You know, for someone who tries to be a bastion of knowledge and try to better the community, you come off as a real dick. I'm just asking for help and you seek me out to harass me after I've asked you to not. If you have advice to give me, I'm all ears.
A little friendly advice from one of the most hate filled guys you will ever meet. After you are branded on a forum don't expect much help.

Hey, at least @Constructor is self aware. A rarity on the internet.

OP, like T-Swift, you might be the problem. I had the same first thought as @Molon.

My *second* thought was, you haven't tried anything better than rack grade barrels. Criterions are a lottery with better odds than Faxon, but still a lottery.

I think we've established you're not lucky.

Try WOA, report back, and then we'll know if it's the barrel or the loose nut behind the butt.

That's the spirit, OP. And if it's you, work on it. How do you get to Carnegie Hall...

You know, for someone who tries to be a bastion of knowledge and try to better the community, you come off as a real dick.

Maybe when you’re banned again under this second user name that you’re using now and then show up with a third user name and start a third thread on the same topic, maybe someone will show up in that thread and tell you exactly what you want to hear; that the problem isn’t your poor choice of barrels, or your poor choice of ammunition or your glaring ignorance of the subject matter or the fact that knowledgeable people gave you good advice and you not only ignored their advice, but started slinging insults at them and acted like they were the ones who didn’t know what they were talking about.

….

Last edited:
Hey, at least @Constructor is self aware. A rarity on the internet.

OP, like T-Swift, you might be the problem. I had the same first thought as @Molon.

My *second* thought was, you haven't tried anything better than rack grade barrels. Criterions are a lottery with better odds than Faxon, but still a lottery.

I think we've established you're not lucky.

Try WOA, report back, and then we'll know if it's the barrel or the loose nut behind the butt.

So Faxon replied and asked me to try FGMM (I have some on the way) and to try a different optic, remove muzzle devices and check the headspace.

As for the headspace, would that really affect accuracy if the gun's functioning? All a go/no go gauge would really do for me is tell me that the gun is able to chamber rounds properly and operate in a safe manner, no?

Something just feels off about all this.. I wish I could find someone near me willing to put my optic on their gun and shoot some groups for me to rule it out.

I also was able to put a Criterion 18" on backorder, I'm half tempted to order a WOA as well and compare them side-by-side and see which I like better.

But, at this point, something feels like it's not my barrels fault.

I use Stoner, which is Liberty, which is Faxon. - I'm guessing here.

I don't shoot well enough to tell anyone which barrel they MUST buy. Not guessing here.

I try to stick with just telling folks what I do. Makes sense to me.

Greg

PS - Maybe the problem is that loose nut behind the butt pad. Joking here; have a sense of humor, folks...

Last edited:

I am looking to build a 14.5" in 223 wylde. What brand barrel would you suggest. I want to be able to do everything form CQB to 500-600m. It will be used for long strings of fire, as well as precesion shooting.

Do the 2 you mentioned stand? Is there any other options?

One thing I have seen is the barrel is probably the most important thing when building. So I want a really good barrel to build off of. I was going to get a BA Hanson barrel. Now I'm not sure if that's what I want.

Would like a sub moa realistically, and .5moa ideally. I'm a capable shooter to achieve this I just want the correct equipment to be able to do this consistently for the longest I can go before having to replace parts.

Thank you in advanced!

I am looking to build a 14.5" in 223 wylde. What brand barrel would you suggest. I want to be able to do everything form CQB to 500-600m. It will be used for long strings of fire, as well as precesion shooting.

Do the 2 you mentioned stand? Is there any other options?

One thing I have seen is the barrel is probably the most important thing when building. So I want a really good barrel to build off of. I was going to get a BA Hanson barrel. Now I'm not sure if that's what I want.

Would like a sub moa realistically, and .5moa ideally. I'm a capable shooter to achieve this I just want the correct equipment to be able to do this consistently for the longest I can go before having to replace parts.

Thank you in advanced!

Since you want this to be a compact precision barrel Id go this way.

Compass Lake engineering Douglas Blank

14.5"
Medium / Heavy Contour
Mid Length Gas
.750 Gas Block Journal
CLE Match Chamber
1-7 Twist
9/16x24 or 5/8x24 Threads

$400

Last edited:
Since you want this to be compact precision barrel Id go this way.

Compass Lake engineering

14.5"
Medium / Heavy Contour
Mid Length Gas
.750 Gas Block Journal
CLE Match Chamber
1-7 Twist
9/16x24 or 5/8x24 Threads
Awesome, thank you! Will the CLE Chamber allow me to run majority ammo from 55gr and up? 77gr will be my go to. I have no plan on hand loading yet. Possibly in a couple years

Awesome, thank you! Will the CLE Chamber allow me to run majority ammo from 55gr and up? 77gr will be my go to. I have no plan on hand loading yet. Possibly in a couple years

I'm sorry I neglected to mention that the above specs that I posted was for a Douglas Barrel, and they only come in 1-7 and 1-8 Twist... I was trying to keep you in the $400 price range. The CLE chamber tends to favor the 77gr projectiles, if you're wanting to run 55 as well with a standard 1-7 or 1-8 twist I would get the wylde chamber.

I can give you a definite yes on the 77 grain projectiles but I'm not sure about the 55gr, most the barrels that I order have a 1- 7.7 twist and will shoot both 55 and 77 extremely well. But they are $650 + and can't really take the abuse the Douglas barrels can.

Reactions: Rxgrt
Thank you for clarifying that for me!

Appreciate you keeping me at that $400 mark. Past that I feel like I should just get a Proof Barrel.

I'm super excited to get this build going. I'll be sure to make a post when it's completed, and how the groupings look.

Thank you again for helping me out.

Thank you for clarifying that for me!

Appreciate you keeping me at that $400 mark. Past that I feel like I should just get a Proof Barrel.

I'm super excited to get this build going. I'll be sure to make a post when it's completed, and how the groupings look.

Thank you again for helping me out.

If you decide to go with Proof Research pick up a SS not CF.

If you decide to go with Proof Research pick up a SS not CF.
I know you are talking .223, but the same goes for 6mm ARC. I swapped out my 20in Faxon barrel for an 18in SS Proof barrel and the difference is incredible. The SS is going to be a lot heavier but still manageable. The Faxon is a very light barrel. The weight difference alone can help or hurt accuracy.

In regards to my input on Faxon...they are just okay. They are capable of being a decent option if you are building a really light build. Obviously their pencil profile is light, but also is their medium and heavy contour when compared to other brands.

I have a Faxon match barrel now in 6.5 creedmoor. I replaced by Ballistic Advantage barrel because I wanted to cut weight on my AR10. I was able to save a pound and it shot just as well as the BA...which is just okay...5 rounds with 1.5 MOA groups.

I have a 20in Faxon match barrel in 6mm ARC. Shoots 5 rounds at 1 MOA very consistently. It is a lighter barrel so does have a very large change of impact shift with a suppressor. I fell in love with the 6mm ARC cartridge so I traded out the Faxon barrel for a 18in Proof SS. With my hand loads I can shoot 5 round clovers all day. The plan is to sell my 6.5 creed faxon and BA barrels, and faxon 6mm arc barrel for a Proof barrel for my 6.5 cm. Should have just spent the big money the first time.

I don't bash Faxon, but I don't expect anything special from them either. Great barrel if you want a light build. If going .223 and want to be in the same price range, I recommend the 16in BA fluted .223 wylde. It's a 1MOA barrel, 3/4 MOA with custom load ammo.