• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Should I start looking for a trigger now for my 5R

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
I have a new Mil Spec 5R in 223 on its way. I assume it has the new Xmark trigger. I have read mixed reviews on this trigger. My question. Should I give this trigger a chance, or maybe have it massaged, or should I immediately start looking for an aftermarket or worked over old style rem 700 trigger for it.

The rifle will be used for LR precision.

Re: Should I start looking for a trigger now for my 5R

If you can find a pre xmark trigger for a good price either stock or that has been worked by someone competent or find a 40x trigger those would be good upgrades. It would be best to start looking now, they don't come up for sale that often and usually go fast. Have to be a little careful though as there have been different safety versions and you want one someone has not destroyed trying to adjust, or that has been worked over by someone who didn't know what they were doing. Remington still sells the 40x trigger so it may be possible to order one directly from them, not sure.

If you have reasonable expectations the x-mark is not a bad trigger but you can't take them too light. If you want something under 3.5-4lbs the xmarks become inconsistent when set lighter than that. Though I'm still curious why that is, there are not a lot of moving parts to the trigger so the reports of them jumping up significantly in pull weight seem odd, almost as if something in the trigger is chewing itself up, or breaking. Seems no one has figured out in those cases what the problem is that causes the inconsistent pull weight. In every case I've read about though the issues have been with triggers taken under 3.5lbs. For a factory trigger they have very acceptable creep and over travel, the big complaint guys have is they can't get them light enough, and if they try, things seem to go wrong.

If you want something under 3.5lbs that has benchrest trigger quality, then the x-mark is not going to get it done. Myself I don't want anything under 3.5lbs on a field rifle, if it's strictly going to be used for target use there are several aftermarket options, however again many of the best triggers judged purely by feel do not like to be dirty.

Well if your aware of these trigger issuies,then starting a fund for a replacement trigger is a good idea.
Chances are that you could sell the x-mark to recoup some cost.
My advice would be to get one to start with for consistancies sake.
Now you also can think about the J-lock.

if The 5Rs are set up like the Police- They don't
have the Dreaded J lock...

a Big + 1 on the Timney...

Steve

I have two of the new X Mark triggers. One on a 223 SPS T and one on a 308 5R Milspec, no J Lock on either.

I adjusted both per instructions posted on 24 Hour Campfire
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2185569/page/1

Did not go as far as polishing the sear elements. Adjusted over travel and pull weight. Engagement was OK from Remmy.

Biggest task was getting the locking goo to let go. A pencil soldering iron directly on the screws did the trick.

Both break at about 2.5 lb and are plenty good enough for my limited abilities & experience.

Bottom line is it is worth a little time spent adjusting the X Mark trigger before spending the $$$ for an aftermarket one.

OFG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldfatguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have two of the new X Mark triggers. One on a 223 SPS T and one on a 308 5R Milspec, no J Lock on either.

I adjusted both per instructions posted on 24 Hour Campfire
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2185569/page/1

Did not go as far as polishing the sear elements. Adjusted over travel and pull weight. Engagement was OK from Remmy.

Biggest task was getting the locking goo to let go. A pencil soldering iron directly on the screws did the trick.

Both break at about 2.5 lb and are plenty good enough for my limited abilities & experience.

Bottom line is it is worth a little time spent adjusting the X Mark trigger before spending the $$$ for an aftermarket one.

OFG </div></div>

I adjusted my X-pro trigger down to 1.75 pounds, but it wasnt 1.75 pounds every time I pulled the trigger, and thats the point here, they are NOT consistant at all! And that narrow/smooth trigger shoe was driving me nutts also.

Another 5r owner here... For those that have had both, how does the Timney compare to a Jewell (sp?) or some of the others? Are there significant differences?

The Jewel has a lot of reports of not running well dirty but the trigger pull/break is very nice. I could never get used to their trigger face, it's very narrow 1/8"-3/16" maybe and with sharp corners, if you like the remington trigger face make sure you try one before you buy the jewel. I could never get used to the trigger face on the jewel and sold it.

ToddM - thanks. Are there any others that you would rate as highly as the Timney?

I put a shilen in my 700vssfII and i love it and have not had any problems with it. What i dont like about the jewel is the very narrow trigger it just dont feel right to me.