• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Should I trade my DPMS SASS?

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I have been thinking about either selling or trading my DPMS LR308 SASS that has a lot of upgrades. My range only goes to 200 yards, and at 53 years old I am not having a strong desire to drive a long way to shoot long range.
I was thinking about possibly offering it for something like a SA M1A plus cash. I don't even know if there is much interest in it. It's really great for long range steel and is actually very accurate- I just don't do anything with it. It sure makes a pretty safe queen, but I think I might shoot the M1A more often. 200 yards with the SASS is pretty boring.
I have thought about a partial trade for a .308 bolt rifle, but I have had those too and didn't do much with them either. I guess long range shooting isn't really for me. Not for lack of skill, but more for lack of a strong enough desire.
The only other thing might be a high grade 1911, but I have a lot of those.

What do ya'll think? Is this something I would be an idiot to do? I originally though I might use it for pig hunting, but I don't see myself doing that much either and if I do I have an AR15.

Jim

Re: Should I trade my DPMS SASS?

You are talking about trading one semi-automatic 308 for another on the basis that the one you have now is boring. That really doesn't make much sense. If you have a limited range and don't care to drive for a longer one then I'd suggest finding something more appropriate for the style of shooting you enjoy more and wish to participate in. Remember a firearm is a tool nothing more. So I would suggest this. Sell what you have now, then thing about what type to shooting you enjoy. Then pick a firearm that is suited for that goal.

I shoot Garand matches. An M1A with iron sights would be about the same, and that style of shooting is what I do most often.
The SASS is a little too heavy to shoot offhand.

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My range only goes to 200 yards.
Jim </div></div>

Get a good .22lr at 200 yards it can be a lot of fun and it's cheaper to shoot as well.

So your bored? Solution = (your rifle)-(whatever optic you have)+(iron sights) if that's easy then (current target size)*0.75 create a problem that's cheaper than getting a new rifle or finding a new range

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bd1023</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a good .22lr at 200 yards it can be a lot of fun and it's cheaper to shoot as well.</div></div> My thoughts as well.

Unless you're in need of the money to finance getting into something different, I wouldn't sell the SASS, you just never know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have been thinking about either selling or trading my DPMS LR308 SASS that has a lot of upgrades. My range only goes to 200 yards, and at 53 years old I am not having a strong desire to drive a long way to shoot long range.
I was thinking about possibly offering it for something like a SA M1A plus cash. I don't even know if there is much interest in it. It's really great for long range steel and is actually very accurate- I just don't do anything with it. It sure makes a pretty safe queen, but I think I might shoot the M1A more often. 200 yards with the SASS is pretty boring.
I have thought about a partial trade for a .308 bolt rifle, but I have had those too and didn't do much with them either. <span style="color: #990000">I guess long range shooting isn't really for me.</span> Not for lack of skill, but more for lack of a strong enough desire.
The only other thing might be a high grade 1911, but I have a lot of those.

What do ya'll think? Is this something I would be an idiot to do? I originally though I might use it for pig hunting, but I don't see myself doing that much either and if I do I have an AR15.

Jim </div></div>
Sell the rifle and buy a horse. LOL
A person either likes to shoot or not, honestly you might be better off persuing a different hobby. ??
SScott

I think you will miss the DPMS. I like the ease of adding optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bd1023</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a good .22lr at 200 yards it can be a lot of fun and it's cheaper to shoot as well.</div></div> My thoughts as well.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Unless you're in need of the money to finance getting into something different, I wouldn't sell the SASS, you just never know.</span></div></div>

This right here!

A horse? Really? I don't have time to drive an hour away to shoot over 200 yards, why would I have time to deal with a horse?

I will just keep the SASS. I will find time sometime. Until then I will shoot at 200 yards.
I shoot Garand and vintage rifle matches as well as falling plate pistol matches.

Jim