• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Should I upgrade my RCBS press?

186thFCo

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2017
Hello everyone, I’m getting into PRS comps and I’m changing calibers to 6GT. My question is would it be a good idea to upgrade my reloading press as well? Currently I have my old RCBS, RC IV single stage press. I’m looking at ordering the new SAC Nexus press. Assuming my case prep process doesn’t cause any inconsistencies would getting that SAC press improve the quality of my rounds.

I should note that my current press is not super consistent when it comes to bumping shoulder back. I try to get a .002” bump but I’ll get several that are +/-.001 and even a few that will bump .004”. Not sure if that variation will affect accuracy but like a lot of you I’m a bit OCD with case prep.

Thanks in advance

Hello everyone, I’m getting into PRS comps and I’m changing calibers to 6GT. My question is would it be a good idea to upgrade my reloading press as well? Currently I have my old RCBS, RC IV single stage press. I’m looking at ordering the new SAC Nexus press. Assuming my case prep process doesn’t cause any inconsistencies would getting that SAC press improve the quality of my rounds.

I should note that my current press is not super consistent when it comes to bumping shoulder back. I try to get a .002” bump but I’ll get several that are +/-.001 and even a few that will bump .004”. Not sure if that variation will affect accuracy but like a lot of you I’m a bit OCD with case prep.

Thanks in advance
The press you have is a good one but if it has a lot of flex in the linkages that will result in inconsistent shoulder bump as you are experiencing, assuming your other loading steps are consistent. For example, consistent lube on case. A new press is nice and the Nexus should give you much better consistency in shoulder bump. However, experienced shooters work around this issue with a hard contact between SH and die or solid “cam over“ and the use of the comp shell holders that allow this hard contact in graduated steps of bump.

Do you need this level of precision for PRS? Maybe not, but that’s up to you. If you are OCD with case prep as you say, it may be worth it to step up to a premium press.

Last edited:
Reactions: simonp

Thanks in advance
Save yourself some $$$ and get a Forster Co-Ax. :giggle: You won't be disappointed.

IMHO if ya only have one press you things to learn.I do believe there is a need to have a good accurately made press for sizing .then move over to an arbor to use LE Wilson dies to seat bullets .

If you arent using alpha or lapua brass, then - definitely not.

If you are, then - probably not.

Upgrading that press won’t change that headspacing that much or really improve your reloads unless you’re at a super low sd (under 7-8 avg) and looking to go lower.

If you are using hornady or some other mediocre brass you can’t spend enough money to get past that.

• Haha
Reactions: LR1845