• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Should I Upgrade?

M Spangler

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2011
MA
Hi guys and gals. Long time lurker here.

I’m fighting myself over “upgrading” from my Leupold VXIII 3.5-10x40 LR/T illuminated mil dot reticle with M1 turrets. Seems like these scopes have a good reputation and from what I see for sale they hold their value well. The more I read the more I’m wondering if it’s not much of an upgrade.

I find myself wanting more magnification and an updated reticle. Looking at a Vortex Viper PST gen II 5-25x50.

I feel like the magnification would be a benefit for shooting groups (300 yards at my local range) but the updated reticle and matching turrets would be a bigger benefit.

Rifle is a 700 SPS in .308. Bell and Carlson Medalist stock.

So talk me off the ledge or push me off the ledge.
Thanks in advance

the pst gen2 is an old outdated optic. there are much better options now

is this just a rifle/scope for paper shooting out to 300y? i see you're in MA...there are a lot of options for shooting much further than 300y

the pst gen2 is an old outdated optic. there are much better options now

is this just a rifle/scope for paper shooting out to 300y? i see you're in MA...there are a lot of options for shooting much further than 300y
Yeah it’s just for paper shooting. I don’t compete.
I know I could go bigger and better but I’m not looking to break the bank either.

Seems like the Viper is a good value and there are some serious deals on them right now. What makes it outdated?

If I could sell off the Leupold and fund the Viper I would be thrilled.

I used to shoot at a 500 yard range on the other side of town but the RO is tool and their hours sucked. Not to mention closing down for almost the whole pandemic.

there are deals because they're like 8 years old at this point and even the strike eagle is a better option imho

i'd honestly probably take one of the Arken over a PST gen2

Great info thanks guys.

Realistically I would like to be able to sell off the Leupold and pay for the new scope. Is that possible? No clue. I see price ranges all around but some of the Leupolds sold over $1k

Which model Arken is the winner?

is that leupold even a $400 scope anyore?

paying $100 more for a PST than a strike eagle blows my mind

No clue.

You’re saying the strike eagle is a better value that the PST even at that $659 deal?

That’s the deal that has me looking at it. Can I get as much or more scope for the $$ with a modern option?
Don't know, some would say there are better options at that price point (i.e., see below). I also bought a Burris RT 25 (500 bucks on clearance at Cabellas... clearance.. seeing a theme here?) which will likely go back. The PST comes Monday and I can report back. I have been very happy with the Burris XTR II on my precision rifle which led me back to them. The XTR III is out, and the II is good, though is probably also considered "older"

I have really loved the pst gen2 1-6 on my AR which may have biased me to some extent.

PS, I am seeing the Strike Eagle at +$100ish over the PST unless I am looking in the wrong places. You can get it for -$75 if you have a govx account.

PS, I am seeing the Strike Eagle at +$100ish over the PST unless I am looking in the wrong places. You can get it for -$75 if you have a govx account.
strike eagle 5-25 $589 shipped with no tax and not from dipshit larry

• Haha
Reactions: QPM
I just ordered the PST Gen II 5-25x50 for 659 on clearance. While there are other very competitive options (better options) this is quite a deal. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018395072?pid=434425
That deals been going on for like 5 years though. It’s the standard price. I’d rather take a Midas tac from cameralandny over a pst. The arken ep5 wouldn’t be a better scope than the pst but it would be equivalent and cheaper.

Reactions: QPM and b6graham
I'm still a fan of the PST Gen 2, the features on the Strike Eagle are better than the PST but the PST glass is definitely better.
I liked the Strike Eagle I had but a long shooting session would give me quite bad eye strain, enough that I sold it and bought another 5-25 PST.
If this is just going to be a range rifle I'd rather the nicer glass, locking turrets and additional elevation isn't going to help in the OPs use case.

I've not seen an Arken or Bushnell Match Pro but I've seen most other options in the PST Gen 2 price range and never seen anything that made me want to upgrade (in the less than $900 price range).
If you had the money to upgrade to the Burris XTR3 then that would definitely be the way to go.

All of these options will be better than your current Leupold, so regardless of what you choose you'll be well ahead.

Last edited:
Reactions: M Spangler
If you can get $1,000 for your Leupold, I would go straight to a Burris XTR3i as they're a very solid scope. Wild card option: SWFA still has their 5-20x50 HD scope on sale for $699.00. The reticle in that one is a bit dated, but it's more than adequate for shooting paper.

Reactions: drewthebrave
If you can get $1,000 for your Leupold, I would go straight to a Burris XTR3i as they're a very solid scope. Wild card option: SWFA still has their 5-20x50 HD scope on sale for $699.00. The reticle in that one is a bit dated, but it's more than adequate for shooting paper.
I have no clue what I could get for it. I’ve seen basically the same scopes sell over 1k but there was a slight difference in the turrets. 1/2 MOA clicks or something.