• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Should LE live in the areas they police?

pawprint

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2009
Should LE live in the towns/counties/states that they police? In Memphis there is a big push to have the MPD live in Memphis. I guess a lot of MPD live outside of Memphis/Shelby Co., in fact many don't live in Tennessee, some live in Mississippi. I have always thought that if the cops lived in the same towns that they work, there would be more harmony. My argument is, with cops taking patrol cars home, where ever a patrol car is sitting, even if no cop is in it, tends to reduce crime in that small area. We the tax payers are paying for that car and its operating costs, if it is leaving our town at night, we aren't getting our full tax dollars worth. Any other thoughts on it?

Re: Should LE live in the areas they police?

OKCPD makes the officers live inside the city limits if they want a take home car. I agree with the concept.

What is it with you and your obsession on these LE threads?!?!
crazy.gif

From my experience...most depts have some form of residency restriction (within the jurisdiction) or "wingspan" restriction (which says mileage-wise or time-wise how far you can live outside the area - i.e. - you must reside within xx-miles or xx-minutes). Like most things in life...it varies depending on location/dept policy/etc. If you have a take-home...again in my experience...doesn't leave the jurisdiction without specific authorization.

Yes, they should live in the area they police, for a wide variety of reasons.

We don't have those residency restrictions here. With or without a take home car.
wink.gif

there is no way I would ever live in Washington D.C. it's bad enough I have to work here.
grin.gif

As is common in your threads, you and your infinite wisdom haven't thought about all the areas a cop couldn't afford to live
wink.gif

Paw, not many departments across country have take home cars, especially in big cities.

Living where you work. Hardly new concept except in many areas cops dont make enough to live there.

Out here you have cops commmuting one plus hourse each way to work so they can found housing they can afford.

Here is a thought how about coming up with a non le thread. After all this is a shooting site.

You have made it abundentaly clear you dont like cops. We get it.

Tactical said:
Paw, not many departments across country have take home cars, especially in big cities.

Living where you work. Hardly new concept except in many areas cops dont make enough to live there.

Out here you have cops commmuting one plus hourse each way to work so they can found housing they can afford.

Here is a thought how about coming up with a non le thread. After all this is a shooting site.

You have made it abundentaly clear you dont like cops. We get it. [/quote

Mike you forgot to add, "Yeah we get it" and don't give a crap!!!

If I want a take home car I should live in the city. Otherwise I'll live where I want thank you. Youre paying for the 40 hrs a week I'm in uniform working there. What I do with the rest of my time isnt your or my department's business.

If they want to force me to live somewhere, then they can pay the rent too....unless a take home car is involved, then they could dictate. We have take home cars but you must live within 4 miles of the jurisdiction to participate.

I agree with most of the above comments. If you want to take the car home live there, if not, I don't care where you live or for what reason. Just like every other profession, you should be allowed to switch off from work. If I couldn't leave my work at work I would burn out. So would cops. My next door neighbor is a cop. He drives the car home, granted we life right behind the station, but he still gets to not be at work and focus on his family. If a problem occurs in our neighborhood he is the first one there, and he is prepared respond to any issue.

Is it a good thing, yes. MAKE them? Fuck no....

If I worked for Vestavia Hills PD I'd make roughly in the low $40,000's starting pay. You won't find a crack house in Vestavia for less than $200k, so you're pretty much forcing me to rent or live in a condo.

If I worked at Birmingham PD it's a little different as there is affordable housing there, but the city is a fiscal wreck, and a shithole to boot. The only parts that are not a shithole are usually to spendy or undesirable. So dept policy would be placing fist in ass...

What if I lived on a nice chunk of family land?

I used to work at Gulf Shores Fire Dept where if I wanted to live in the city, I'd have to pay $3000+/ yr since it was so close to the gulf.

I think that it's a lot more dynamic situation than people with residency restrictions realize when they knee jerk make these rules.

I truely feel for any officer having to work or live in the City of Bham.

JRose, which station do you hail from????

I personally like to leave work at work. If they gave me a marked car I'd leave it at the PD. I can't afford to live where I work. Now, if they want to subsidize my living expenses, fine. Until then, what I do when I leave work and where I chose to live if nobodys business but mine. Paw, you want to pick apart everything cops do, now you want to dictate where we live? If a cop said something like this in a post we would be accused of being jack booted thug Nazi's that wanted to control your lives.
Patrick

As important Scocial Issue as this is, what I really want to know is where some of these guys buy ther Tin Foil in Bulk?

a big resounding NO.

You want to run into some shithead that your arrested last week in the grocery store with your wife and two kids?

The Department I work for recommends you don't live where you police. You can live in the same city, but It's recommended you don't work in the precinct you live in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 18Echo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a big resounding NO.

You want to run into some shithead that your arrested last week in the grocery store with your wife and two kids?

The Department I work for recommends you don't live where you police. You can live in the same city, but It's recommended you don't work in the precinct you live in.</div></div>

This.

I have a take home and live 15 road miles from my PD. Love it.Minimal contact with the garbage I deal with.

Cops pay taxes too so your bullshit taxpayer angle is null and void.

Oh, and OP, you're a tool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paw print</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should LE live in the towns/counties/states that they police? In Memphis there is a big push to have the MPD live in Memphis. I guess a lot of MPD live outside of Memphis/Shelby Co., in fact many don't live in Tennessee, some live in Mississippi. I have always thought that if the cops lived in the same towns that they work, there would be more harmony. My argument is, with cops taking patrol cars home, where ever a patrol car is sitting, even if no cop is in it, tends to reduce crime in that small area. We the tax payers are paying for that car and its operating costs, if it is leaving our town at night, we aren't getting our full tax dollars worth. Any other thoughts on it? </div></div>

It is funny that you said this about Memphis. I am an officer with MPD. I live inside of the county however not in the city limits. In Memphis we, for the most part, do not get to take the cars home. Those of us who do have take home cars they are not marked for the most part. The only exception that I know of is the officer of the month car which is only 9 for the whole city. Other wish it's the higher ups whose cars are unmarked. The others are units like ocu which also are unmarked cars. With areas who do have take home cars I would agree the officers should live with in the area of their jurisdiction. The other side to that is as an officer I see it as a safety issue for me and my family if I live in the area I patrol. All it would take is one person to recognize me and follow me home and it could be a really bad day for all parties involved.

Hard working officers should not have to live in the same town they work in. It is an officer safety issue. If you are not proactive and are working just to collect a pay check then it doesn't matter. Most LE agencies do not allow patrol officers to take the patrol car home anyway. In my opinion that is also an officer safety issue. Most officers do not want everyone to know where they live. Especially if they have a family.

It's not about take-home cars, it's about being able to call people in on short notice for mandatory overtime.

Is it legal? Probably if they specify a maximum distance from the department, then Yes, provided you didn't hire-in under a contract that said they couldn't do it, so new hirees are probably screwed.

That said, no one subject to it is going to like it. And sometimes 'leash laws' just can't work: Talk to any new class of field agents sent to New York, LA, or Miami.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 18Echo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a big resounding NO.

The Department I work for recommends you don't live where you police. You can live in the same city, but It's recommended you don't work in the precinct you live in.</div></div>

+1
That and can you imagine having to respond to your next door neigbor for a domestic that ends up in an arrest on either party.