• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shoulder bump ?

plh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
I'm set up to begin reloading once-fired, deprimed, cleaned, primer pocket-uniformed, Hornady brass for my FN A2 308 using a Forster FL Die. I obtained a Sinclair Bump Gauge insert and holder getting a 1.657" shoulder measurement from the fired but unsized cases. My understanding is I want to aim for .001" reduction in length after FL resizing. With the die set at neutral, i.e. shellholder touching the die at full up position, I am getting a measurement of 1.653" - 1.654" and at 'cam-over' (1/4 turn past neutral) 1.650". I have sequentially backed the die out ( even to the point where the decapping pin no longer punches the primer ) and never see more than 1.654-1.655. What am I missing here other than a custom FL die? Maybe I should settle for a .003" shoulder bump and call it a day.
Thanks in advance, Pete

Re: Shoulder bump ?

Answer provided by a truly choice fellow, 427Cobra. He made a mercy call to my home tonite with his Hornady headspace gauge which revealed that instead of a decrease of .003" - .004" as measured on the Sinclair, the headspace was actually INCREASING .003" measured with the Hornady. The die is set and all is well; phone call to Sinclair to come.