• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Shoulder bumped too far on a couple of cases.

riley007

Private
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2007
OK
I have a new 6.5x47L that I'm loading for. I started with 100 new lapua cases and have fired one time. I just resized and loaded 50 for the second loading. I'm using a Whidden full length bushing die. When setting up the die, I adjusted for .002 bump on the shoulder. After getting it set up I resized the 50 cases. I only measured the bump of the first few cases and then proceeded to resize the rest. I was using the bump gauge that came with the dies. I just bought the hornady headspace comparator set and decided to check all 50. I found 2 that had excessive bump. one was bumped .014 too far and the second was .020 too far. I have no idea how this could have happened. I don't really want to check every round that I load in the future, but I don't want to risk firing one of these either. Anybody have any suggestions on what may have happened? Rich

Imperial die wax. Could too much of it cause this? the shoulders are smooth and don't have any dents. I have used too much lube in the past on another caliber and had dents in the shoulder. I didn't think I was using too much this time. just rubbing my finger on the lube and then rubbing on very thin.

I'm just touching the lands with the Berger 130 vld. Would it be safe to go ahead and fire these 2 rounds to blow the shoulders back out? or would I need to seat farther into the lands?

You will be fine fire away. This is common practice for fire forming various wild cat rounds. Do not oversize the cases repeatedly or you will end up with case head separations.

Couldn’t have been the wax this why I use hornady one shot even though most will disagree. Like stated above shoot them and resize you will figure out the problem could have just been the soft brass sizing differently.

7/8-14 die threads? If yes, 1 full revolution is 0.0714" so to be off 0.020 means die was off nearly 1/3 turn?
What press? Most times you can't get more than 5-6 thousands undersized with a FL sizer die as die hits the shell holder, limiting how far shoulder is pushed back.
Almost no way you can actually get a case sized 0.014 or 0.020" too much, almost seems like a measurement error.

One time event, 0.014 and 0.020 won't cause a catastrophic failure but definitely not something you'd want to do to case repeatedly.

I had a 6.5x47 on a Savage action. I bumped the shoulders back so far that the firing pin would push the case into the chamber and not ignite the primers, so yes, it is possible. This was early on when I started reloading. It took me a while to figure it out.

I would say half the rounds fired, the other half would have primers that were light strikes.

Redding comp shellholders? I'm with one poster, most presses with a standard shell holder will not bump more than 4 or 5 thou and that's with stiff cam over. I have saw a Redding 6.5x47 die set that didnt bump shoulders at all on a hard cam over. It was a savage that screwed together for a buddy. Bolt closes on go gage+.002 shim, but not on a no go. Redding dies would not bump shoulders at all. I had him surface grind 5 or 6 thou off the top of shell holder, that took care of his problem.