• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shouldered prefit barrels

jcmullis2

Don’t run you’ll only die tired
Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 12, 2020
    USA
    Have any of you guys used a prefit shouldered barrel on a defiance tenacity action? Where did you get it from and was there any problems with it.

Have any of you guys used a prefit shouldered barrel on a defiance tenacity action? Where did you get it from and was there any problems with it.
    I got one on order from straight jacket armory. But pva also has them. Im still waiting for mine to show up so cant speak on anything

Reactions: jcmullis2
    I got one on order from straight jacket armory. But pva also has them. Im still waiting for mine to show up so cant speak on anything
    I ordered one from pva a couple of weeks ago and I got a email yesterday saying it’s on the way. When I called them they were going to start cutting a bunch that day. I went with the cut rifling and it cost about $650. They were out of the button rifled barrel blanks in the caliber I wanted or it would have been a couple of hundred bucks cheaper. I didn’t see any other place offering prefits for the tenacity so it’s good to know about straight jacket armory. I guess we’ll both be finding out how good or bad they are. Maybe we can post something here for others once we see how they do. The tenacity is a sweet action and the price makes it better. I can’t wait to put it on. I don’t know what the torque is supposed to be or how I’d measure it if I did. What are your thoughts on the torque?

I ordered one from pva a couple of weeks ago and I got a email yesterday saying it’s on the way. When I called them they were going to start cutting a bunch that day. I went with the cut rifling and it cost about $650. They were out of the button rifled barrel blanks in the caliber I wanted or it would have been a couple of hundred bucks cheaper. I didn’t see any other place offering prefits for the tenacity so it’s good to know about straight jacket armory. I guess we’ll both be finding out how good or bad they are. Maybe we can post something here for others once we see how they do. The tenacity is a sweet action and the price makes it better. I can’t wait to put it on. I don’t know what the torque is supposed to be or how I’d measure it if I did. What are your thoughts on the torque?
    Im sure they will have something with barrel. Everyone seems to torque different from 60 to 100 seems to be good for shoulder. I have a torque wrench so i will set it at whatever they recommend but i really dont see going over 80 85 really but im not smith

@jcmullis2 I just pulled the trigger on a PVA barrel. What caliber are you shooting?

For shoulder prefits I found it to be hit or miss by action per company. I just went down the list of straight jacket armory, PVA, Keystone accuracy, Altus shooting solutions, Bugholes, etc that came up I’m a search.

@jcmullis2 I just pulled the trigger on a PVA barrel. What caliber are you shooting?

For shoulder prefits I found it to be hit or miss by action per company. I just went down the list of straight jacket armory, PVA, Keystone accuracy, Altus shooting solutions, Bugholes, etc that came up I’m a search.
    What problems did you see? And what action

The caliber I’m shooting is .264.
    What actions and companies had what problems? The only problems that I can imagine would be with headspace or barrel quality. Where the barrel fouls easy or has shitty accuracy.
    I just checked again and the only companies that have prefit shouldered barrels for the defiance tenacity listed online are pva and straight jacket armory. The others you mentioned have various remage and Savage barrels. The ones with shouldered prefit barrels aren’t what I consider prefits because they require having the action one time. There was some for the t3 bighorn actions. Maybe others will make shouldered prefits for the tenacity if it gains popularity or they haven’t listed them online yet. With the specs being what they are any smith should be able to cut a barrel but maybe not.
    I’ll have to guesstimate the torque. I’ve got a wheeler action wrench that goes around the outside of the action and barrel vise. I thought putting a bar inside the action and applying a bunch of torque might hurt the action.
    Hopefully we get some good results. However if it’s not sub 1/2 moa I’ll abandon all hope for prefits and go back to sending the action to the smith.

I didn’t mean problems as in issues with the smith or the action. The problem that I was referencing was depending on what action you have that determines the availability of shoulder prefits that can be ordered online.

The caliber I’m shooting is .264.
    What actions and companies had what problems? The only problems that I can imagine would be with headspace or barrel quality. Where the barrel fouls easy or has shitty accuracy.
    I just checked again and the only companies that have prefit shouldered barrels for the defiance tenacity listed online are pva and straight jacket armory. The others you mentioned have various remage and Savage barrels. The ones with shouldered prefit barrels aren’t what I consider prefits because they require having the action one time. There was some for the t3 bighorn actions. Maybe others will make shouldered prefits for the tenacity if it gains popularity or they haven’t listed them online yet. With the specs being what they are any smith should be able to cut a barrel but maybe not.
    I’ll have to guesstimate the torque. I’ve got a wheeler action wrench that goes around the outside of the action and barrel vise. I thought putting a bar inside the action and applying a bunch of torque might hurt the action.
    Hopefully we get some good results. However if it’s not sub 1/2 moa I’ll abandon all hope for prefits and go back to sending the action to the smith.
    The only problem I could see would be headspace but I think with the technology I think we're pretty good. You can buy it inside action wrench from Defiance bugholes couple other places that slides into the action instead of your bolt then you can put a torque wrench on the back of it with a socket head that's what I use. What Barrel Vise are you using? I do have a Remington with a barrel nut and a Criterion Barrel and it shoots lights out I don't worry too much about the prefix if they're going to file or not shoot anymore all these barrels are pretty high quality I've had anything from a Wilson to a Criterion bartlein Krieger and they've all shot amazing honestly that long-distance the Criterion is winning so far

The only problem I could see would be headspace but I think with the technology I think we're pretty good. You can buy it inside action wrench from Defiance bugholes couple other places that slides into the action instead of your bolt then you can put a torque wrench on the back of it with a socket head that's what I use. What Barrel Vise are you using? I do have a Remington with a barrel nut and a Criterion Barrel and it shoots lights out I don't worry too much about the prefix if they're going to file or not shoot anymore all these barrels are pretty high quality I've had anything from a Wilson to a Criterion bartlein Krieger and they've all shot amazing honestly that long-distance the Criterion is winning so far
    You aren’t concerned about the action wrench messing up the raceways or lugs in your action? Maybe I don’t understand what the wrench is applying pressure to.

You aren’t concerned about the action wrench messing up the raceways or lugs in your action? Maybe I don’t understand what the wrench is applying pressure to.
    No they are made specific to the certain actions and it slides in and locks in the action just like your liked your bolt would you just have to make sure you put it in all the way but I don't want to put over a hundred foot pounds of pressure

Reactions: EN2722
    It doesn't put pressure on the Raceway or anything like that just wear your lugs lock into the action

I’ve used both rear entry action wrench and the wheeler wrap around your action like a strap wrench and I’ll say they both serve a purpose.

The rear entry action wrench is nice to use on custom actions or factory actions that have been separated from the stock barrel. Slide in until it stops, attach Ft Lbs torque driver set at the correct poundage, apply pressure wait for a click, you’re done!

The wrap around Wheeler action wrench I use to separate factory actions from their stock barrels. Not that the other version wouldn’t work, it’s not recommended due to the amount of effort required to separate. It’s also very helpful if you have an action without a pinned recoil lug. As they have an attachment that keeps your recoil lug square to the action.

I’ve heard horror stories of both actions doing significant damage, however, remember one thing, it started it a user...

I’ve used both rear entry action wrench and the wheeler wrap around your action like a strap wrench and I’ll say they both serve a purpose.

The rear entry action wrench is nice to use on custom actions or factory actions that have been separated from the stock barrel. Slide in until it stops, attach Ft Lbs torque driver set at the correct poundage, apply pressure wait for a click, you’re done!

The wrap around Wheeler action wrench I use to separate factory actions from their stock barrels. Not that the other version wouldn’t work, it’s not recommended due to the amount of effort required to separate. It’s also very helpful if you have an action without a pinned recoil lug. As they have an attachment that keeps your recoil lug square to the action.

I’ve heard horror stories of both actions doing significant damage, however, remember one thing, it started it a user...
    Yes i have the nss action wrench on the way for the rem 700 remage barrels

I just looked at the one from defiance at Brownells and I’m gonna give it a try because 50-60ft/LBs shouldn’t hurt anything and I don’t wanna over torque and have problems removing it later on. I’ve got the old barrel vice with oak blocks for factory barrel removal. I use my bench vise with aluminum inserts for putting on remage barrels. If there’s a better way let me know. Thank everyone for bringing me into this millennium.

I just looked at the one from defiance at Brownells and I’m gonna give it a try because 50-60ft/LBs shouldn’t hurt anything and I don’t wanna over torque and have problems removing it later on. I’ve got the old barrel vice with oak blocks for factory barrel removal. I use my bench vise with aluminum inserts for putting on remage barrels. If there’s a better way let me know. Thank everyone for bringing me into this millennium.
    I have a bench vise but need barrel vise

Bugholes is cheaper

I use the oak blocks with pine resin. For anything that I get a slip on I use anti slip 80 grit sandpaper with the course side facing the oak block with pine resin on the anti slip part and normally do not have a problem

I use the oak blocks with pine resin. For anything that I get a slip on I use anti slip 80 grit sandpaper with the course side facing the oak block with pine resin on the anti slip part and normally do not have a problem
    I wad looking at viper or ken farrell

For my remage the NSS Action Ranch I can just put in my Vise screw the barrel into the action so that works but for my shoulder prefit I got to have a barrel vise and I can't decide lol

I might look into that one too. I heard people saying the wood doesn't hold or it breaks

Did you ever get your Barrel

Did you ever get your Barrel
    Yes sir I did. I picked up a rear entry action wrench also. I was gonna put it on but I had a idea to do a comparison before putting the shouldered barrel on. I ordered a new Remington stainless action and I’m gonna see what the difference is in accuracy and stuff. I got the r700 a couple of days ago and lapped the lugs and changed out the exlax pro trigger with a 8-20oz riflebasix trigger yesterday. I have a TriggerTech diamond on the tenacity but I’ll get pull as close as possible. I picked up a criterion remage barrel from NSS also. I’m gonna put it on the Tenacity and see how it does, and then swap it over to Remington and see what the difference is, if any. I wanted to take this opportunity now because once I put the PVA shouldered prefit on it won’t be coming off unless there’s a problem. Ive often wondered just how much better a custom action will perform over a factory action. I should use the same trigger but it’ll be close enough with the trigger pull being the same. If time and weather permits I’ll get the answer to my question in the next few days.

Are rear action wrenches specific to the action?

Certainly, long action versus short action is different but can a rear entry wrench from Impact be used on an Origin for example?

Thanks in advance.

Certainly, long action versus short action is different but can a rear entry wrench from Impact be used on an Origin for example?

Thanks in advance.
    I wouldn’t think all are but some are. The one I got lists Remington, panda, pierce, savage, impact 737R but not defiance. I asked the seller and he said it was fine for defiance also. I bought it for $65 on eBay from a guy in St. John’s Florida. He’s got more and they work on long or short and left and right hand actions. He says you can even safely remove factory barrels so I figured why not its only $65.

Thanks in advance.
    On an origin action wrench there is a cut for the mechanical ejector.

Yes sir I did. I picked up a rear entry action wrench also. I was gonna put it on but I had a idea to do a comparison before putting the shouldered barrel on. I ordered a new Remington stainless action and I’m gonna see what the difference is in accuracy and stuff. I got the r700 a couple of days ago and lapped the lugs and changed out the exlax pro trigger with a 8-20oz riflebasix trigger yesterday. I have a TriggerTech diamond on the tenacity but I’ll get pull as close as possible. I picked up a criterion remage barrel from NSS also. I’m gonna put it on the Tenacity and see how it does, and then swap it over to Remington and see what the difference is, if any. I wanted to take this opportunity now because once I put the PVA shouldered prefit on it won’t be coming off unless there’s a problem. Ive often wondered just how much better a custom action will perform over a factory action. I should use the same trigger but it’ll be close enough with the trigger pull being the same. If time and weather permits I’ll get the answer to my question in the next few days.
    I have a criterion barrel i bought used off here for $250 a rem 700 that has a bigger bolt knob ect and my smith not sure what he did to it sometimes he just does stuff without saying but he never opened the treads or lapped the lugs from my understanding. Its in a mdt chassis trigger tech trigger no bedding nothing i just threw it in and shot. My tenacity has a krg gen 6 whiskey chassis no bedding either a 2 stage tuber trigger and had a shoulder cut rifle Bartlein that shot lights out. We shoot out to 1900 yards and currently my rem 700 remage has out shot my tenacity my dad rem 700 with shoulder bartlein and my buddies arc nuke custom actions with shoulder kreiger barrel. I honestly cant tell a difference in my world i dont shoot comps or prs but we shoot long range at small gongs or rocks

So just seen there is going to be no more shoulder prefits for the defiance tenacity. Two places have taken them off any one else hear anything?

Really a few places took them down and said no more. Bugholes told me no in summer time for shoulder prefit only with bug nut
    Not sure why. They did mine for Black Friday. I would call them and ask again. Mine was a Bartlien 6.5 shouldered pre-fit for the Defiance Tenacity, and was delivered to me December 5th.

Really? Dang it i called 2 places and no more and they told me no during summer. But thank you for the heads up i will look more in to.

Really a few places took them down and said no more. Bugholes told me no in summer time for shoulder prefit only with bug nut
    pretty sure it depends on which tenacity you have regarding prefits which might be why

who told you no?

assuming you specified exactly that it was the new tenacity when you called
    Bugholes said no in summer time. Pva said no more and also straight jacket said they no longer offer prefits have to send action in

Yep i have a barrel ordered threw them trying to see what my options are. But yeah defiance changed it

Straight jacket is now making them again went threw defiance to get print and worked with them. So we will see what happens

I have a couple of brand new PVA Tenacity or Ruckus prefits in 6.5 creedmoor. A 26” cut rifled and a 22” button rifled. Both are threaded for muzzle attachments with thread protectors. Let me know if y’all are interested.

I have a couple of brand new PVA Tenacity or Ruckus prefits in 6.5 creedmoor. A 26” cut rifled and a 22” button rifled. Both are threaded for muzzle attachments with thread protectors. Let me know if y’all are interested.
    Did your shoulder barrels head space right? Not sure why they took them off if they headspace right

I made the change about 2 weeks ago after some heads up from 2 other trusted sources who notified me of issues.

I have not had any issues however until things were cleared up and a good print was confirmed from Defiance I opted to tell customers to send in the action for the first barrel job. We measure it, laser engrave a tag with the measurements and send it back with the barrel for no additional charge. After that I dont need the action again as long as the engraved tag isn't lost by the owner.

We did it as a proactive safety measure based on the findings of 2 other gunsmiths whose experience and opinions I trust.

It may turn out to be just a false alarm but until I know that 110% we are changing policy.

Of someone has existing barrels on their rifles and no problems then there is no issue to worry about.