• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Show me a primer crimp please

themirage

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2009
Iowa
I've been loading .223 and recently .308 and when putting in a primer I can tell when a pocket is crimped so I just swage it and all is well.

But looking at it without the primer I can't tell if something is crimped or not. Where is the crimp? Low in the pocket, high in the pocket, is it a small ring, is it just 2 indentions?

Can someone show me a picture of a crimped primer pocket vs an uncrimped one so I can understand.

Re: Show me a primer crimp please

Google.com is an amazing tool

Click here.... LINK

Or...left one, not crimped, middle one ring crimp, right one some other style.

milcrimp4.jpg

1376_crimped_primer_clipart.jpg

Easy to tell by the ring.

Edit: damn you jasonk

It's a pretty safe bet that military brass is crimped. All the 223,308,30-06,and 50bmg, that I have has had crimped primers. I use a Hornady crimp remover. When i have a large amount of brass to prep I chuck the head in a cordless drill and go to town. It also puts a nice chamfer on the primer pockets. I use to use the RCBS swaging tool, but it took too long for me. Midway has them in both lg and sm sizes, buy both sizes and be done with it.

I have a lot of 30-06 HXP brass that has stab crimps. I just Full Length resize, then ream primmer pocket and reseat new primmers with no problem. LC on the other hand can be a bitch, I have missed some with ring crimps and crushed a few primmers.

The dillon super swage works great. Also, Oldreliable, the LC 9mm also has a crimp...again super swage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beer Alchemist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The dillon super swage works great. Also, Oldreliable, the LC 9mm also has a crimp...again super swage. </div></div>

After trying 10 different ways, and they trying the Dillion, there is no going back. This is by FAR the best tool out there to process high volumes of brass.

The Greek HXP are staked in and very easy to remove. If you find KA (Korean ammo) you have found the TOUGHEST damn crimp I have ever seen. KA brass is just fine but you earn it deprimming those suckers (have extra pins on hand). Even after swaging primer pockets I like to run a primer pocket uniformer into the pockets to make sure everything is ok (not really an issue with HXP but the KA can be a little tight).