• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shtf barrel

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    So I'm building out a SHTF/ home D/ plinking AR15.
    My new upper build is pretty much all set, except for a barrel. I was looking at criterion core barrels, but they are almost a 6 month wait. So I started looking at larue stealth or predator.

I have an aero upper with a BA government profile barrel, and I hate it. However the overall weight seems good. larue stealth is a little heavier but the weight is dispersed better in my opinion. Would the profile make manuraverability better than a gov profile?

Any suggestions on another brand of reasonably priced barrels? If I'm shooting prone or trying for groups I'd still like it to be MOA or better if possible. Looking for a 14.5 or 16 inch. Thanks

Patience. Criterion Core is what you seek. Your BA barrel will do fine until then. Core>Stealth for maneuverability. I can shoot my Core more accurately than my Stealth.

Patience. Criterion Core is what you seek. Your BA barrel will do fine until then. Core>Stealth for maneuverability. I can shoot my Core more accurately than my Stealth.
    I'm in NY. You see the laws they are trying to pass? I ain't got 6 months bud. 🤣 I have two criterions. One on a 6.5 grendel, and a 6mm creedmoor. Love them both. Just hate waiting.

I'm in NY. You see the laws they are trying to pass? I ain't got 6 months bud. 🤣 I have two criterions. One on a 6.5 grendel, and a 6mm creedmoor. Love them both. Just hate waiting.
    The Criterion 14.5 is a shorter wait than the 16”.

Other barrel options for a “SHTF” CONOPS include Daniel Defense and Centurion Arms. But they’re hard to source at the moment.

You can look into Black River Tactical. I have an older nitrided 14” barrel from them that puts out good groups with good ammo. However, their CHF/chrome lined barrels haven’t been out that long. I have a feeling they would be similar in performance to Centurion but I haven’t seen data to back that up yet. Bonus that they have a 16” and 13.9” in stock if you want something now.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dildobaggins
    i’ve had 2 criterion barrels, one in 556 and one in 762. neither shoot 1 MOA, more like 2 with IMI 77gr and the 556 barrel had a very tight chamber and would pop primers in anything 5.56 pressure. the 762 barrel was a joke with match grade 155 and 168. i think it popped primers with IMI 147gr ball too. been awhile since i had those.

BA aren’t bad, cheap and available but not lasers but good enough for me.

oddly, i have a 16” heavy flutted FN chromelined that shoots 1MOA with the IMI. i think it was a special run thru primary arms or psa.

I have an aero upper with a BA government profile barrel, and I hate it. However the overall weight seems good. larue stealth is a little heavier but the weight is dispersed better in my opinion. Would the profile make manuraverability better than a gov profile?
    A 16" larue stealth weighs more than a 16" Colt HBAR.

All weights listed below are stripped weights.

Colt 16" "pencil" barrel (6520): 1 pound, 6 ounces.

colt_6520_light_weight_profile_barrel_02-1338224.jpg

Hodge Defense 14.5" barrel: 1 pound, 8.5 ounces.

hodge_barrel_02_resized_b-1-1338226.jpg

Colt 14.5" M4 barrel: 1 pound, 9 ounces.

colt_m4_barrel_framed_001-2408667.jpg

Colt 11.5" "FBI" barrel: 1 pound, 9.3 ounces.

colt_fbi_commando_11_5_barrel_02-1338225.jpg

Centurion Arms 16” “light-weight” barrel: 1 pound, 10 ounces.

centurion16_inch_light_barrel_05-1338221.jpg

Larue 16" "ultralight-profile" PredatAR barrel: 1 pound, 10.5 ounces.

predatar_barrel_01b_resized-1338230.jpg

Colt 16" government profile barrel (6920): 1 pound, 12 ounces.

Colt_16_inch_M4_profile_barrel_6920_05-1338223.jpg

Noveske 16" N4 "light" barrel: 1 pound, 12 ounces.

noveske_n4_16_inch_barrel_2-1338229.jpg

Colt 14.5" SOCOM barrel: 1 pound, 14 ounces.

stripped_socom_barrel_02_resized-1338435.jpg

Noveske 16" Recon medium contour barrel: 2 pounds, 1.6 ounces.

noveske_rrecon_43-1338417.jpg

Colt 16" HBAR barrel (6721): 2 pounds, 3.4 ounces.

colt_16_inch_hbar_6721_02-1338222.jpg

Larue 16" Stealth barrel: 2 pounds, 5.7 ounces.

larue_16_inch_stealth_barrel_002-1338227.jpg

Last edited:

I Knew it was a bit heavier than I wanted, but I figured the way the weight was dispersed would make it better. That gov profile of the BA does nothing for me.

Not even a slight doubt or second thought.
    Real SHTF barrel ?
    Chrome lined CHF FN barrel.
    Nothing out there will live thru the amount of rounds you can put thru one.
    They will keep chugging when everything else has long since burned out.
    I've had ones that were wickedly accurate too.

This one...

All weights listed below are stripped weights.

Colt 16" HBAR barrel (6721): 2 pounds, 3.4 ounces.

colt_16_inch_hbar_6721_02-1338222.jpg

Larue 16" Stealth barrel: 2 pounds, 5.7 ounces.

larue_16_inch_stealth_barrel_002-1338227.jpg

Oof. I had heard the Larue Stealth was a hefty boy, but I didn’t realize it was that hefty.

I Knew it was a bit heavier than I wanted, but I figured the way the weight was dispersed would make it better. That gov profile of the BA does nothing for me.
    Look at BCM enhanced lightweight as well, in that case. It's tapered from back to front. The balance is uncanny: it feels like you're holding almost nothing up front. They heat up quick, though.

My new upper build is pretty much all set, except for a barrel. I was looking at criterion core barrels, but they are almost a 6 month wait. So I started looking at larue stealth or predator.

Any suggestions on another brand of reasonably priced barrels? If I'm shooting prone or trying for groups I'd still like it to be MOA or better if possible. Looking for a 14.5 or 16 inch. Thanks
    hate it, why?
    Rosco barrels are best kept secret in ARs

hate it, why?
    Rosco barrels are best kept secret in ARs
    When I first got it I tried probably 10 different types of ammo, and could not get a 3 shot group under sub moa. And the gov profile puts the weight in the front which I don't like at all. Before anyone says I can't shoot, I shot this 3 round group yesterday at 100 yards with handloads from a WOA barrel. Obviously, not looking for that type of accuracy out of this new build, but you'd think with premium ammo it would at least group better sub MOA. Never thought about returning the barrel because I dimpled the barrel for the gas block and figured they wouldn't take it back. I'll look into rosco barrels as well. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220603-125846.png
      Screenshot_20220603-125846.png
      1.5 MB · Views: 124
    When I first got it I tried probably 10 different types of ammo, and could not get a 3 shot group under sub moa. And the gov profile puts the weight in the front which I don't like at all. Before anyone says I can't shoot, I shot this 3 round group yesterday at 100 yards with handloads from a WOA barrel. Obviously, not looking for that type of accuracy out of this new build, but you'd think with premium ammo it would at least group better sub MOA. Never thought about returning the barrel because I dimpled the barrel for the gas block and figured they wouldn't take it back. I'll look into rosco barrels as well. Thanks!
    BA has accuracy guarantee, send it back and get another. Dimpling may be an issue like you say but worth a shot. All the BA barrels I've had held moa or better so I'm surprised. The profile is personal choice of course.

cheap accurate barrels, KAK and Rosco. you won't be disappointed imho

BA has accuracy guarantee, send it back and get another. All the BA barrels I've had held moa or better so I'm surprised. The profile is personal choice of course.

cheap accurate barrels, KAK and Rosco. you won't be disappointed imho
    Not to sound like a dip shit, but they will take it back if I've had it for over a year? If they do take it back maybe I'll sell the new one, and pick up a rosco. I see them for sale all the time, and a buddy of mine got one but hasn't shot it yet.

Not to sound like a dip shit, but they will take it back if I've had it for over a year? If they do take it back maybe I'll sell the new one, and pick up a rosco. I see them for sale all the time, and a buddy of mine got one but hasn't shot it yet.
    I don't know but cs is pretty decent so I'd give them a call and explain that you've had the barrel, have tried a ton of different brands etc and it won't print moa. Can't hurt to call

I bought my LaRue Stealth a few years ago for this purpose. I didn't look at the weight when ordered. Once recieved I immediately decided it was too hefty for what I wanted to do.

It's now a range and coyote rifle. Shoots very good, I ended up putting an adjustable block on it because it was way to gassy, borderline unreliable.

Reactions: reubenski
    I've got one of each, and man do they perform better than they have any right to.
    I believe the KAK barrels are green mtn but could be wrong. I've used 2 in 308 builds and 2 in 5.56 builds and all were moa

the Rosco is just a great barrel and not sure where they are sourced but both of the ones I had shoot lights out. very impressed with them

I believe the KAK barrels are green mtn but could be wrong. I've used 2 in 308 builds and 2 in 5.56 builds and all were moa

the Rosco is just a great barrel and not sure where they are sourced but both of the ones I had shoot lights out. very impressed with them
    KAK Value line are indeed Green Mountain blanks.

Rosco makes all their stuff in house. Great barrels for the $$. Have one in my 12.5 pistol and will be buying a 16 inch HBAR shortly.

Hop on reddit gun deals (subreddit), they usually have criterion barrels pop up (Bevansballistic). Also check the sale places of sites like this one or AR15.com. if the government wasn't planning on doing crazy shit I'd sell you one of my spares but not risking it at this juncture.

Reactions: BL4Ck_Out
    KAK Value line are indeed Green Mountain blanks.

Rosco makes all their stuff in house. Great barrels for the $$. Have one in my 12.5 pistol and will be buying a 16 inch HBAR shortly.
    Im grabbing another 12.5 to do a 'other'

Reactions: JS8588
    Look at BCM enhanced lightweight as well, in that case. It's tapered from back to front.

Bravo Company 14.5” ELW Accuracy: A Quick Look

ELW stands for enhanced light-weight. This barrel is from Bravo Company’s cold-hammer forged series of barrels. The barrel has a “continuous taper” design with a smooth shoulder at the gas block journal, which reportedly improves barrel harmonics. This barrel has a mid-length gas system and a 0.625” gas block journal.

According to Bravo Company, this barrel has a stripped weight of 1 pound, 5 ounces. For comparison, a Colt 14.5” M4 barrel has a stripped weight of 1 pound, 9 ounces.

BCM 14.5” ELW

bcm_elw_stock_phonto_01_resized-1298250.jpg

Colt 14.5” M4 barrel. (not stripped)

colt_m4_barrel_01_resized-1298030.jpg

I purchased this barrel as part of a BCM factory assembled upper receiver group with the MCMR 13” free-float hand guard. The barrel has BCM’s pinned and welded A2X flash hider.

Shooting off-the-bench at a distance of 100 yards (using a high magnification scope), this barrel produced a 10-shot group that has an extreme spread of 0.946” with a mean radius of 0.33”.

bcm_elw_10_shot_group_at_100_yards_01_re-1253570.jpg

bcm_14_5_elw_001_resized_08-1253427.jpg

….

i’ve had 2 criterion barrels, one in 556 and one in 762. neither shoot 1 MOA, more like 2 with IMI 77gr and the 556 barrel had a very tight chamber and would pop primers in anything 5.56 pressure. the 762 barrel was a joke with match grade 155 and 168. i think it popped primers with IMI 147gr ball too. been awhile since i had those.

BA aren’t bad, cheap and available but not lasers but good enough for me.

oddly, i have a 16” heavy flutted FN chromelined that shoots 1MOA with the IMI. i think it was a special run thru primary arms or psa.
    That sucks. I've searched alot of threads for criterions. The complaints seem few and far between. Did you ever talk to anyone at criterion, or get anything resolved?

Reactions: PappyM3
    That sucks. I've searched alot of threads for criterions. The complaints seem few and far between. Did you ever talk to anyone at criterion, or get anything resolved?
    i called. he didnt believe me and he didnt care.

arfcom had a thread on crit barrels and there where plenty of negatives but an equal amount of good ones.

i sold them with the understanding of what their issues where.

Last edited:
    My SHTF M4 has a Rainier Arms Select 14.5" barrel. It's lightweight, and ridiculously accurate with 55gr ammo. Haven't tried anything heavier, as I mostly shoot LC XM193 and Tula 55gr steel. Both shoot sub-MOA at 100 yards. Rainier builds a hell of a barrel. I also recommend buying your gas block from them, and having them drill/pin them for you before you build your upper. Or, just piecing your upper together through parts on their site, and then having them assemble and drill/pin GB and pin & weld the muzzle device of your choice. SHTF, you want absolute guarantees that nothing will come loose or fail.

My SHTF M4 has a Rainier Arms Select 14.5" barrel. It's lightweight, and ridiculously accurate with 55gr ammo. Haven't tried anything heavier, as I mostly shoot LC XM193 and Tula 55gr steel. Both shoot sub-MOA at 100 yards. Rainier builds a hell of a barrel. I also recommend buying your gas block from them, and having them drill/pin them for you before you build your upper. Or, just piecing your upper together through parts on their site, and then having them assemble and drill/pin GB and pin & weld the muzzle device of your choice. SHTF, you want absolute guarantees that nothing will come loose or fail.

Good to hear about the Select barrels. I just noticed they now sell a Select 16" RLGS barrel which is my favorite configuration, and the price is right.

Reactions: FuhQ

That seems like a smokin deal. I have read so much info on who they use for blanks, and never found a straight answer. Any idea what blanks they use?

Reactions: BurtG and FuhQ

arfcom had a thread on crit barrels and there where plenty of negatives but an equal amount of good ones.

That's too bad. Did you ask for an RMA or tell them you want an exchange? That doesn't seem like a great way to retain customers?

Good to hear about the Select barrels. I just noticed they now sell a Select 16" RLGS barrel which is my favorite configuration, and the price is right.
    I have several Rainier Arms barrels, and they are all VERY accurate. I even have one of their early first gen .300 BLK barrels that is a select series. It has a 8.5" twist (if that tells you how early it was 😂), and it shoots 220 subs around 1-2" at 100, and I regularly hit 5" steel challenge tree gongs at 200 yards with a 1-8x LPVO with a BDC reticle holdover. Subs are hard to maintain any sort of real precision accuracy with at distance, even though my COAL and charge weights are all extremely tight tolerances, they still fluctuate in large increments from shot-to-shot. Just the nature of the beast in the AR. Now, in a bolt-action .300 BLK they would probably be extremely accurate, but I haven't gotten one of those yet.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
    That seems like a smokin deal. I have read so much info on who they use for blanks, and never found a straight answer. Any idea what blanks they use?
    They USED to use Shilen back in the day. Back when all my Rainier barrels were built...I know that because I was told that by the Rainier Arms barrel QA/QC guy. But, that was almost a decade ago. I honestly have no idea who they use today. 🤷🏼

I had a 2008 Weatherby Mark-V Accumark .257 Wby Mag with a manufacturer's defective factory Criterion barrel...Back when Weatherby went cheap for about 4 years, before going back to cut-rifled barrels... It was the absolute worst factory barrel I've ever seen. My gunsmith said the same thing. It had over 10 tight-spots in the bore, and less than 250 rounds down it. It was great for about 75 shots...Then it started throwing baseball-sized groups at 100 yards for no reason. I swapped ammo, tried a bunch of different handloads, nothing worked. After about 150-175 wasted shots, I gave up.

When I called Weatherby about getting it replaced under warranty, In a nutshell, some douche basically told me to "fuck off" and that it "wasn't their problem"... And Criterion said it was up to Weatherby since it was their rifle...They just made the [defective] barrel. Essentially a wild goose chase that would have never ended up with me getting the rifle barrel replaced with a new one. So I ended up trading it off at a substantial loss. I'll never buy another Weatherby or Criterion product as long as I live.

I'd like to think the new Rainier barrels are Pac Nor blanks.....but I can't prove it.
    I've got an AR308 16" from them, the stainless/fluted Ultra Match model, and while I have yet to shoot it (back issues) it IS a very beautiful looking item.
    The machine work is some of the best I've seen and that includes stuff like CLE, Mega Arms, Area 19, etc etc.....it is that nice.

BUT!!!!

See my Public Service announcement in the bear pit.
    You DO NOT want to buy anything from Rainier......ever.

I'd like to think the new Rainier barrels are Pac Nor blanks.....but I can't prove it.
    I've got an AR308 16" from them, the stainless/fluted Ultra Match model, and while I have yet to shoot it (back issues) it IS a very beautiful looking item.
    The machine work is some of the best I've seen and that includes stuff like CLE, Mega Arms, Area 19, etc etc.....it is that nice.

BUT!!!!

They got that fixed months ago... The hack has been fixed, their servers and software has been updated to prevent it from happening again. I bought during that time frame, and nothing has happened with my card. I even got a letter in the mail about it the other day.

You know how many places get hacked? TONS!!! I wouldn't let something like that, which has been corrected months ago, keep you from buying from them now. That seems kind of stupid, honestly. Especially since they have been open and honest about it, and done everything they could to correct the situation.

Reactions: PorkChop

Meh. Only way to insure CC security is to not have one. I rarely use one and have still had my info stolen multiple times. I've never been informed by whoever had the breach, but my bank usually catches it pretty quick. Seems pretty drastic to write Rainier off that quick.

Reactions: FuhQ