• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Shutter Island

ace31

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2009
Va Beach, Va/Orange County, Ca
I have not been to the movies in months but after going for a lil walk tonight I decided I drop in at a movie theater and catch the first flik playing.

It turned out to be a pretty good movie, full of twists and scenes that will get you questioning your own sanity. Things changing colors, things popping then disappearing. I've never been in to horror movies but this was a great psychological twister.

You ladies and gents should check it out!

Re: Shutter Island

Yeah, it's a fucked up movie (subject matter wise) but it's a very taught thriller and Scorcese once again nail's the 1950-60s Hitchcock style. I worked on that film for the better part of a year and it was a sincere pleasure.

I'm really looking forward to the movie. I'm hoping that they stuck close to the book. Others by Dennis Lehane: MYSTIC RIVER,GONE BABY GONE,SACRED

Well, I'm in the credits
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ace31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and your name is? lol I dont expect you to answer that, but now I'm somewhat curious. </div></div>

I was the Effects Lead for The Syndicate (which did 99% of the visual effects shots on the film).

Only if you're talking about Paul and Xina Graff.

Yeah, excellent movie. Scorcese did a great job telling that story.

Loved it. Head was spinning towards the end.

For those of you who saw the movie, I bet you didn't know how much of what you saw was added in after the fact. Take a look at this simple breakdown of some of the work we did in the film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxMPgjhVYuQ

View in 1080 HD resolution if possible

You have got to be kidding me. All of that done with so little? Are a lot of movies like that now a days Dogtown? Is there any way somebody can spend a day on the set of a movie just watching everything that goes on? I'm guessing not. That was some pretty cool stuff Dogtown. Thanks for sharing.

Yup, the digital post production process has fundamentally changed the way films are made. This one is a good example - it's not a visual effects driven film like "Avatar" but instead the visual effects are used to support the story and in the end help create the director's vision. CGI is expensive but sometimes it's cheaper than filming reality and or safer.

Good movie.

I have been a Scorcese fan since "Raging Bull." Hard to beat Leonardo D. He always does a great job.

Dogtown, puts new perspective on the ability of actors to genuinely "act" when they have to add their own imagination to flesh out a scene while shooting. Truly remarkable.

the effects were amazing save the fire scene, granted it was in a dream sequence. The flames seemed dispersed unnaturally. They looked real just not how a real fire would look. The movie was pretty good. ive been contemplating the last scene for a few days where he tells his doctor we had them fooled, or something to that effect. I think he may have wanted the labotomy to forget what really happened, and new pretending he faked it to his primary doctor was the way of getting it.

FYI, in the Apartment Dream sequence with the fire, it's made to look not entirely real specifically because it's a dream sequence. Next time you have a look at those shots, especially the wide one after his wife crumbles to ash, notice how some of the flames are moving backwards. There are actually a few shots like that where we deliberately mucked with reality to make it seem surreal like a dream.

One other tid bit, when he comes back to the cliff's edge and can't find Chuck, he looks down at water and thinks he sees him laying on the rocks - that's me
wink.gif

I actually didn't like it. I left the movie theater thinking it was a little too simple. It had the makings of a great movie, and I LOVE Scorcese, The Departed still reigns as one of my all time favorites, but I really didn't like this one.

I felt it was too simple of an ending, I called it in the first 15 minutes and the rest of it simply just dragged on. Visually, it was great, dark, and twisted, but I can't get over how simple it was.

It wasnt bad, but it could have been a lot better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apache</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually didn't like it. I left the movie theater thinking it was a little too simple. It had the makings of a great movie, and I LOVE Scorcese, The Departed still reigns as one of my all time favorites, but I really didn't like this one.

I felt it was too simple of an ending, I called it in the first 15 minutes and the rest of it simply just dragged on. Visually, it was great, dark, and twisted, but I can't get over how simple it was.

It wasnt bad, but it could have been a lot better. </div></div>
I figured it out from the add along with about ten of my friends who thought the same thing. I was kind of hopeing it was going to be something else but none the less still a great movie.

There's no pleasing some people.

There are few people I hate watching movies with more than those that "call" whats going to happen, or what the twist is going to be. Nobody thinks your smart. A movie is a whole lot more than the "surprise" final 15 minutes.

Read the book a couple years ago and loved it, I thought the movie was a perfect compliment to the book.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mumbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's no pleasing some people.

There are few people I hate watching movies with more than those that "call" whats going to happen, or what the twist is going to be. Nobody thinks your smart. A movie is a whole lot more than the "surprise" final 15 minutes.

Read the book a couple years ago and loved it, I thought the movie was a perfect compliment to the book. </div></div>
The book was great along with the graphic novel. The author is flat out brilliant! Dennis Lehane is one of the best authors of our time. I think this was a great book and took Lehane out of his usual writing story. I think most of the time when you watch a movie based off the book you feel like they destroyed every good thing in the book while this movie made every good thing in the book come to life in an perfect display of directing and CG artist. And I agree that their is more to the movie than the last fifteen minutes!

My son, who speaks no German whatsoever, is in Germany. He went to see this movie the other night with three German girls. Of course, all dialogue was in German.

He said it looked "interesting", but he had a good time.
That's my boy!

His mother and I watched it tonight.
I cannot imagine watching it in a another language, but then again, I didn't have three hot German girls with me.

Easily one of the best movies I have seen in a long time.

Fucked up in every way, but GREAT!

I told my wife this. "The difference between sanity and insanity is a simple matter of majority rule."

Very good for the type. I dont think that they could have made the commercials anything like the movie. Its just sooo bizarre, but excellent.

so was he crazy or not? the movie dragged on so horribly that i just figured it was shown in real time. to me the last line leo said to the "doctor" was him admitting that he was never going to get off the island so just go ahead an lobotomize me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so was he crazy or not? the movie dragged on so horribly that i just figured it was shown in real time. to me the last line leo said to the "doctor" was him admitting that he was never going to get off the island so just go ahead an lobotomize me.</div></div>

He WAS crazy and at the end when he realized who he really was, he said something to the Doc like It's better to die a good man than a monster. The good man being the detective he believed he was, and the monster being the man that let his psycho wife murder their children.

decent movie, still wondering how he ended up on the boat bringing him to the island in the first place.