• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SI Defense Uppers and lowers opinions?

snwghst

Private
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2010
United States
As I was late to the party on the JD/SH group buy

I have started looking at other shops that produce matched 7.62/308 uppers and lowers

There is little reference to opinions of SI

I waded through the SH search, looked through the SH google-fu

I am curious as I will definitely support MT companies, when I can (I lived there longer than any other place for my entire life)

Thanks

Re: SI Defense Uppers and lowers opinions?

I have three of these uppers. 2 of the A3 and one of the enhanced all .308 DPMS profile.

They are tight and very well made. I mated one up to a black hole 24". I have only 20 rounds through it still breaking in the barrel but it looks looks like its going to run 1/2-3/4 MOA

I haven't built the enhanced yet I plan to put a Black Hole 16" with a Wells .308 suppressor and PS22 with possibly a laser on the side rail for a wicked night hog gun.

Bought a lower for a DPMS. Well made and they even set it up to more perfectly mate with the DPMS upper.

I haven't seen a SI recently (in the past year) but their old lowers were JUNK. They didn't have a broaching machine so they CNC'd the magwell. They were horrible "stair stepping" on the inside of the magwell and the magwells were tight. Their finishes would chip off on the corners and the were various dings all over. No care was taken to make the lowers I saw (I saw well over a hundred).

They may have improved but honestly, with so many other brands out there, I see no reason to go with SI.

I bought 3 SI lowers from a smith here on the Hide during the great panic and all 3 were garbage . The mag wells were so tight you could not insert a magazine (Steel , aluminum , PMag) , the area where you insert the upper had a .005 taper from top to bottom and were too tight to install an upper on (we tried 5 different from various manufacturers) and the pin holes were not in the correct spots . I sent all 3 back to SI and they reworked or replaced all of them . They did not refund my shipping and after I made sure they would all work I sold them at a loss with the full disclosure of all the problems I had . You couldn't give me a SI lower .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought 3 SI lowers from a smith here on the Hide during the great panic and all 3 were garbage . The mag wells were so tight you could not insert a magazine (Steel , aluminum , PMag) , the area where you insert the upper had a .005 taper from top to bottom and were too tight to install an upper on (we tried 5 different from various manufacturers) and the pin holes were not in the correct spots . I sent all 3 back to SI and they reworked or replaced all of them . They did not refund my shipping and after I made sure they would all work I sold them at a loss with the full disclosure of all the problems I had . You couldn't give me a SI lower . </div></div>
Ah yes, I forgot to add that I too did NOT get a refund in shipping either. In my case, the first batch ALL went back to them and they reworked every single one. Once I got them back, 70% of them had to go back to be re-reworked. I eventually sent them back for a refund AT A LOSS since they didn't cover the multiple shipping.

I wouldn't let them make spoons for me.