• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

sick of buying ammo online

army46

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2011
OCONUS
i have a mauser argentino 1891 and i am sick of buying all my ammo online and not being able to shoot whenever i want. im looking at doing a sporterized set up, i was looking at ideas for making it a med-long range hunting rifle. and as i am new to distance shooting i am completely lost if anyone has any help or ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

Re: sick of buying ammo online

i was wondering what differnt thing people have done that have been sucsessful with their personal customizations. sorry for the vauge question.

Well lets see here, sick of buying ammo online, need to "customize"....

Step 1 - Throw the South American Mauser off a bridge after cutting the receiver in half.

Step 2 - Go to your local gun store and pick up a .22 rifle. Ruger 10/22, Remington 597, Marlin XT22, etc.

Step 3 - Go to the local Walmart and get a couple thousand rounds of .22LR for less than $100.

Step 4 - Spray paint rifle in a hideous and asinine "tactical" pattern with rattle cans bought from said Walmart.

Step 5 - You are now "suc<span style="color: #FF0000">c</span>essful with your personal customizations", and don't have to buy any ammo online.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bauer460</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have a mauser argentino 1891 and i am sick of buying all my ammo online and not being able to shoot whenever i want. im looking at doing a sporterized set up, i was looking at ideas for making it a med-long range hunting rifle. and as i am new to distance shooting i am completely lost if anyone has any help or ideas they would be greatly appreciated. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bauer460</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i was wondering what differnt thing people have done that have been sucsessful with their personal customizations. sorry for the vauge question. </div></div>

Uh...where to begin...

Well, first off...if you don't reload and you don't like getting raped/raked over the coals paying "local" prices for ammo, or if you are otherwise struggling to find it locally, then either start reloading or suck it up and buy your ammo online in bulk so you have it when you need it. It isn't as if 7.65 Argentine ammo is unobtainable (maybe locally), but several companies make current production ammo (PRVI for one). If you buy in bulk (at least 200 rounds at a time), you can get it for as cheap as around $0.60/round (maybe cheaper if you search around).

Secondly, I would rid your mind the idea of the 1891 Mauser as a platform for "customization" and start with something that you can actually work on, for which upgrades/parts/aftermarket support exists, and for which you actually have a snowball's chance in hell of turning into an accurate "med-long range hunting rifle" (i.e. - something that isn't a 3MOA rifle) without spending a bunch of money that won't help all that much and will end up destroying a decent Mauser in the process. The Mauser is a nice, historical rifle for which ammo is plentiful and still relatively cheap and should be enjoyed AS IS. Leave the Mauser well enough alone and enjoy shooting it in its original condition.

If you want a "med-long range hunting rifle" then go to Wally World, Dick's, the PX here on the Hide, etc. and find a deal on a Remington or Savage bolt action in the caliber of your chosing (based on the ranges you want to shoot and the game you want to take) and then go from there in terms of what you want/need in your rifle project.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well lets see here, sick of buying ammo online, need to "customize"....

Step 1 - Throw the South American Mauser off a bridge after cutting the receiver in half.

Step 2 - Go to your local gun store and pick up a .22 rifle. Ruger 10/22, Remington 597, Marlin XT22, etc.

Step 3 - Go to the local Walmart and get a couple thousand rounds of .22LR for less than $100.

Step 4 - Spray paint rifle in a hideous and asinine "tactical" pattern with rattle cans bought from said Walmart.

Step 5 - You are now "suc<span style="color: #FF0000">c</span>essful with your personal customizations", and don't have to buy any ammo online.</div></div>
Do this^^^^^. A 22LR will teach you much. FWIW, you should read more and search more. Post less

building hunting rifles from old military rifles is a thing of the past. By the time you buy a stock, bend a bolt, buy a barrel and chamber it, buy a trigger, shape the trigger guard, install a new saftey, drill and tap for scope mounts, and blur the metal and finish the stock, you could have bought a new rifle and LOTS of ammo. I have built custom 98 Mausers 40 years ago when they were cheap and there were a lot of cut-up ones to be hade. I have a 25-06 that is a tack driver on a VZ 24 action. I may have $275 in it when I built it in 1973. I change the barrel later to the 25-06 so totall would be $375 in the late 1970's It was still cheaper than a Remington at that time and I didn't need to lay out all the cash at once. My time was not added into the total price, but if it was, I would have as much into it as or more as a new rifle. If I tried to sell it, it would only bring half of what I have in it in todays market.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drunkhumpinmonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well lets see here, sick of buying ammo online, need to "customize"....

Step 5 - You are now "suc<span style="color: #FF0000">c</span>essful with your personal customizations", and don't have to buy any ammo online.</div></div>
Do this^^^^^. A 22LR will teach you much. FWIW, you should read more and search more. Post less </div></div>

Do this. READ READ READ and FILTER

"customizing"an arg 91 or any other like milsurp is a hideous practice that ruins a vanishing piece of history. plus,it is a huge waste of time,$ and won't give acceptable results as stated above. the arg 91 is the second worst choice for that anyway. sell the gun at a show or online-gun boards or surplus rifles and buy a modern gun of you choice. i collected milsurps too long and esp latin mausers and have seen more screwups along the lines you speak of than i care to remember. of course,it is still you property to deal with as you wish.

I'm pretty sure that Argentine Mausers were made in Germany, right? They're pretty nice. I could never see sawing one in half.

The time for sporterizing Mausers should be over. If it's already sporterized go for it, otherwise it seems like a real waste.

What's funny is my dad gave me a sporterized Chilean that he shot corrosive ammo in and the barrel is shot. Someday I'll get it rebarrelled and I'm not even sure about that 7mm chambering. He had it black chromed and put a really painful butterknife style bolt handle on it. And handmade a mannlicher style stock for it which has a big crack in the tang area. (And is overall really weirdly styled.) It's kind of a an odd duck and I'm really not sure what I'll end up doing.

I'm betting that if you did anything to that Argentine, it would end up like my chilean. An oddball project rifle that sits in the corner as a sad visage of it's former self.

bauer460,

I was going to respond the other day, but felt ORD covered it not only succinctly, but substantially. There are better Mausers that have already been hacked to build into customs.

Without pics I can't tell you what would be easier to do with your rifle. Fortunately for this caliber, a couple bullets stand out for medium and long range shooting. That is the original 174 gr. FMJ bullet or Hornady's 174 FMJ. These are ballistically efficient enough to get you to 1k. That's partly because the rifle actually has a tighter than 1-10" twist and 'over-stabilizes' them. The 1891 is a nice rifle, but if you seriously want to shoot an Argentino, the 1909 is the one you want to get.

The best thing to do for these is reload. Then you can tailor ammo to the rifle and if it's in decent shape, and you can shoot blade type open sights these things are killer.

For people who can't handle owning or hearing about Mauser's, i.e. throwing it off a bridge, don't respond to the thread. Your ignorance is showing like a whores pantaloons on a Saturday night. Try to keep in mind ALL of the accurate rifles you shoot today are based of the Mauser design....
smirk.gif

Salmonaxe,

There are a number of gunsmiths around the country that can make that Chilean into either a wonderful shooter and/or make it into a great custom or back into what it was. If the action has solid metal, then there's no need not to shoot it. It does take some money to get it back into shape and no it's not ever going to be a super shooter like an AICS. But, it will be a solid shooter if you make it into what it could be. If it's a '95 (Mauser) or 1912 (Steyr) or 1935 (Mauser) it should be in 7x57. That's if they are original.

I will say this: Having grown up learning how to shoot in scopes only, it hurt my ability to shoot open sights immensely. I was lucky enough to have an S2 officer where I was stationed who used to be a competition shooter for the Army. He gave us a number of great tips for shooting the peep sighted M-16. Those tips helped me shoot expert (40/40 for 4 of 6 quals). I applied those principles to the Mauser sights and believe me, they can shoot well.