• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sick of my FFL

Filthy fish

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2018
Iowa
Every time I get a gun shipped through my local ffl they act like they are done by me a painful favor. I get it they wish I would of bought the rifle from them but when they are 300$ higher and I would have to pay tax. It just isn’t in the cards for me to pay 500$ more just to support local. I support local when possible but I’m not going to throw 500$ out the window just to do it.
I guess I will take my 20$ per rifle elsewhere ?

Reactions: jLorenzo
$20 is about the middle of the road around here. My best gun shop is $10, some are as high as $40.

Often they are doing you a painful favor. There is a reason some charge more for tranfers from certain sources (Bud's). It's because they requently encounter issues which consume a lot of their time, putting them under water on time vs the fee they charge.

The FFL I use does well by me because I do well by them. I have sometimes paid a little more to go direct through them knowing I can avoid any issues, and this gets me on their "good list" so when I want to FFL transfer stuff they can't get me a good deal on (or at all) it's worth their time to keep me happy. Moral of the story, develop a good relationship with the shop and they'll likely take care of you.

Transfers here are now $30 at the two places I’ve used. Both charge $30 for writing down an additional serial number, something I found out after panic buying ~$50 stripped receivers. One is gracious about it and open late, so that’s the one I mostly deal with. Oh, and $30+ powder, no fucking way...

If they don't like you than take your money elsewhere. If they are just being a dick than they probably are burn outs. If they arent going to do it right and provide customer service than we don't want them doing it at all. You don't necessarily get what you pay for. If they want $40 than I want at least a reach around.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they don't like you than take your money elsewhere. If they are just being a dick than they probably are burn outs. If they arent going to do it right and provide customer service than we don't want them doing it at all. You don't necessarily get what you pay for. If they want $40 than I want at least a reach around.
Yup when they first opened they were the cool guys shop. With a passion for guns. Now three or fours later you can tell it officially turned into work for them and they are burnt out. They are the cheapest transfer in town but at least a hi when you walk in would be nice

I finally found an FFL that is the best I've ever worked with, and charges $16 per transfer. That is a smoking deal around here, and I always give him a $20 and buy from him whenever I can.

I finally found an FFL that is the best I've ever worked with, and charges $16 per transfer. That is a smoking deal around here, and I always give him a $20 and buy from him whenever I can.
They just make it hard to support local when they are over 300$ more on gun and I have to pay tax.

Reactions: Strykervet
My LGS doesn’t sell anything I’m interested in buying (maybe a used pistol once in a while). They’re primarily a custom AR shop. That said, I’m friends with them, shoot with them, and try to give them business when I can. I’m lucky they’re not a percision rifle shop. I’d be F’n broke all the time if they sold stuff I like!

I've found the best FFLs for internet purchased transfers are those who work out of their house and have an FFL as much for their own purposes as for doing business. They're happy to make the transfers for you as it further establishes their legitimacy as a business, and they often know their shit pretty well and are good to chew the fat with while filling out paperwork. I had an awesome one outside Knoxville who was a Class III and cut his own receivers and other parts on a small CNC in his garage while not doing police work that was his usual day job. I'm trying to find another like him.

There's a local pawn and gun shop, a really good shop, here in town that charges $75 per transfer. I asked the owner why so much. It's because he doesn't want to do them. It takes too much of his employee's time. He'll do them, but it's gonna cost ya $75. My regular LGS that I use charges $25, but he's 25 miles from here. When the JHRs are released, I'm trying a new LGS that's much closer. He charges $20/transfer.

$20 is not bad. Sure there are lower but many are much higher. If you haven't already, plug your zip in gunbroker's FFL finder and see what other options there are in your area. Depending on location, there are often FFLs willing to do transfers that you wouldn't come across otherwise. And like already stated, your transfer may be easy but there are a lot of transfers that aren't and a major PITA for the FFL.

What's even worse is when they "disappear" stuff that was coming included with your inbound transfer.

I used to go to this one and they definitely make it clear to you they are doing you a favor. So you follow tracking, rifle arrives. You go there an hour or two after they open to let 'em get shit in order. Just to show up and have wasted a trip because they won't have it ready for another 2-3 business days. If it's a holiday or weekend, or worse a weekend followed by a holiday, you're just fucked.

No law. No reason. They say "we have to do paperwork and just don't have the time". That "we'll call you when we're ready for your". WTF? While I was there, I saw 'em fill out papers for numerous sales and execute 'em all on the spot. They didn't have to come back days later (if they have their permit). So why am I treated different? Gave 'em what they wanted and still had to pay taxes and still had to wait days.

That's Marksman in Puyallup, stay the fuck away. They also won't tell prices over the phone, same message for last fifteen years says "competitors call to shop our prices taking away valuable time from our customers". Valuable time telling customers to come back in a few days when they feel like it, since it's not like you're gonna go elsewhere! I wonder when the last time a competitor called. I wonder how many times over the years everyone else has called just to check a price. What it is, they don't want you shopping around, has nothing to do with competitors. If they did tell their prices, you'd see they cost more than anyone else and nobody would ever go after calling. Their convenience in being close was shattered when they couldn't even keep the one type of ammo I buy in stock. Ever.

Quantico Tactical in Tacoma has FAR better transfer prices and it's even less for additional items, so if you get four receivers only the first one costs like $20 and the rest are $5 I think. And they'll gladly give you what you ordered and prefer you pick it up the day it came or shortly after. Also a better store, better prices, especially for military, police, veterans, retirees, etc. and is

What's even worse is when they "disappear" stuff that was coming included with your inbound transfer.

Yeah, I generally have that stuff sent to another address if at all possible. Here you get to pay for taxes on firearms, so getting them to come with as little as possible is in your best interest.

But there's no reason they need to open the box with your shit in it without you being there. No reason. They can fill out all the numbers then. I went in one time, to the fucking Marksman no less, to find out a bunch of gun counter fucks had opened up a wooden transfer case "because they couldn't wait to see what was inside" and then played around with an M2HB they knew absolutely nothing about while I had to wait to pick it up because of their bullshit!

Other dealers I've used won't open it until you get there. You check it out together. Quantico has been like that so far, I never used 'em for firearms really until about a couple years ago when they really got more into it. One of a few places where the gun counter guy is worth talking to.

No offense to anyone in the biz, but unless your name is Bucky Brownell or Mathew Midway my time is orders of magnitude more valuable than yours, period. Sorry.

I can see a local shop getting tripped out about you buying a new gun at a warehouse/dropoff type vendor on GB, GA or AA. But, it really pisses me off when they bitch about a used gun they don't, and couldn't possibly have, in inventory.

A place in MSP charges you extra for a gun you could order through his shop and chose to do business elsewhere, but he doesn't charge that fee if it's used and he doesn't have one. I think that's fair. If we want our favorite gunshops to hang around, we have to buy from them. Kind of a rule of business actually, they gotta make money.

That said, the things I hate the most, and it's been brought out here, is the dragging their feet on a transfer, "losing" the stuff that came with the firearm, keeping the shipping box that can be re-used, and TAKING AN ATTITUDE WITH THE CUSTOMER...ME! I don't need to go into a gun shop and be made to feel guilty for being there. I always make it a point to buy local when I can, and not a box store.

The place I use in Plano mostly charges about $35 per transfer and are fine with doing so as mostly if it's something I order in, it's because they don't carry it.

I've found after I got to know them pretty well, when I am interested in something, I ask them to look into it & see what they could get one for me at. A good part of the time they are at the same price or cheaper than online or at a gun show (which tend to be overpriced these days anyways).
They also like getting to look at the cool new toys.

I've also found that putting the more "normal" stuff on consignment sale with them tends to actually net me more than trying to sell it online & ship it to someone.

One thing however is that almost none of the FFLs around here will accept inbound shipments from an individual anymore.

Yeah, some of these locals don't get how a 40 year old never shot Cold War weapon still packed in its own weight in cosemoline with Commie bloc markings ends up at their door. Lol. Then there are those that really dig it.

Old FFL in NY used to get pissed off about doing transfers too. I bought a few things years ago that were not common items, certainly things he would never stock. They wanted to charge me the transfer fee plus 15% of the value of the gun. I told him to fuck off. They never got the 15% from me and I stopped transfers altogether

Im luck then My local FFL does most of his business by transfers. He charges #20 for firearms, $5 for ammo. I have built a good relationship with him buy bringing in lunch from a local restaurant time to time. ( it pays to grease the wheel!) I never had to wait to get my stuff, and get a call when my stuff arrives. He supports community events when I ask him for donations.

There was a time, when there was a thread, about FFL's, and what they charged.

Seems to me, it was built up State By State, and City By City.

And in some Cities, even Shop By Shop. But see, that would all depend on user/local input for updating.

It sure would be nice if such a thing existed, eh?

There was a time, when there was a thread, about FFL's, and what they charged.

Seems to me, it was built up State By State, and City By City.

And in some Cities, even Shop By Shop. But see, that would all depend on user/local input for updating.

It sure would be nice if such a thing existed, eh?

If we do set that up again, it would be good to have a note beside each one with the date last verified that they were still GTG

Try and find a home based FFL; most of those guys live primarily off of transfers since they can't compete with the Brick & Mortar stores on price. They're usually more than happy to help you out and do all the transfers you want.

The irony is, for anyone/everyone who don't look around the other forums of the site..... it has been a STICKY in the DIY forum for many many years.

It has been brought back and forth from "other sites" more than once, and I had maintained it until just this past fall when another member took over for me, because things needed more of a computerologist's training.

The information is there, and has been there for years. It's only as complete as you locals can make it. Do with it as you will. Go forth and prosper.

Try and find a home based FFL; most of those guys live primarily off of transfers since they can't compete with the Brick & Mortar stores on price. They're usually more than happy to help you out and do all the transfers you want.

Yep, this in spades. I don't use Gun Shops cuz we ain't got any local. Had one recently at the bottom of the hill below the S.O. but they folded. Had a Gun Shop over in Warrenton Oregon we'd use when they first got up and going. 3 guys with an idea that turned into a nightmare. Shit for serivce and made ya feel like you were bothering them when ya entered. EVERYBODY up and said fuck'm and they folded.

Home based is way good. Our Pharmacist and personal friend let's me enjoy his FFL for some smoked Fish or Deer/Elk Steaks. Another personal friend who's my Smith and a Reserve Officer/Deputy takes care of me for the same barter or a 'little' cash. Having friends with FFL's makes life GOOD!! ;)

Last edited:
My FFL is a friend of mine. For the longest time he wouldn't charge me anything. But you cannot have an FFL for personal use only...you must be a business. I was aware of this when I considered getting my own FFL. Anyway, when the ATF came to check his books, they said he HAD to start charging a transfer fee or he wouldn't be considered a business. He said, OK how about $5? They told him they thought that was too low for a legitimate business, that anything under $15 wouldn't pass scrutiny. On the plus side, I have no problem giving my friend $15. On the negative side, how the hell is the ATF setting prices?

I've found the best FFLs for internet purchased transfers are those who work out of their house and have an FFL as much for their own purposes as for doing business. They're happy to make the transfers for you as it further establishes their legitimacy as a business, and they often know their shit pretty well and are good to chew the fat with while filling out paperwork. I had an awesome one outside Knoxville who was a Class III and cut his own receivers and other parts on a small CNC in his garage while not doing police work that was his usual day job. I'm trying to find another like him.
Try Buster Ivory in Gillette. On the side of his house.... I bought my Suppressor from him, even though I live in Cheyenne. He has a very respectable inventory of legit guns. And has another job elsewhere.

Reactions: Redmanss
My FFL is a friend of mine. For the longest time he wouldn't charge me anything. But you cannot have an FFL for personal use only...you must be a business. I was aware of this when I considered getting my own FFL. Anyway, when the ATF came to check his books, they said he HAD to start charging a transfer fee or he wouldn't be considered a business. He said, OK how about $5? They told him they thought that was too low for a legitimate business, that anything under $15 wouldn't pass scrutiny. On the plus side, I have no problem giving my friend $15. On the negative side, how the hell is the ATF setting prices?

It's none of their business what he charges, but he does have to be in the business of dealing in firearms. In my County, a business license is required. ATF will call the county before issuing a license and they can call them to confirm someone still has a business license. If your friend just transfers firearms to himself or does not transfer enough to other people to justify being an ffl, then he may get his license pulled. ATF sees the bound book and firearms and required signage or storage. ATF is not the IRS.

It's none of their business what he charges, but he does have to be in the business of dealing in firearms. In my County, a business license is required. ATF will call the county before issuing a license and they can call them to confirm someone still has a business license. If your friend just transfers firearms to himself or does not transfer enough to other people to justify being an ffl, then he may get his license pulled. ATF sees the bound book and firearms and required signage or storage. ATF is not the IRS.
Yup he should be able to charge 1$ if he wants

Yep, this in spades. I don't use Gun Shops cuz we ain't got any local. Had one recently at the bottom of the hill below the S.O. but they folded. Had a Gun Shop over in Warrenton Oregon we'd use when they first got up and going. 3 guys with an idea that turned into a nightmare. Shit for serivce and made ya feel like you were bothering them when ya entered. EVERYBODY up and said fuck'm and they folded.

Home based is way good. Our Pharmacist and personal friend let's me enjoy his FFL for some smoked Fish or Deer/Elk Steaks. Another personal friend who's my Smith and a Reserve Officer/Deputy takes care of me for the same barter or a 'little' cash. Having friends with FFL's makes life GOOD!! ;)
I will definitely look for a home based gun shop

Reactions: 1J04
Local store here charges $35 if they don't stock it, $70 if they do. Was interesting getting a barreled action sent to them because they do stock the R700's... They folded when I told them to order me a brand new barreled action then and they told me it wasn't in their system. lol

Local store here charges $35 if they don't stock it, $70 if they do. Was interesting getting a barreled action sent to them because they do stock the R700's... They folded when I told them to order me a brand new barreled action then and they told me it wasn't in their system. lol
To me even at 20$ it’s easy money for them.

To me even at 20$ it’s easy money for them.
True, I knew an owner of a gunshop who dealt, of all things, in high dollar guns (what he preferred) and musical instruments. So, in order to keep the inventory down of weapons he didn't want taking up space, he was quite happy to get them gone on GB, and do transfers. No matter how cheap the guy got a firearm, he made $25 a transfer. That was a win-win for him as he then didn't stock stuff that wasn't his niche for selling. He did stock new rifles in Cooper and Weatherby. And, he ordered in a Merkel and a brand new Mauser 98 Mag. (that was 10 grand), Normally though, he made a pretty good business out of stocking the $1k-$3k firearms that he found used. I was surprised at how much that market moved for him.

The transfers paid all the bills for the shop. Which allowed him to take the profit from high dollar sales and put it back into high dollar firearm purchases.

I guess the difference is box stores invested all their money in a huge warehouse type store and then a bunch in the inventory. His store cost was low and since he invested NO money in small item inventory (or even big new inventory) he made almost what a box store makes selling a low cost firearm. The drop shippers, like Bud's, cost less "at the counter" than what a local box store would sell it for. So, he undersold without even investing.

So I manage a gunshot. Here's my deal with transfers. We don't charge a lot and we're orders of magnitude lower on NFA transfers. Price doesn't change even if I could've gotten it for you. Money is money and I'm happy to do it without getting upset. Now if Im busy in the shop and a couple transfers come in then the customer on the floor takes precedence. The guys that will follow a tracking number and show up 1 minute after it gets dropped off and then gets upset because it's not ready piss me off to no end.

Pricing. I try to be as competitive as I can. Sometimes I can beat buds sometimes I can't. At the end of the day I'm a business that has to make money and I don't have the buying power that a lot of the bigger box stores do.

Here's the biggest thing that pisses me off. I do my absolute best to help the customer and provide the best solution I can. I've spent hours with a customer, figured out they needed a cheap 22 and thats fine or figured out that they're needs were better served by going elsewhere and thats fine.
I've even gone so far as to loan out personal rifles and handguns for people to try to make sure it's what they are comfortable with and will fit their need. Now Im happy to make a deal combining scopes and rifle I'll make you a hell of a deal. Handguns and all the accessories no problem. Then the customer questions my price says, I should do better business and then orders it from Buds. Yeah I'm pissed.

If your local gunshop is a dick head or a jack ass know it all then don't shop there. Tell em to pound sand. If they aren't willing to learn about your particular gun hobby then fuck em. I've had customers come in and ask for parts for some really weird stuff. Ill tell em I have no idea what your talking about. But tell me what you need how it works and I'll find it. At the end of the day if you want a local gunshop around find a good one and go buy something. Doesn't have to be a gun. In case nobody ever told you margins on guns aren't much. So if you cruise in and buy a holster and a couple boxes of ammo that's fine. And at least give them a chance to work with you on ordering a firearm.

Reactions: Redmanss
I've had customers come in and ask for parts for some really weird stuff. Ill tell em I have no idea what your talking about. But tell me what you need how it works and I'll find it. At the end of the day if you want a local gunshop around find a good one and go buy something. Doesn't have to be a gun. In case nobody ever told you margins on guns aren't much. So if you cruise in and buy a holster and a couple boxes of ammo that's fine. And at least give them a chance to work with you on ordering a firearm.

My favourite little local gun store is really good at finding stuff and being competitive with price when asked on a lot of the run of the mill stuff. Inexperienced people think that at a gun show or online they will get the best price, but quite often (since I know them and they are willing to work with me on the price), the local gun store can actually have a better landed price for you.

I usually try to buy a couple boxes of ammo or some cleaning supplies each time I visit if no guns are happening, unless I'm bringing them lunch or a big bunch of cookies etc.