• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Sidearms when hunting

Remsen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2006
Northern California (occupied)
I had a bit of a debate with my brother this weekend over the subject of carrying a sidearm when deer hunting with a rifle. It got me thinking about what other people do, so here's my questions:

1. Do you carry a sidearm when hunting deer/elk/antelope/other big game with a rifle?
2. If yes, what is your preferred sidearm?
3. What is your preferred load in the sidearm?

Re: Sidearms when hunting

I carry my 1911 when I bow hunt becuse we have a new state law that if you have a CDWL you can carry to protect yourself from all the WILD animal in the woods.

When I have a rifle no side arm.

I hunted one year with my 92fs in a think thicket. That was fun. Killed one too

I started carrying a pistol while out deer hunting because so many times I would have deer so close to the blind it seemed ridiculous to use a rifle!
Shot a few with a 45 ACP at 25 yards or so and 230 Gold Dots and HST...

then got the bug to actually handgun hunt and went through a few different revolvers, 357 mag, 41 mag and 44 mag

my go to gun for handgun hunting is a Smith 44 with a 6.5" barrel and an Aimpoint T1, loaded with 255g Hardcast at 1200 FPS

I have the bug to get a 4.5" 45LC Bisley grip single action when I want something a bit more minimal than the dedicated hunting revolver... the Smith 44 is what I use if I want to get something with a handgun, but a little lighter/more compact open sight gun would be nice for an "always on me" gun

though, I am also considering trying some 255g hardcasts for the 1911 after seeing them on Buffalo Bores site

I also carry my 1911 and a G20. Depending on which one I have at the time with me. Along twith the old trusty 336.

another gun I would like to get ahold of would be a Smith Mountain Gun in stainless, 4", 45 LC

I know you can't run real stout loads in a smith, but I don't think you need to

I hunt coues right down on the mexican border of AZ. I always have my G-23 and a few mags with me at all times. When not down on the border, I like to carry a 1911.

Always carry my CCW gun, hunting or not. Mine is a SA XP in .40S&W with 180gr XP hollow points.

I would not go into the woods without a sidearm. Hell I won't go to Wal-mart without one.

A Colt Python 6" .357 carried in a Bianchi Phantom shoulder holster when rifle hunting the Hill Country of Texas or a Ruger Bisley .44 Mag loaded with hard cast bullets and a healthy dose of IMR 4227 (mainly for bears and if separated from my rifle) when hunting Elk in the Jackson Hole Country of Wyoming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mk4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A Colt Python 6" .357 carried in a Bianchi Phantom shoulder holster when rifle hunting the Hill Country of Texas or a Ruger Bisley .44 Mag loaded with hard cast bullets and a healthy dose of IMR 4227 (mainly for bears and if separated from my rifle) when hunting Elk in the Jackson Hole Country of Wyoming. </div></div>

Thanks to all for the replies. I was waiting for someone to mention a .357, as that's what I carry (a Ruger GP100). My brother, who is a more experienced hunter than I am, thought that a semi auto .45 was the better choice but I argued that the GP100 with an appropriate .357 load was more than adequate.

ill carry my sig 228 loaded w/ corbon where i hunt there is a chance of bear i know the 9mm is too small but i shoot it well
and 14 shots should work if not chicks dig scars.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mk4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A Colt Python 6" .357 carried in a Bianchi Phantom shoulder holster when rifle hunting the Hill Country of Texas or a Ruger Bisley .44 Mag loaded with hard cast bullets and a healthy dose of IMR 4227 (mainly for bears and if separated from my rifle) when hunting Elk in the Jackson Hole Country of Wyoming. </div></div>

Thanks to all for the replies. I was waiting for someone to mention a .357, as that's what I carry (a Ruger GP100). My brother, who is a more experienced hunter than I am, thought that a semi auto .45 was the better choice but I argued that the GP100 with an appropriate .357 load was more than adequate. </div></div>

I bought my Colt Python on the same day that the Cowboys beat the Denver Broncos in the Super Bowl. Yeah, that was back in the late 70's. I've taken every small game that I can imagine with it along with a white-tail and that was incidental. I was in the process of field dressing a doe when another suddenly appeared. Wasn't even close to my rifle.

One round was sufficient @ 75 yards.

If I'm in bear country, I carry a Smithers 5" 629 Classic 44mag. If not, I go without to cut down on the extra weight,

Springfield 1911 loaded with 230 gr remington golden sabers.

Remsen,

I love my autos and plan to have some more but a revolver is my first choice when it comes to hunting. I tried using a .45 ACP but never liked the results on game. The penetration of a .357 delivers a more decisive kill, IMHO.

I use Alliant 2400. I think that's what they call it these days. Used to be made by Hercules. About 12.5 gr. with a 150 gr. bullet of your choice. As always....YMMV.

I carry my G22, for anything unexpected and too close to put a scoped rifle on. Or needing stopped faster than a 100gr. broad head can.

I used to carry my GP-100, but I feel much better having 13 rounds in stead of just 6 rounds.

I carry a S&W 44mag when I hunt, but thats because we're in hog country. My brother in law used to carry a .45acp. I've seen him shoot hogs within 20yds with good placement and watch them run off. He carries a .357mag now. I know some guys that have decent luck with the .45 but I haven't been one of those guys.

I now always carry a XD40 sub when hunting and fishing. I was charged by dogs three times and was shot at once just last season while fishing (dogs), duck hunting (shot at), and elk hunting (pit bull). Not to mention carrying a .357 with snake shot for the rattlers...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a bit of a debate with my brother this weekend over the subject of carrying a sidearm when deer hunting with a rifle. It got me thinking about what other people do, so here's my questions:

1. Do you carry a sidearm when hunting deer/elk/antelope/other big game with a rifle?
3. What is your preferred load in the sidearm? </div></div>

1. Yes & everywhere else, too.
2. Glock 17 or 19, depends
3. RA9TA until I break down and spend the $$ to switch to CorBon DPX

I carry a Tracker in 41 magnum, plenty of power with full loads of Lil' Gun behind some 210 remington soft points... It'll handle anything I'll encounter in my woods...

When in Brown bear country i carry a s&w modle 629 44 mountain gun. It light enough.

When i bow hunt for hogs in florida the club rules are no guns so I carry my K-bar. which makes tracking boars thru pig tunnels kind of interesting

.357 GP 100, 4" loaded with hollow points by Winchester. Been carrying it for about 15 yrs now.

I've had mixed results using a .357 on hogs.

One night after returning from town, we stumbled on some ferals and gave chase with a spotlight in my Blazer. There were 3 of them amd the Python was the only thing that I had on me. The hog I lined up on first was colored like a Hampshire with the wide white vertical stripe just behind the shoulder. I managed to get a round into him on the go and he never slowed down a bit.

Thinking that I might have missed, my wife commented that she could see a small dark spot in the middle of the stripe. We had given chase through some open pasture and ran them into a thicket. I managed to get a oouple more into him and he slowed down to where he was just standing. I got out with my headlights lined up on him to dispatch him when I heard something to my right and being blinded by my own lights, I stepped toward the noise out of the light...and it was another hog. I shot it one handed and it went down right there....dead. Had it rushed me it would have been on me before I could have responded. Dangerous close, I might add.

For hogs, the .357 is marginal. It will give you the penetration. Much better than say a .45ACP. In this instance, I was using hard cast bullets which was probably a good thing.

Oregon law specifically allows the carry of any type of weapon during archery season. A side arm while Elk hunting is a good idea, since there are so many bears in the same area. During Archery Elk/Deer season, Bear and cougar are also open, and they are General tags, not restricted to archery.

No pistol, but I travel a lot of miles while elk hunting. Just haven't found a need for a handgun that the rifle won't do and didn't want the extra weight. Nobody I hunt with carrys a pistol. I can understand carrying for hiking or even bowhunting where mean critters could try to eat you.

The only times i carry a side arm while hunting is when i backpack in i carry my Ruger Blackhawk 45LC the other one that i carry some times is a Ruger MK II for grouse. In the 45 LC i run 300 gr. hard cast bullets loaded up for the black hawk in the 22 what ever cheap stuff i have on hand.

When I go mountain biking or hiking or fishing I keep my G29 easily within reach, not only for what small chance there is of an animal attack, but more for the potential that I run into a 2 legged animal somewhere out there.

The G20 is a little big to fit in my camelbak holster, so the 29 is what I take along and it packs plenty of punch for the use it may or may not see.

When I'm deer hunting I keep my 29 with me as the CCW unless I'm pistol hunting, then I just keep the 44 mag loaded as I normally would anyway. It will do just a good of a job at personal protection as any rifle would, up close anyway.

When I bowhunt, USP. 45, when I rifle hunt, I don't carry one.

I also carry a Taurus short barrel 41 mag (adequate for the bear in Wyoming) when fishing or as a backup when elk hunting. If I where to get another, I would get a 44, 41 ammo is a pain to get right now.

I carry a Bisley Blackhawk 41 mag in an El Paso saddlery holster when I am bowhunting since we have a bunch of hogs on our property. It has come in very handy on a few occasions.

I live in a area where centerfire rifles can not be used for deer hunting. So I hunt with a muzzleloader and take either a 44mag contender pistol or a ruger 45 bisley, however the mood moves me. The plan is if the shot is going to be over 50 yards I use the muzzleloader, under 50 the handgun takes the shot.

When hunting rifle country I usually take one of my concealable handguns but not unnecessarily for hunting with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
3. What is your preferred load in the sidearm? </div></div>

2. Glock, Kahr or S&W revolver
3. Federal Hydro shocks.

At home in the midwest, I carry a G23 at a minimum because people cook meth in the woods here and they have been known to shoot at people who get too close. When I'm out west in grizzly country I carry a Tracker TI in 41 Mag.

Since Texas removed the mag-cap restrictions when hunting....if I have my AK / AR loaded up with 30's, no pistola
laugh.gif
I do carry extra mags though, lol.

If using one of my bolts, then I carry the G-19.