• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sie 77 HPBT

want to be

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2018
Bluff City TN
I am thinking of changing from Sierra 69 gn to 77 gn. I have always used 69s and had good results out to 300 yds in a stock RPR. New barrel 1x8 twist and found a fair deal on 77 gn, should I change or not, I have a good load worked up for the 69s. What do you think?

You only shoot it to 300? If so, I wouldn’t bother (but perhaps acquire anyway if a smoking deal and resell at a profit)

Mine is 25g AA2520 in a lake city case, r7-1/2 primer in a LC case. Take it to 800+ meters regularly in my mod 1.

Reactions: GhostFace
Let your rifle tell you what it likes. As another poster stated at 300 yds probably doesn't matter nor do you need the higher bc with the heavier bullets.

Hey Old Mountian Man, That's me just in Tenn. I was just thinking there are a few times when I get the chance to shoot a little farther and may want the bragging rights from family members when they say you're too old to cut the mustard. I think I pick up those 77s.

Reactions: DIBBS
Hey Old Mountian Man, That's me just in Tenn. I was just thinking there are a few times when I get the chance to shoot a little farther and may want the bragging rights from family members when they say you're too old to cut the mustard. I think I pick up those 77s.
You’re only too old when you’re dead. Pick them up and let them fly.

Last edited:
One can never have too many components................... Period

Would you talk to the other half? She doesn't believe me. :D

Just explain to her that the U S dollar is losing value daily.........." It's a safe haven for our money .........honey "

• Love
If you can get 8208XBR, figure how to load 23.3 grains of it in your .223 case and cap it with a 77 at 2.25 inches you won't have to care from point blank to 600 and beyond.

If you can get 8208XBR, figure how to load 23.3 grains of it in your .223 case and cap it with a 77 at 2.25 inches you won't have to care from point blank to 600 and beyond.

Too warm for a gas gun?????? Haven't looked at data.......say in a win. case , Fed 205 mar or win srp........your thoughts please

Too warm for a gas gun?????? Haven't looked at data.......say in a win. case , Fed 205 mar or win srp........your thoughts please
every gun is different and load work ups reveal what’s too hot or not.

Also, why is one question mark not sufficient?

every gun is different and load work ups reveal what’s too hot or not.

Also, why is one question mark not sufficient?
I'm aware of that ,not my first rodeo,been doing this for over 40 yrs. As I stated ,I hadn't looked at data ,had no idea if it was middle charge or max .Now ,having a look see at the Hodgdon 2016 annual manual 23.2 is their max at a listed 55,000 psi . I would never take a load off the internet and load it up on someone's word ,nor start at a max published in a loading book.

I was asking his opinion

Concerning the ? marks......why do you ask? Does it bother you? If so , it's way more things going on in this world to get bothered by.Have a nice day

I'm aware of that ,not my first rodeo,been doing this for over 40 yrs. As I stated ,I hadn't looked at data ,had no idea if it was middle charge or max .Now ,having a look see at the Hodgdon 2016 annual manual 23.2 is their max at a listed 55,000 psi . I would never take a load off the internet and load it up on someone's word ,nor start at a max published in a loading book.

I was asking his opinion

Concerning the ? marks......why do you ask? Does it bother you? If so , it's way more things going on in this world to get bothered by.Have a nice day
Doesn’t bother me; just makes me wonder if the writer is having a conniption fit or something.

Glad to see you’re back to using only one question mark. Enjoy your day.

buy em and try em. Do you need 77s for 300y? Probably not. Are they a great bullet? yes. So is the 69,

Looks like 23.2 for me this is in the bolt 700.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

I choot them out o' my LMT with 20" barrel too.

Others like 23.3 but I stay safe with 23.2 and diligent mask wearing.

Reactions: NH4X and DIBBS