• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sierra 168 MK Crimp Question

SmithM21

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2020
I am planning to load some Sierra 168 Match King bullets. Should I perform a crimp? I will be shooting these reloads from 3 Mag fed rifles and a belt fed rifle.

I have a Lee Crimp Die and I also have a Redding Taper Crimp Die that came with my Redding 308 3 Die Set. I am thinking a slite taper crimp using my Redding Crimp Die would be best if I do do a crimp.

Your thoughts and suggestions will greatly be appreciated.

Dane

To add to what Spife said, if using some of the reloads in a bolt action rifle for accurate loads... no crimp

If it’s going in a belt fed and not anything precisions I would crimp
The belt fed is an OOW M240 and they are known for sub MOA at a 100 yards with Match Ammunition. I am getting 1" groups at 100 yards with Federal M80 ammunition. I do plan to acquire some 178s in the very near future. Right now my powder of choice is IMR 4895, 8 lbs. I do plan to purchase a few other powders for my future 168s & 178s.