• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sierra 223 kbullet difference

PeterN

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2011
Charleston, SC
I finished a 500 box of 77gr MK and started on a new box. The new lot is 002 shorter in OAL and almost .002 shorter base to ogive. The weights are all the same. I have not tested accuracy yet. Has anyone else seen this kind of dimension difference between lots of Match Kings?

Re: Sierra 223 kbullet difference

Peter,

When the difference exceeds 0.020", you've got room to bitch.

Have fun,
DocB

.002 isn't bad. I'd be happy if that was all i got out of 500

I've seen way bigger differences in OAL in the same box of 100. I think its mainly in the meplat, but its one of the reasons I haven't spent the time to develop a load with SMKs. I may try again someday.

I just measured 1,000 168 SMKs (.308) by base to ogive with a Sinclair sorting tool. I sorted them all into groups of .001 and here is what I got:

140893822.jpg

Oldtex,

I bet if you shot those sorted bullets at 600yds you couldn't tell the difference in POI.
smile.gif

Would be interesting to see though.

I get more reduction in vertical by uniforming the tips than by weight or length sorting...No idea why.

Peace

They change lot to lot. As long as they fall in a certain range overall they pass QA. Don't worry about it shoot them.