• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sierra .308 175 GR. HPBT Gameking Performance

perdurabo

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2014
Texas
Anyone have any practical field reports in .308 for for the .30 cal 175gr HPBT Gameking bullet that's supposed to be dimensionally identical to the 175SMK but somehow has better expansion and terminal performance? I'm looking for a high performance African plains game .308 bullet and think this might be a good contender vs the Nosler 168 Accubond, Hornady 175 ELD-X and the 175 Barnes LRX. I already have experience loading the 175SMK and if this bullet shoots identically to it, it could be a good shooter, but the actual terminal performance and expansion out to 300y @ 2600-2700 MV will be the most critical factor for me.

Even if it does not expand, it is a pretty long bullet and will likely tumble and yaw on heavy african game

Barnes TSX/LRX/TTSX bullets are even longer then the Sierra Game/Matchking bullets and don't generally tumble and yaw... why would the new gamekings in particular perform that way?

IMG_1001.jpeg
New game king on the left, regular SMK on the right. Externally the only difference I could spot is the hp on the new game king is more uniform and slightly larger diameter. People have been taking small diameter drills to the smk for years, looks similar to that. I only shot them on paper at 100 yards and they shoot just the same as the smk load the rifle is zeroed for.

Barnes TSX/LRX/TTSX bullets are even longer then the Sierra Game/Matchking bullets and don't generally tumble and yaw... why would the new gamekings in particular perform that way?
Nothing to do with length on these. When the smk yaws in the target it is because the nose becomes deformed in a not uniform way i.e. it bends at the point where there is no lead causing it to tumble or veer off course. I have seen them cause incredible damage on deer and pronghorn and I have seen them pencil through on broadside shots.
I think the idea behind these new game kings is get fluid/material in the hp to cause rapid expansion. Likely would not be suitable for body shots on anything larger than a big deer. Just my 2 shillings.