• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sierra 5 for 22 LR?

Steel+Killer

Killing one steel plate at a time!
Minuteman
  • May 27, 2014
    32.75259713494653, -79.87485679548313
    I just got a DA Sierra 5 is there any reason I couldn't use it on a 22 LR besides it would be difficult to clean. Do all dedicated rimfire cans come apart for cleaning? Seems like if it can handle 5.56 why couldn't you shoot 22 LR?

You wouldn’t want to shoot 22 LR through a non serviceable can due the lead build up from 22 LR. You will not be able to clean it even with ultrasonic equipment and chemicals. I would suggest a light aluminum take down dedicated for 22 lr.
    Forgive my ignorance I am kind of new to suppressors, but why does the lead build up more with rimfire is it because of shooting non plated lead bullets? If so if you were to shoot copper plated bullets would that solve the problem?

Forgive my ignorance I am kind of new to suppressors, but why does the lead build up more with rimfire is it because of shooting non plated lead bullets? If so if you were to shoot copper plated bullets would that solve the problem?
    It may help but rimfire ammo in general just tends to be "dirty". Lead aside, Carbon build up with them is high. Definitely need a can that is user serviceable. This is why most .22 cans have threaded body portions / sleeves that allow you to easily remove the baffle stack.

I have a dedicated 22LR can (and a Sierra 5 in timeout) and after cleaning the 22LR dedicated can after only 100 rounds, there's no way I'd ever shoot that stuff through the Sierra. Plus the 22LR can is less than half the weight in it's full configuration and it's laugh out loud quiet.

I could see you getting away with it with something like the Huxwrx Flow 5.56 since that you can soak and shoot out. Probably still not ideal. If it were 100% titanium, you could drop it in CLR, in an ultrasonic cleaner, then shoot it out. That would probably work really well. But you're still in the minus column where weight is concerned.

if you were to shoot copper plated bullets would that solve the problem?
    Not really. They do make "clean" 22 ammo but that means cleaner, not actually clean.

22 ammo is just plain old dirty. All that lead and carbon just cakes and sticks on everything. There are a lot of cleaning solutions that handle it somewhat good but it's definitely not worth it.

Would it work? Absolutely yes. The actual results though would most likely be that you would have to send your can back to the manufacturer for service less than a thousand rounds in. Either that or you would spend about a literal week trying to clean it out yourself.

Reactions: Steel+Killer
    Not really. They do make "clean" 22 ammo but that means cleaner, not actually clean.

22 ammo is just plain old dirty. All that lead and carbon just cakes and sticks on everything. There are a lot of cleaning solutions that handle it somewhat good but it's definitely not worth it.

Would it work? Absolutely yes. The actual results though would most likely be that you would have to send your can back to the manufacturer for service less than a thousand rounds in. Either that or you would spend about a literal week trying to clean it out yourself.
    Thanks to all that have responded so it definitely doesn't sound worth it I will just bite the bullet and get a dedicated rimfire can down the road.

I haven't shot rimfire much in the past ten years was wanting to get back into it especially suppressed I didn't realize rimfire shot so much dirtier that you have to have a special can for it.

Get a dedicated rimfire can. Plus having a full size can on a rimfire means you have to deal with the size and weight. Rimfire can on a .22 pistol is some of the best fun you can have.

Reactions: Steel+Killer