• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sierra Game Kings?

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I was going through some bullets I have and noticed a box of 165gr Sierra GameKings. I know these are hunting bullets, but how does their accuracy compare to the MatchKing bullets?
I don't hunt so I hate to think these will wasted.
If I work up a load for them and get some 168gr or 175gr MatchKings later will the groups be that much better? Or are these going to be more in the line of plinking bullets?

Jim

Re: Sierra Game Kings?

The accuracy is excellent if you ask me.
While I have not done any long range work with them, they fly as good as 168smk and 175smk at short range.

Another nice thing about them is they can be seated to the lands and still maintain a shorter OAL than the 168/175.
This means that you can probably seat to the lands in a long-throated chamber and probably still mag-feed them.... where the 168/175 load might not fit the mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The accuracy is excellent if you ask me.</div></div>
+1 I have not tested these long range, but they shoot great 300 and in. I have several customers that swear by these bullets, and nothing else. Good penetration, hold together well, and good accuracy. Not bad for a cup and core bullet!

They are very accurate for a hunting bullet. Myself, though, I would probably not go through so much time and expense to work up a load, and then change bullets. I would try to pick the bullet you think will be the best for you, and then concentrate on that one. You can always sell the gamekings if they are not your ultimate solution. Shoot a few and see. Just opinions.
John

i shoot the sierra #2140's, and have found them to be quite accurate in my 30-06. havent checked them at long distances though.-cam

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weda'</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is basically the same bullet as the matchking.

One has no lead exposed the other does. The rest of the bullet is the same. </div></div>

These have a really wicked looking hollow point.

Jim

BC for the 165 gameking is .363 where the 168 SMK is .462. Down range it will suffer compared to the SMK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weda'</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is basically the same bullet as the matchking.

One has no lead exposed the other does. The rest of the bullet is the same. </div></div>

These have a really wicked looking hollow point.

Jim </div></div>

Kinda looks like a + ...
I thought the gamekings had the lead tip... anywho....

yeah I hammered a few PA whitetails with the 165's. Bang flop, really.

Had the same results with a SMK too. Internally pretty much the same bullet.

That bullet is a Game King HPBT 165gr. They are VERY accurate out of an old Ruger .30-06 of mine. Although I haven't shot em over 300 yds.,for accuracy, I did shoot a doe@450yds. with them once. But basically they are the same bullet as a SMK and fly almost as accurately in my experience. Not to mention they are DEVASTATING on deer.

That bullet is a Game King HPBT 165gr. They are VERY accurate out of an old Ruger .30-06 of mine. Although I haven't shot em over 300 yds.,for accuracy, I did shoot a doe@450yds. with them once. But basically they are the same bullet as a SMK and fly almost as accurately in my experience. Not to mention they are DEVASTATING on deer.

I agree with the above. I have used SMK's on deer when I had a 22-250, one shot kills are common. I have tried the GK's but only short range as well. Good potential just never worked with them that much. I always favored the MK's.

We shoot them in the 308, 30-06, and a 300WSM and are one of the most accurate hunting bullets I've seen 2nd only to the 165 AccuBond in the 300WSM. I use the same load less .2 gr powder that I use for the 168 SMK's in the 308 and the accuracy is uncanny for a hunting bullet. If you are already shooting the 168's give them a try. As stated the BC isn't that high so as far as long distance no they won't hold up.