• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Sierra Matchking meplat trimming

tymurrey

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2009
Wilton, North Dakota
Not sure if this is the right area to post this but here we go. My question is if you trim the meplat on the 175gr matchking back a little and open up the hollow point would they work better for hunting and if so would the b.c. drop of dramatically. I'm not thinking of taking to much off but just uniforming and opening up a little. I currently use AMAX's for target shooting and hunting but hate the red tip. I would like to go back to sierras but have heard to many horror stories about hunting with them to make me feel confident. Anybody with any experience with the meplat trimmers have any info on them and how they work would be great. I only hunt antelope and whitetails. Would like to hear what people would think on the increase on expansion vs loss of b.c. Thanks for any help on what could be a stupid question.

Re: Sierra Matchking meplat trimming

one meplat trims to gain consistency

many have done it to their advantage gaining more consistent groups out long , .....but must add typically an MOA or a tad more at 1000yd

but me thinks a meplated 175 will just punch though unless it hits a bone, then it will peal off the jacket into very small shards and then bullet weight retention goes south badly , thats been my take on target bullets so far on game....not a good choice, but as always ....its shot placement.

Meplat trimming: lower BC more consistent BC

Meplat pointing: higher BC more consistent BC

@ murrdogg, i live in SD and have shot antelope, whitetail, mule, and elk all with my SMK 175gr HPBT, have not had any run further than 100M. i don't use a meplat trimmer, and don't think it would matter on game hunting, as boltripper stated "mainly for consistency"
@ mitchalsup, do you use a trimmer and a pointer if so could you elaborate?

A difference? Most likely. A major difference? Less likely.

Thanks for your thoughts on this, I could live with a drop of 1 or 2 moa and i'd still be better off than using sierras 165 HPBT. I'll probably just stick with the Amax's since i've had no trouble with them yet, busted through both front shoulders of my antelope last year at 250yds. I am still alittle curious on how much you could trim back the hollow point on the matchkings and what the corresponding loss in b.c. would be and where the benefit vs loss would equal out.

The high masters in F class and national F class team guys that I shoot with point there bullets looking for that small advantage ( running 284s changing barrels every 900 + rounds). They get bent when the shoot 196 at a 1000 yds and low x count.
Some say 1 min improvement at 1000 yds for the cal they shoot, I belive the improvement to be less in .308 than some of the smaller cals.

That not the shooting I am interested in in the first place, if I could call the wind better at 1000 it would would be more of a benifit.