• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig 10k DOF sent to Kestrel??

jrsandiego12

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2020
San Diego, CA
Again - Used Kestrel for year, then moved mostly to the 10k for solutions. BUT, have been working with Target Card and DOF / Wind to get more precise wind estimates for each target across a field of fire.

When I link the the 10ks to Kestrel - when I range "target A" - the Kestrel receives the range and shoot angle - but not the DOF?? I could swear earlier this year my Kestrel was also receiving the DOF from the 10k - but maybe it doesn't?

Anyone know for sure?

I didn't know it was supposed to, I've been manually shooting an azimuth with the kestrel. Maybe there's a setting in the Binos or Kestrel. I'll have to play next time I'm out.

Either way please report back what you hear

Last edited:
The Vortex Fury send the DOF, or so says my buddy that uses them.

I'm now suspecting that the 10ks don't because even with the Kestrel and 10k compass calibrated in the same location and time, their bearings/dof usually don't read the same.

So if you were to get Dof from the binos, but wind direction from the kestrel, there could be a significant error in your hold calc. So probably better to just use kestrel to set both so the relative wind direction to target is more accurate.

The Vortex Fury send the DOF, or so says my buddy that uses them.

I'm now suspecting that the 10ks don't because even with the Kestrel and 10k compass calibrated in the same location and time, their bearings/dof usually don't read the same.

So if you were to get Dof from the binos, but wind direction from the kestrel, there could be a significant error in your hold calc. So probably better to just use kestrel to set both so the relative wind direction to target is more accurate.
I've never compared the DOF from one to the other. I'll have to check that out next time also. It would be much easier to use binos for DOF also

The compass on the 10k and Kestrel are not perfectly accurate - similar to watch compasses. They need to be calibrated often. I've tested using two 10ks in a team setting to better walk a partner onto targets. Even when both binos are calibrated to "best" compass, their readings between the two are just off in a primary direction, and as we tested in circle of views, the discrepancy became bigger. Same think between the 10ks and the Kestrel. Or 10k and a watch, or two watches with the compass feature, etc.

Here is something fun too - if you wear ear muff style ear pro with sound (speakers) the magnets in the speakers throw off the compass as well. So if you wear foamies and your buddy headphones, your compasses will read different. :)

The binos are great but I like to use Target Card for wind calcs across multiple targets is they are at different azimuths
If you want to see a feature added or improved it is always a good idea to send an email through the customer support system of that products company. This allows user tickets to be generated so they can track popularity and requests.

Reactions: Taylorbok
I don't necessarily want the feature added, I suspect a target card inside the binos would be very difficult to display. Altho the 10k binos do ship with the basic wind meter.

The feature I would LOVE added would to be able to update the ballistic profile MV without having to use the phone.

I don't necessarily want the feature added, I suspect a target card inside the binos would be very difficult to display. Altho the 10k binos do ship with the basic wind meter.
You would add the target card to the app for the binos. Along with a range card that could be printed. If you were to submit a suggestion. ;)

The feature I would LOVE added would to be able to update the ballistic profile MV without having to use the phone.
Send in a request, the worst that can happen is they table it.

https://kestrelballistics.com/compare-laser-range-finders

This chart is hard to find. You can see the Sig products DO NOT send DoF to the Kestrel.

I did a bit of a write up here on the DoF subject.

Reactions: giumau1
Timely post, I just picked up Fury AB to get DOF pushed to the kestrel 5700 elite X and I am having an issue with the DOF being very different between both units. I was on the support line with Vortex for a hour today and they suggested I go to a field and try... I will try tomorrow but I don't think this will help. Also, I've calibrated both units multiple times.

The issue I am having is the Fury does send the DOF to the kestrel, but when I use the Kestrel to get the wind speed and direction it is not correct compared to what the Fury is pushing. For instance, if I range a target with the Fury and it pushes it to the Kestrel and it says 10 degrees (just choosing a number here to illustrate). If i overwrite it with the capture button on the Kestrel it is around 40 degrees off. If I leave it as is (Fury value) and do a wind capture, because the Kestrel is using its own (different) azimuth value, it leads to an incorrect wind call due to the difference between the Kestrel and Fury DOF and it pushes this solution to the Fury binos.

I was really hoping to use the DOF from the Fury to build better range card for targets 1000 yards+ because I found it difficult to use the kestrel to capture DOF accurately.

Timely post, I just picked up Fury AB to get DOF pushed to the kestrel 5700 elite X and I am having an issue with the DOF being very different between both units. I was on the support line with Vortex for a hour today and they suggested I go to a field and try... I will try tomorrow but I don't think this will help. Also, I've calibrated both units multiple times.

The issue I am having is the Fury does send the DOF to the kestrel, but when I use the Kestrel to get the wind speed and direction it is not correct compared to what the Fury is pushing. For instance, if I range a target with the Fury and it pushes it to the Kestrel and it says 10 degrees (just choosing a number here to illustrate). If i overwrite it with the capture button on the Kestrel it is around 40 degrees off. If I leave it as is (Fury value) and do a wind capture, because the Kestrel is using its own (different) azimuth value, it leads to an incorrect wind call due to the difference between the Kestrel and Fury DOF and it pushes this solution to the Fury binos.

I was really hoping to use the DOF from the Fury to build better range card for targets 1000 yards+ because I found it difficult to use the kestrel to capture DOF accurately.

Electronic hearing protection, watches, wedding rings, and more can all effect the accuracy of the compass.