• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig 522 Rifle - Who has one?

JG26_Irish

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2013
Morehead, KY
Hi guys. I was in my local big box store the other day and was passing the sporting goods dept as a fellow asked to see a Sig 522. I saw it and assumed it was the Sig 556 until he mentioned that it was a 22. I stopped and asked to see it. For a semi-auto 22lr, this is a seriously nice looking piece. Sig has a good rep, so my question to all of you is this: Who owns or has had range time on a Sig 522? and how accurate are they?

I read one review from American Rifleman that claimed 50yd bench rest accuracy of between 1.3" to 2.6" with various non-match grade ammo and the red dot sight. That is still pretty poor IMHO. However, comments in that same review from owners claimed 1" groups at 100yds, with a scope which is significantly better. I am just looking for some real world accuracy data to define what this little rifle is capable of. I do not currently own a 22lr semi auto but might want to get one and this one has all the right bells and whistles if it can also shoot at least as good as a out of the box 10/22. Comments please.

Irish

I love the 522 because its the only 22 semi ive shot that will eat any and all 22 ammo you throw at it.

I owned one for a while and sold it to fund other rifles. It is a good rifle, accuracy on par with a box stock 10/22 and it will eat pretty much any ammo you throw at it. The only negative thing I have to say about the 522 is that the trigger is pretty bad. Heavy and mushy.

ive had a lot fo the different 22 tacticools. the sig 522 ended up being a household favorite. shoots good enough accuracy wise and feeds everything. if you can get one in the 4's its a solid 22 for fun. We also had one of the s&w mp22's. it was also good running and had easier mags. But the 522 was just cooler.

I love everything about this riffle. Will shoot 1" 5shot with mini mag @ 100yd.. little modfy here n there
lastsave966.jpg

I like mine. I don't shot groups with it but it is still pretty dang accurate.

Plus it uses cheap mags. Blackdog machine ones work great for me and were like 10 bucks when I got them

Mine shoots more like 1" @ 50 with Blazer and a 3-15 scope. Probably 3/4" with SK and center-X. I got a few sub .5's but certainly wouldn't call it average. I only shot it with a scope for groups once just to see what it could do.
It kept up just fine with the last stock 10/22 I shot.

There's an easy fix to lighten the trigger with a modified AR15 trigger spring.

I'm going to have to dust mine off and use it. I'm sick of looking for brass after shooting drills.

hey komishe, post a link or some info on that trigger fix. like to lighten mine up. tia.:cool:

Mine shoots more like 1" @ 50 with Blazer and a 3-15 scope. Probably 3/4" with SK and center-X. I got a few sub .5's but certainly wouldn't call it average. I only shot it with a scope for groups once just to see what it could do.
It kept up just fine with the last stock 10/22 I shot.

There's an easy fix to lighten the trigger with a modified AR15 trigger spring.

I'm going to have to dust mine off and use it. I'm sick of looking for brass after shooting drills.

Thanks to all who posted actual data on 522 accuracy. Komishe posted that his was capable of about 3/4" groups at 50yds with SK or Center-X ammo. That is interesting. Several posted that it will feed any ammo. So, please confirm the Sig 522 can feed std velocity target match ammo, correct? I would give it a big plus for that alone. This little rifle is beginning to sound more attractive.

Irish

Irish I honestly can't remember how reliably it fed those standard velocity rounds. It was so long ago and I shot so few that I can't claim it loved them.....there may have been a few FTFeed
I did have some ancient remington subsonics that worked good.

Mine tends to prefer the higher velocity offerings of the many 22lr manufacturers.
I tried some remington gold tipped ones in the bulk value pack and it was jam-o-matic. I get jams every now and then with the blazer as well.
The white box remington high velocities in the 325rnd bulk packs are the ones I prefer in mine for reliable feeding.

There was a guy that made Lothar-Walther match barrels but everything I tried to google turned up dead-ends. I don't know if he still makes them or not.

I just use mine for good semi-accurate fun. Gave up the idea of making it a SASSS(semi-automatic squrrel sniping system) long ago and just have fun with it shooting offhand.
It's the best feel of the 22lr clones in my opinion. I'd look into the S&W15/22 with the factory target barrel or a nice dedicated ar15 upper if you're looking to drive some tacks.

I have a 522 and have never had a problem with any ammo. Its a great rifle. Accuracy... When I shot it a bunch, I couldn't get it to shoot 1" groups at 100 yards but I have fired a lot of rounds since and improved myself, so it may very well be able to do that. If you can get it for a good buy, id go for it.