• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sig 522 what do you think now?

Muskett

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2009
South England Great Britain
A good few of you have been running the new Sig 522's now for the last few months. So what do you think of them now you have had one for a while?

Love to know what is the best accuracy that you have been able to achieve. Does the heavy barrel give more accuracy? Anything else you want to add.

Re: Sig 522 what do you think now?

This was just featured in American Rifleman. It was a pretty good article leaving me definitely wanting to get my hands on one. I'm a heavy barrel guy myself. They featured the Remington 597 VTR too, which is another gorgeous rifle. The 597 was a tad more accurate they said, but damn the 522 is sweet. Maybe I'll just flip a coin!

Mine has just the 16" barrel. Ive run about 1100 rounds of cheap walmart grade Federal 36gr, some Winchester Wildcat 40 gr (about 200 rounds) and 300+ rounds of Winchester 36 gr. No real 'groups' to produce, as I only had a red dot on it.

I've since slapped a Bushnell 6-24 with mildot reticule in a SSALT mount on it. No groups yet. I'll be venturing out again after Christmas though. I can say that spent shotgun shells, coke cans and golfballs are a tremendous amount of fun to chase at 100 yards though.

And all the guys with the 10/22s think its cool as hell.
grin.gif

Picture1046Large.jpg

All its missing is the 22" barrel. Which I will buy when it becomes available for purchase individually.

By the way, the cheek (aka, chin) weld is shit if you're running an optic on it. Least in my opinion.

It looks like some low-med rings would treat you better than the SSALT on this platform. Is it monolithic?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooterman017</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine has just the 16" barrel. Ive run about 1100 rounds of cheap walmart grade Federal 36gr, some Winchester Wildcat 40 gr (about 200 rounds) and 300+ rounds of Winchester 36 gr. No real 'groups' to produce, as I only had a red dot on it.

I've since slapped a Bushnell 6-24 with mildot reticule in a SSALT mount on it. No groups yet. I'll be venturing out again after Christmas though. I can say that spent shotgun shells, coke cans and golfballs are a tremendous amount of fun to chase at 100 yards though.

And all the guys with the 10/22s think its cool as hell.
grin.gif

Picture1046Large.jpg

All its missing is the 22" barrel. Which I will buy when it becomes available for purchase individually.

By the way, the cheek (aka, chin) weld is shit if you're running an optic on it. Least in my opinion. </div></div>

Your cheek weld is off due to the fact that the SALT mount is for a flat top AR which does not have the stock vertical off set of the Sig. I run Burris Ext. Tac. rings in medium height with a SS 6x, which is a 30mm tube and 42mm objective with Butler Creek caps and it just fits. This setup has a cheek weld like my AR with a SALT mount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oodin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it monolithic? </div></div>
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Yes</span> Wait, the mount or the 12oclock rail? Because the rail is not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Heltsley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run Burris Ext. Tac. rings in medium height with a SS 6x, which is a 30mm tube and 42mm objective with Butler Creek caps and it just fits. This setup has a cheek weld like my AR with a SALT mount. </div></div>

I had an offbrand set of stupid high rings. When I first tried those it felt about the same. There wasnt much change in objective clearance either.

I may need to try something like what youve subscribed to. Are you running the 16 or 22" barrel??

I am running all 16" barrels. I have about a mm clearance with the 42mm obj and the Butler Creek caps. Mine also has the swat rail.

The Burris Ext. Tac Med Rings set the scope 1/2 inch off the rail and the Burris PEPR witch is close to your mount has 1 inch of clearance. If you can loose 1/2 inch than I would think about giving them a try.

The total external measurement of my scope and cap is 53.5mm.

I realy like my Sig 522 and would not traid it for any other 22 caliber trainer.

I have a red dot on mine as well, no groups. I will say, it is my most reliable .22 semi-auto. Hasn't jammed yet using Federal bulk, great little gun.
smile.gif

I know these are fun guns but will everyone stop playing, or is that spraying, around and do some accuracy testing
crazy.gif
laugh.gif

I know they shoot fine but anyone got them to tack drive? Has anyone got round to feeding them some quality fodder? Or for that matter such crud that anything else would just jam. Anyone use subsonics? Anyone bought the add on lasers and lights; fitted a moderator?

Don't be shy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muskett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know these are fun guns but will everyone stop playing, or is that spraying, around and do some accuracy testing
crazy.gif
laugh.gif

I know they shoot fine but anyone got them to tack drive? Has anyone got round to feeding them some quality fodder? Or for that matter such crud that anything else would just jam. Anyone use subsonics? Anyone bought the add on lasers and lights; fitted a moderator?

Don't be shy! </div></div>

From my experience behind the trigger of semi-auto .22s, don't expect anything too fantastic as the average rifle sports a bit of a longish chamber; this is done so many types of .22 rimfire can reliably chamber. You can generally send in barrels of .22 semi-guns to machinists who will shave off a tiny bit where the boltface mates to the barrel, and mill out a tiny fraction where the rim of the cartridge sits. This helps chamber rounds a little closer to the rifling which dramatically increases accuracy but at a (very small) cost of reliability with some longer shells.

have at least 5k thru mine. 16" barrel. Do most of my shooting at an indoor range with 25yard max. can consistantly put them thru the same hole. Havent tried any real distance yet. Will shoot anything from the dirty remington bulk to the federal match with now problems.

Having been a ex 25m .22lr precision shot I always consider the 25m indoor range the benchmark for .22lr's. Sure your Anschutz target rifles can do bullet on bullet but best semi's seem only to be able to achieve very tight big hole clusters; my last 10/22 T. A average semi result is a touching cluster; my Erma M1 carbine does this. Poor semi's are open clusters where not every round touches each other. 50m on an open range even with best rifles really opens things up with wind doing its worst; so those that test at 50m are doing well to get everything in a 1/2 inch or more often a wide open clusters (good inch). 100m is really lobbing them in.

Great input, so thanks as it was exactly what I am fishing for. It seems to me the Sig on reliability rocks which is why I'm buying into the system. However, accuracy wise its had mixed reviews which is what I want to get to the bottom of.

I shoot at some targets we printed off. They are stick figures with round heads in windows. The heads are dots just bigger than a 22 hole. I can go from one to the next and hit 9 out of 10 on the first shot, and get the last one on the second shot. This is at 25 yds. I recently switched to a red dot, but cant do better than 10 rounds touching, so I am going back to a scope.

I tried my damndest to get groups out of the 16 inch barrel with bulk federal at 100yds today and at best i was getting was 5 inches edge to edge. there was a healthy 20 mph gusting wind to fight with though. I will give it another shot when the opportunity presents itself.

Was able to purchase an unfired, brand new 20" barrel and just got it installed about 5 minutes ago. It will be sent off for threading when the time for a can comes. The SSALT mount allows for the lowest possible mounting of this optic while still being able to keep Magpul MBUS irons folded down. If I want to shoot paper at 5 yards or 25 yards, I can just remove the mount/optic and pop up the irons now.

As a word of caution for anyone looking to change a barrel on these 522s after (in my case 5 almost 6 months) alot of shooting, you will have a struggle on your hands getting the barrel nut off.

Picture1052Large.jpg

Picture1054Large.jpg

Can't wait to hear your results shooterman! I know where I can get a 16" for a decent price but have been waiting to hear some results.

I haven't seen any with that quad rail. Where did you get that? - nevermind swat model!!
Where did you find your 20" barrel?

Thanks

Dantrom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dantrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where did you find your 20" barrel?</div></div>

I scored it off a member of the sigforum for $85. Its the second one I've seen posted up there since October (mind you I wasn't checking religiously either...)

They are offered in a 'Combo' now as well. I got mine back in late August if memory serves, so it was before the 2 barrel deal was offered.

I've been relatively hindered by an injury from work, so I can hardly hobble around correctly, let alone shoot right.
mad.gif
As soon as I can walk/prone correctly (which shouldn't be THAT much longer
grin.gif
), and after I get the MOE/buffer tube setup installed (next weekend), I'll grab some higher quality 22 varieties and will be out to the local range.

After I get the new CZ trainer project up and running in a few months, I'm considering a Millett DMS 1-4x24 in a SSALT or Burris PEPR mount to compliment the 16" barrel.

I have the 16 in swat version with a red dot and mostly shoot indoor at 25 yards as was mentioned by someone in another post. I feed it mostly CCI and it takes every bit. couple thousand rounds without a hiccup. Sorry no accuracy info, just getting into that end of things since I joined here
smile.gif

So I made a venture out to 100 yards. It was pretty breezy. Quartering to full value wind. From about 5 to 10 mph.

Ammo used:
s7_214956_007_01.jpg

First: intended point of impact, 1" orange dot.
Picture1071Large.jpg

Second: intended point of impact, again 1" orange dot.
Picture1070Large.jpg

Third: Gave a friend of mine 10 rounds, told him see what happens...intended point of impact, center of the 3" orange target.
Picture1072Large.jpg

Last: Split the last 5 rounds with another buddy...my intended point of impact, center of the 3" dot. His are the 5 on the righthand side of that target. The barrel was absolutely filthy and I think it showed here.
Picture1073Large.jpg

Conditions & Range: All shots were taken from a prone position (bipod, no rear rest) at 100 yards. Temps ranged between around 68 degrees to around 75 degrees. Winds were less than before, anywhere from calm to full value 5 mph.

Ammo used for this group:
s7_214956_007_01.jpg

The group: Point of aim was the center of the 1" dot for 5 shots. This is a 3 round group. The 2 first rounds are to the right, as the zero was made for a wind blowing left to right on the previous trip I made. I corrected, and held center on the orange dot for the last 3 rounds. This was some of the first rounds I fired through the rifle, and it was not fouled yet. I am pretty sure this is close to the maximum performance I will be able to wring out of this ammo/rifle combination. I will revisit this at a later time. For now, I am content with this result.

Picture1074Large.jpg

Ammo used for this group:
remington_RE22CXbox.jpg

The group: My point of aim was for the 12 o'clock position on the target, so I could more easily observe the impacts. Picking dark .22 holes out of a black paper target is a pain. This was at the end of the strings from the Sig, and I wanted to save some ammo for the other rifle I brought with me. The barrel was fouled with about 50 rounds at this point and after this group, I stopped shooting, as I figured accuracy would only degrade after this point (as it has before in my experience.) I'm sure this ammo is capable of shooting the same as what was used in the image prior. Next time I go, I will use this ammo exclusively through the Sig so I can get a true idea of what this ammo/rifle combination is capable of. I am content with this result as well, but far from done with testing it.

Picture1076Large.jpg