• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig 551 rebarreling

gamma

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2009
I know very little about semi autos, just wondering could one rebarrel a 551 with any custom barrel or would you need the actual factory barrel. I know the original barrel has all sorts of exterior contours on it but would a custom barrel do it.

Re: Sig 551 rebarreling

You can re-barrel just about any weapon, but the question really is how much will it cost. What are your groups and/or is the barrel pitted?

Its not actually mine its a customers rifle. He just want something a bit longer. The only thing I need to know is, is there any difference in a barrel on a semi auto and a standard bolt action barrel, poting etc.

Unfortunately thats not really an option for me as Im not based in the USA and obtaining components such as this would be vertually impossible. A custom barrel is my only option and assuming its just a matter of chamber and fit, this is the way I must go.

Dang I would assume it would be easier for you to get a 551 barrel than it would be for us here...cant you just hop a train under the chunnel and get one in Europe LOL.

I assume there must be some sort of import restrictions that make it not that easy?

Just specifying that I'm not a gunsmith but I was a machinist. Having said that and looking at the barrel I would say one could be turned down esp if you have the take off to use as a sample. Only area I would suggest looking at before attempting would be the gas block mating area to see if its ground or turned.