• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig 556 or colt ?

jamessparrow

Private
Minuteman
May 8, 2008
Gastonia, NC
prices on the Sig 556 patrol 995.00. Should i plunge into one or stick with colt 6920 1250.00 pros and cons, any advice on the Sig would be helpful. Thanks

Re: Sig 556 or colt ?

I have both, and each one has it's pros and cons. Depends on your intended use. Both have the M-16 mag compatibility. What are your plans with either?

I have both and while I have a SIG 556 that has been trouble free it is only accurate with 52 grain SMK's (1.5-2")despite the 1:7 twist. All other weights up to 77 grain SMK's groups 3-4" depending on bullet weight. The 6920 will shoot on average 1.25-1.5 inches with almost any bullet weight and is the on I much prefer.

I have both, I use the colt in "across the course" competition because it is more accurate at longer range but use the sig in three gun matches because it is uber reliable and accurate enough for that.

Biggest drawback on the sig is the weight, accuracy isn't so good either but, very smooth function and reliable.
If they chopped a lb off of the front end it would be a great rifle for combat or 3 gun type shooting.

I have a couple of both series and have found that on my Sig I swapped out buttstocks for a Magpul UBR . This shifted the weight off the forend and made a lot more balanced platform. Plus the Sig's are damn near bombproof. If you are sold on the 6520 system contact me I sell these for about 200.00 less than what you are looking at.

I have a colt, can't speak for the sig, but its pretty much the same rifle I had in the Marines with out the selective fire. It has shot everything I put in it including the cheap Russian ammo.

I recently took the plunge and bought a Sig 556 Classic. It really seems like it is just a cross between an AK and AR platform. I heard a lot about it's reliability; however, on my first trip to the range I had four malfunctions using 20 round pmags.

The first was a failure to feed with standard 55gr Lake City ammo. It seemed to me that the Sig tries to solve timing issues with just brute force. The bolt speed seems really fast, and empties fly ridiculously far.

I then ran 77gr Black Hills ammo through it and had three failures to eject. In all malfunctions it chewed the brass up something fierce.

My accuracy with both types of ammo was in the 2 - 3 moa range, sometimes less, sometimes more. The fit between the upper and lower receivers is extremely loose, and in my dry fire practice on this gun you can actually witness slight movement between the two.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't made my mind up on the Sig, and I think with some work I might be able to squeeze some more accuracy out of it... but if you plan on reloading at all, I would go with the Colt.