• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig 556 rebarrel

gamma

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2009
Heres a tricky little one I took on recently, not one Id be in any great rush to take on again but she worked a treat.
paulsmiths1.jpg
IMG_0244.jpg
b.jpg
d.jpg

Changed it from a 16" barrel to a 20". Shoots great, semi auto worked brilliant.

Re: Sig 556 rebarrel

Having a number of 556s in various flavors, I've often wondered how difficult a barrel change would be. Obviously a much more involved undertaking than for an AR. My question is how difficult would it be to do a 16" barrel replacement, but using a barrel that is heavier than the thin little whippy barrels that come from the factory? Would it even be possible given the placement (limited distance) between where the barrel and gas tube enter the receiver? I have a 556 DMR with a heavy barrel and the gas tube is a really tight fit due to contact with the wider base of the barrel (chamber).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having a number of 556s in various flavors, I've often wondered how difficult a barrel change would be. Obviously a much more involved undertaking than for an AR. My question is how difficult would it be to do a 16" barrel replacement, but using a barrel that is heavier than the thin little whippy barrels that come from the factory? Would it even be possible given the placement (limited distance) between where the barrel and gas tube enter the receiver? I have a 556 DMR with a heavy barrel and the gas tube is a really tight fit due to contact with the wider base of the barrel (chamber). </div></div>
Its definitely a much more tricky operation to rebarrel a Sig 556 than an AR. This one was fitted with a much heavier barrel than the original but as you can see from the photos I had to machine the barrel to allow room for the gas block. This job was made particularly hard fore me as my client insisted on having the gas port bang on in the centre of the groove and not touching anywhere near the land, the real problem here was the groove measured exactly 1.5mm and the gas port was also exactly 1.5mm so that made it very difficult and totally unnecessary in my opinion but the customer is always right. You could infact get away with having the gas port on the land but thats just the way I had to do it. A good smith should have no problem doing this but its definitely a tricky job.

The lower is not a 556? Is it a parts build from Colorado Guns? I think you did a great job, what kind of accuracy is it getting?

Here is a 6.8, stainless match barrel 11.5 twist 5 R

sigs2_ezr.jpg

Yes it is an actual 556, this is the Swiss model.

It was done with a Trueflite Remington varmint contour barrel. I charged him 900euros which I think was pretty reasonable given the job on hand.

If you ask Chad Dixon, (C.Dixon) on here he should be able to get you sorted.