• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig 556 SBR

Slippery_Pete

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2009
Lewisville, TX
For entertainment value

I've had my 556 SBR since about June of 2009. It rocks. There are 0 malfunctions. I beat it up a little on purpose. I let a guy bump fire it with 4-5 mags, (he likes that sort of thing) the only issue was the rail screws came loose. So I secured them with plumbers tape. No issues after that.

Ammo.

It loves green tip.
Tap 75 grain
PPU 75
Wolf of all varieties
Silver bear
193 of different flavors.

I'm into it at least 3K rounds, and it just gets better. The only reason I shoot the wolf through it is to prove a point about the reliability of it.

As for accuracy, I use the Aurora sights, and I can keep my shots on a piece of computer paper at 200 yards pretty consistently. I can hit the big steel torso at 300 with green tip most of the time, as long as the wind isn't blowing real hard.

I had the sig red dot on it when I first got the SBR, and shot it at 50 yards with green tip screwing around and was surprised how tight I could keep every round. I made a big hole in the paper. Other than that I haven't scoped it for groups.

One thing to note on these, that short barrel is akin to a Howitzer going off.
grin.gif

But I aboslutely love this gun. It exceeds everything I wanted it to do. Friend even bought one after shooting mine.

Custom paint job, by myself. I had it at the range on Wednesday, and everyone there had to come over and check it out. I always hand out a mag or 2 with a big grin on my face, and make lots of friends there. Staff included.

Anyone else digging the SBR 556?

2z3vsw0.jpg

2hnpfzk.jpg

ioi7uf.jpg

es1c9i.jpg

Re: Sig 556 SBR

We SBR'd the same Sig Pistol for my partner by adding an AR stock. The can is really needed or it will hammer you from the blast. They are really fun.

I Am Jealous, One of these days when i win the lottery im gonna let my wallet breath some air and get one of those.

I'm not a big fan of the full size 556, but this shorty has the spring over the barrel and it's operating system is most similiar to the Sig 553, which I am a huge fan of.

I have been pretty hard on this one, and it passes everything I do with flying colors. I think Sig got it right on these (just make sure you secure screws, get sights, customize, etc.)

Shooting it is butter smooth. A true pleasure. I can't say enough good things. I prefer the magpul stock to the swiss one, but a genuine swiss stock is very nice too. The factory Sig one sucks.

I personally have grown to hate the can. Makes it very heavy, throws carbon in my face (lefty), and makes a pretty clean running gun dirty.

I do the majority of shooting without the can. High on the cool factor though.

I'm into mine for too much, because I got it right after it was available.

I paid $1499 for the pistol alone.
Stamp 200
Auroras 230
Stock about 50
Handguards maybe 120

Last I heard the 556 pistol was going for something like $999.00. Anything close to that would be a good buy IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PadronAniversary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what stock is that ? </div></div>

Pretty sure that black one on top is the Sig in house stock. The Magpul definitely looks better
smile.gif

That's correct. The black one is the one from Sig. (cheap).

I like the magpul better too, both feel and look. Didn't feel the need for folder, but you can always buy an adapter for the AR stocks.

Nice looking Sig....
It's a shame that Sigarms USA is struggling with quality control issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M@D-M@X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice looking Sig....
It's a shame that Sigarms USA is struggling with quality control issues.</div></div>

This is surprising. Clicky for reference?

Ive got a Sig 556 Pistol that I SBRed and its fun to shoot. It's still loud as hell with or without a suppressor. Still fun to fire off a few mags. I used mine in a carbine course once and everyone hated it, the AAC muzzle brake is brutal loud on this setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M@D-M@X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice looking Sig....
It's a shame that Sigarms USA is struggling with quality control issues.</div></div>

This is surprising. Clicky for reference?</div></div>

Open up a can of Google-Fu for "Sig 556 quality" and you'll get plenty. A prolific YouTube guy who posts on WarriorTalk also has an in-depth review of the new 7.62x39, and it is not flattering. I like the look of the Sig rifles, but I read way too much negative about the recent quality issues to trust it. I've read very few positive reviews of Sig semi-auto rifles in the past couple of years. Shame. Sig pistols were the absolute shiznit ten years ago. Known for AK-like reliability and top notch German mfring. Sig USA seems to be a different animal.

I will agree with everything you're saying with 1 exception. The 556 pistol/SBR. I fully admit QC is spotty, but the only issues I had was rail screws coming loose. Easy fix.

The SBR piston is different from the full size, and IMO a whole different animal. It is similiar to the 553 operating system which is cutting edge. Just be ready for crappy furntiure, sights, and screws that need to be secured.

I have purposely beat it up to find problems, and it has held up.

But I completely understand what you mean. Sig fans are wondering just what in the hell is going on in NH these days.

This evening I met a friend of a friend who had an old Sig 9mm that was initially issued to a Swiss police dept almost 30 years ago. Says he still has the box and transfer papers in German. It still shoots like a raped ape. Sig US just don't make em like that, from what I can tell.

Oddly enough, though, a guy was running a Sig 556 in a two-gun match this afternoon. Ran like a champ.

Yeah, they have the right idea, but they seem to cut corners or just let sub standard products leave the factory.

Such a shame because the Swiss stuff is top notch.

That said, if you know what to look for, even the regular 556s will be reliable.

I have a 556 Classic. The handguard fit was crap since Sig USA used a larger opening on the gas block where the handguard locks in, and I had a threaded insert pull out of the top of the receiver where the rail attaches.

Once the insert was fixed I put a Troy rail handguard on it.

It is rock solid now, and it always ran 100%.

I put a Scout scope on it, and can run it with a ching sling.
Not very accurate, 2-3 minute gun.

But, I would take it into harms way without hesitation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M@D-M@X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice looking Sig....

This is surprising. Clicky for reference? </div></div>

As Snakum mentioned, it is just a simple google search away.
I personally own a SIG556 (Classic), P226R-TAC & P228 of which only the P228 was made in Germany by SIG Sauer and the other two were made in Exeter, NH by Sigarms. Let the record show that I have not had any type of malfunction with any of these. In fact, I have been able to cycle a large variety of .223 including old Com block lacquered stuff thru the SIG556 flawlessly. An issue that I've noticed between my new P226 and my 20 year old P228 is that even though the P228 has cycled over 700 rds vs. the P226's 100, the slide of the P226 rattles when shaken and the P228 seems as tight as the first day I got it. I also had an issue fitting a Troy's quad rail to the SIG556. The good people at Troy asked of me to ship the complete upper together with their quadrail so they can find out what the issue was. As it turns out, the specs of my upper were a bit off and the techs at Troy had to custom make a dove tail block to accommodate the quad rail.
This and the fact that I've read a huge amount of negative reviews on new Sigs, is what leads me to believe that they have a QC issue. I used to be a die hard fan of Sig as its reputation used to be here and I hate to point out the fact that these issues happened to start when the US plant started making them.

I really hope they can turn it around and make the name of SIG, reputable here in the states as it is elsewhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slippery_Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those Troy rails are rock solid. Buddy of mine has them on his Sig, and they have a great feel. </div></div>

I love mine. It just makes this already front heavy rig, heavier.

IMG_7071-1.jpg

photo-4.png

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M@D-M@X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I also had an issue fitting a Troy's quad rail to the SIG556. The good people at Troy asked of me to ship the complete upper together with their quadrail so they can find out what the issue was. As it turns out, the specs of my upper were a bit off and the techs at Troy had to custom make a dove tail block to accommodate the quad rail.
</div></div>

This describes exactly what my friend went though getting his troy rail on his 556. And it was piggy. I think the one pictured above is a Troy also on the SBR, and it is nice too. No fitting on that one, and it's not as heavy.