• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig 716 DMR gen1 vs. SCAR 20S

MMH

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2013
I have a SIg 716 DMR Gen1. Curious what the general consensus on this rifle is & how it compares to others such as a SCAR 20S.

I have had this gun since new & Sig sent a target with it showing a 0.65" 5 round group. I never got it to shoot close to that - I am normally between 1" to 1.5". Not saying that it's not me as I know that shooting a piston gas gun is much harder than a bolt. The gun recoils harder than a bolt which I don't really understand and I do not like the stock (this one has a UBR not a PRS). I don't think that it is hard on scopes but can someone confirm?

Overall l like the gun and glad that I have it but when it comes down to it I shoot my 700 or CLE AR15 a lot more.

Reactions: GLD1980
So let me get this straight, you want to buy a $5k gas gun that you likely won’t shoot accurately and less frequently than the guns you already own? Sounds like a waste to me. Maybe invest that $5k into something a little more productive?

308 gas guns are much harder to shoot than AR15s and bolt guns.

In your shooting what ammo were you using? Did sig say what ammo they used in their test target? Is this your first 308 gas gun?

The sig and the SCAR 20 are two different guns with different use cases. One is more of a precision oriented gun that would be best to shoot from a fixed position and the other is a battle rifle. The sig would compete better with a SCAR 17 vs the 20.

May want to start here - https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...r-10-type-battle-rifle-for-the-money.7080207/

Reactions: GLD1980 and N-C
So let me get this straight, you want to buy a $5k gas gun that you likely won’t shoot accurately and less frequently than the guns you already own? Sounds like a waste to me. Maybe invest that $5k into something a little more productive?
Not looking to buy - just curious. Not looking to sell either just want to hold on because I like having it even if it is not my 'go to' gun.

308 gas guns are much harder to shoot than AR15s and bolt guns.

In your shooting what ammo were you using? Did sig say what ammo they used in their test target? Is this your first 308 gas gun?

The sig and the SCAR 20 are two different guns with different use cases. One is more of a precision oriented gun that would be best to shoot from a fixed position and the other is a battle rifle. The sig would compete better with a SCAR 17 vs the 20.

May want to start here - https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...r-10-type-battle-rifle-for-the-money.7080207/
Shooting handloads - 43.o gr. varget underneath a Hornady 175 gr. BTHP

This is the only 308 gas gun that I have. Would like to shoot it better & curious what it's potential (not mine) is.

Shooting handloads - 43.o gr. varget underneath a Hornady 175 gr. BTHP

This is the only 308 gas gun that I have. Would like to shoot it better & curious what it's potential (not mine) is.
Your potential, is its potential to a certain degree. You have already said that you have a test target of it shooting a .65" group and yours are basically double that. Id keep focusing on that gun and not move on until you feel that the gun is holding you back.

Frank owns SH and he has a technique called white heels that seems to help shooters who are wanting to improve their luck.

• Haha
Reactions: GreenGO Juan