• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig BDX vs Hornady 4DOF

gDP

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2022
San Diego, CA
Firstly, is there a way to connect the Hornady 4DOF app to my Sig 3000 BDXs and if I connect them to a Kestrel does it use the ballistic solution or just use it for environmentals? I was having quite a bit of trouble getting the BDX app to work so for the past 3-4 matches I've just been ignoring the data in my reticle and using my Hornady app. Just today I got sick of the bad data and decided to try to fix the issue. As it turned out, the BDX app uses G1 BC even if you enter G7. I put in my G1 BC and now I'm seeing only a 0.2 MOA difference between the 4DOF and the BDX app at 800 yards (which I think is due to the angle compensation which is not a factor I input for the 4DOF solver).

Also, does the Sig app run off Applied Ballistics? It says 'powered by applied ballistics' in the app, but does not mention it on their website.

Firstly, is there a way to connect the Hornady 4DOF app to my Sig 3000 BDXs and if I connect them to a Kestrel does it use the ballistic solution or just use it for environmentals? I was having quite a bit of trouble getting the BDX app to work so for the past 3-4 matches I've just been ignoring the data in my reticle and using my Hornady app. Just today I got sick of the bad data and decided to try to fix the issue. As it turned out, the BDX app uses G1 BC even if you enter G7. I put in my G1 BC and now I'm seeing only a 0.2 MOA difference between the 4DOF and the BDX app at 800 yards (which I think is due to the angle compensation which is not a factor I input for the 4DOF solver).

Also, does the Sig app run off Applied Ballistics? It says 'powered by applied ballistics' in the app, but does not mention it on their website.
Here is the list of compatible LRF: https://kestrelballistics.com/compare-laser-range-finders

I am not aware of any way to connect a Sig BDX rangefinder directly to the free 4dof app. Probably some kind of conflict of interest there. Terrapin will connect to 4dof. The Sig LRF will connect to the Kestrel and it does then use the kestrel for environmentals and solving instead of the onboard "AB ultralight" I think they call it. When connected it will spit out solutions based on your ranging with the glass, and then display solutions on the kestrel. It will also feed the kestrel solutions back into the glass of your binos so you don't have to actually look at the kestrel if you don't want to.

Sig BDX app does run off applied ballistics. The whys and wherefores of it I can't claim to know. It's obviously neutered compared to the actual AB app in the amount of input you can give it, but it uses their bullet library. I think most people are happy with the onboard solutions but where it gets you is the 800 yard maximum with onboard. It's definitely all a cash grab. Terrapin/4dof app or strelok is a hot combo if you want to save yourself from being shaken down by kestrel or AB and you're not overly concerned with wind, although you will be stuck using your phone on the fly