• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig Cross barrel wrench…

Judd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2010
DFW
Page 95 of the manual calls it a barrel assembly tool…I call it a wrench. I understand this has a nut and a holder might’ve even been the proper term.

Regardless of all that, does anyone know where I can buy one? My Googlefu is failing me and I can’t seem to find one. I thought SAC might make a head to their kit…no dice.

Thanks.

Page 95 of the manual calls it a barrel assembly tool…I call it a wrench. I understand this has a nut and a holder might’ve even been the proper term.

Regardless of all that, does anyone know where I can buy one? My Googlefu is failing me and I can’t seem to find one. I thought SAC might make a head to their kit…no dice.

Thanks.
Ha! I just wrote SAC yesterday, before I found this thread. Maybe if we collectively keep asking, they will make one? :)

Reactions: Judd
I was able to swap the barrel on mine out with a vise, AR armorers wrench and 1-1/16” crows foot wrench. If wasn’t too bad of a process. I wish they sold the barrel extensions for easier swaps.

@AimsForDirt When you say "vise" do you mean a barrel vise? Can you describe what you held in the vise, etc? It looks to me like gripping the extension in a barrel vise and turning the 12-point nut counter-clockwise is the solution with the tools you describe.

@AimsForDirt When you say "vise" do you mean a barrel vise? Can you describe what you held in the vise, etc? It looks to me like gripping the extension in a barrel vise and turning the 12-point nut counter-clockwise is the solution with the tools you describe.
I found a video on YouTube where a guy clamped the receiver in a vise using wood to not stress the receiver. I tried this method but also used foam. The barrel vise I ordered was delayed and I already had range plans with friends the next day, so I went with the above method.

If you are swapping barrels you want to loosen the nut from the extension first using the 1-1/16 wrench then loosen the barrel nut from the receiver with the AR armorers wrench. I made the mistake of doing this backwards and breaking the dowel pin on the extension, but was eventually able to get the headspace and timing correctly.

Reactions: TroyMayo
I found a video on YouTube where a guy clamped the receiver in a vise using wood to not stress the receiver. I tried this method but also used foam. The barrel vise I ordered was delayed and I already had range plans with friends the next day, so I went with the above method.

If you are swapping barrels you want to loosen the nut from the extension first using the 1-1/16 wrench then loosen the barrel nut from the receiver with the AR armorers wrench. I made the mistake of doing this backwards and breaking the dowel pin on the extension, but was eventually able to get the headspace and timing correctly.
Hey I'm about to attempt this barrel swap, but what did you mean by the "dowel pin"? Do you happen to have a picture of it? TIH

Hey I'm about to attempt this barrel swap, but what did you mean by the "dowel pin"? Do you happen to have a picture of it? TIH
4900168-31-R_3.jpg

The aluminum receiver, specifically the area that mates with this pin is a weak point. Do not put any pressure on the receiver in any way. This part of the design is definitely disappointing.

The nut on mine was tight enough (from the factory) that I could not apply the needed toque with a crows foot wrench. I had to buy an offset box end wrench. I would recommend putting the barrel in the vise and not the receiver. It makes things a bit awkward, but much less risk of messing something up.

Last edited:
The aluminum receiver, specifically the area that mates with this pin is a weak point. Do not put any pressure on the receiver in any way. This part of the design is definitely disappointing.

The nut on mine was tight enough (from the factory) that I could not apply the needed toque with a crows foot wrench. I had to buy an offset box end wrench. I would recommend putting the barrel in the vise and not the receiver. It makes things a bit awkward, but much less risk of messing something up.
I got mine swapped out, but man the extension was spinning also when I was trying to torque down the jam nut to 55 ft lbs. I ended up trying like 4 or 5 times before I got it on there with the correct headspace. I see why you need that barrel assembly tool.