• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Sig grip question

Pok

Private
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
PA
I am looking to buy another pistol. I intend to ccw with it when I can depending on my clothing options. I already have a glock27 for days when the lightest of clothing is the norm.

I was torn between the Sig p220 in .45 or the p226 in .40. The caliber debate im sure we can do without in this thread, so lets not address that aspect. I am also just about sold on the Sig, due to the fact that it is entirely metal. Like I said, I already own a glock, and I like it, so no need to debate polymer vs metal here.

I held both today at my local gun store, and prefered the feel of the p226 in my hand as it was a little thicker in the handle. I felt that I had to slightly change my grip to manipulate the decocking lever, or had to at least really stretch out my thumb. I had no trouble at all reaching the lever on the p220 with my normal grip. I have not had the opportunity to shoot either yet. I will look into places that rent them before I purchase.

My question is: Do you owners of these models, think that my stretching for the decocking lever, means that my hand is too small for the grip? Is it normal to feel like its a bit of a stretch? Ill probably be able to answer this myself after I have the ability to rent and shoot one, but im looking for opinions. The cost of a new Sig is nothing to sneeze at. With any major purchase, I obsess and ponder until I drive myself crazy.

Im not much of a handgun guy, but ive been wanting a new "nicer" one for a bit. Im sold on the fuller size models because I want to have more accuracy potential than my 3 1/2 in barrel gives me.

As a side question: What do you all think of the beavertail extensions? The model im looking at has them, but im concerned about that spur sticking out. Will it dig into my side or back, or print more easily if im concealing it? It looks like the standard grip design would be adequate for keeping the hand safe from the slide. What do you guys(or gals) who have them think of them?

Re: Sig grip question

I dont have a full size 220, but have a 220carry. I love it! It is very accurate for what it is, a ccw gun. The basic full length is guranteed 2" @ 25 yds. My 220 is tight,reliable,it took a break in period of 350rds, Sig normally says 500. They come with no oil on the slide, you have to lube everything yourself and then go shoot it mine is well balanced. Mine doesnt have the full beavertail and I wish that it did, to help getting a better grip drawing from cover, that being said I have never had a problem with the slide or hammer bittinig me. The two things I wish I had different on mine were that it is that it was sao and a beavertail.

Oregonshooter, just got a 226 blackwater, its a 9mm. That gun is a smooth shooting pistol, the beavertail on it made me realize that is what I wish I had on mine. It is probably more accurate with good factory ammo, than mine is with good factory ammo. But my handloads will walk all over it.

I have both of the guns you are looking at. I don't think it is unusual to have to reach for the decocking lever. I mean, if you are decocking, the shit is probably over with, so decock and move on with life. I would pick based on caliber, since they are otherwise very similar.

Oh, and mine are the older German models, so I have no experience with these new-fangled beavertail extensions. I had 2 Kimbers that had them as safeties. They are comfortable, but so is a regular pistol. Seems kind of like a gemic to me. Maybe I'm missing something.

It's worth what you paid for it.

I have to reach for the decocking lever as well. No big deal there.

I won't be buying any sigs WITHOUT the beavertail anymore. I absolutely love them. I feel like I can get a much higher grip on the pistol.

I have to reach for the decocking lever as well. No big deal there.

I won't be buying any sigs WITHOUT the beavertail anymore. I absolutely love them. I feel like I can get a much higher grip on the pistol.

I have to reach for the decocking lever on mine too. On a side note, they make them in sao, so you can carry them cocked and locked, that eleminates the whole decocking lever thing.

I may be wrong on this. I don't claim to be an expert, but I was always taught to stop think of it as a slide release lever and think of it as a slide lock lever. The reason being that in event of malfunction, what is the first thing you try? Tap, rack, ready. If you always manually rack or release your slide, you already have that step down and you don't have to think about it when a malfunction occurs. Any thoughts?

My thought is that the Sig slide stop lever is in the wrong place. A proper, high grip will render it useless.

I don't like double action pistols at all, but if I was forced to choose one, I'd probably avoid the Sig at all costs.

Consider yourselves lucky. As a lefty, the decocking lever is to be used with the trigger finger. Need to swap out my mag released to the right side, but the decocker and the slide release are out of the issues for me. I like the rest of the feel of the SIG so I guess I'll deal with it.
Chad

I "may" have to reach for the decocker on my 220. Don't use it much so couldn't tell ya definitely. One thing to think about is if you want a decent 45 the 220 is most definitely up there without going to the "high end" range.
With the 226 you stay in your 40sw scene. However, either can be made slimmer with the "metal" grips. I plan on adding the hogue "deluxe" grips to mine sometime in the near future. My hands are about ave. size maybe a hair larger. I wouldnt worry about the "slide release" due to the fact that sig recommends against it and if used in "high stress" situation muscle memory goes to shit, the "sling shot" method is easier to complete and easier on the gun as well.
Just my 1.5 cents....

The slide lock lever is the only problem I have with my P226 in 40. Yes I have to move a bit to decock, but that's no biggie.
The slide lock lever is a problem for me because I tend to ride it. I am used to 1911's and a high grip.
I stippled the factory stocks on mine, and when I did I left 1/4-3/16" below the lever un-stippled so my thumb slides a little lower before being "grabbed" by the stippling.

im not sure about the decocking lever because i own a 220 elite sao and it doesnt have one. But as far as the slide stop/release it is a problem for me with standard plastic grips but i have no problem with the mag release. but if i put on the elite roasewood grips that cam with it and base my grip off of my trigger finger position(which makes my hand roll around a little bit more) its not a problem because i rest my thumb on the saftey. But then i cant hit the mag relase without changing my grip. Just my 2 cents. ive been meaning to try some AL grips but manners keeps having group buys.

YOu wont be disapointed with a sig. i have 3k rnds (230 gn LRN 4.6gns of bullseye) and 3 or 4 boxes of 200gn goldots +p through mine and not a single malfunction.

my only gripe is that its a little big for me to carry in the summer but thats not a problem for another year

I love my P220. I've carried it for over 8 years on duty and never had a problem. It eats everything I give to it, SD to dirty target ammo, no problems. I have no doubt in my mind that when I touch it off, it'll go boom. The only drawback is concealability. It can be done, in-the-pants or SOB, but unless you're a big boy, it'l print unless you layer. I love my Sig and you will too. No experience with the beavertail, sorry.

I carry a P229 in 9mm, and when thats too big to carry, I take a P239 in 9mm.
IMHO - they are the finest production handguds made. I put the rubberized Hogue grip on and they are great.
I can shoot 2" groups at about 20yds reliably. I can shoot it quickly with very good accuracy. I feel the extra weight in the slide dampens the recoil, and for me, makes it much more controllable.

I probably will get a P220 Carry sometime soon.
Definitely will get the new P229 when it comes out this year.

Tomcat