• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig Kilo 10k experience

michaelkirkland

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2017
Hello everyone.
I've had my new toy about 5 days now, and just can't seem to figure something out. I have the 10k with a weather flow meter, both are Bluetooth and seem to talk to each other sometimes....

I can't see to find any documents or videos explaining how to do this on a regular basis. At the end of the day, I don't want to have to use my phone as an intermediary device between the binos and weather flow.

Anyone have some experience with this? Seems crazy to me that Sig would have such an awesome setup, but no instruction on how to make it work.

I'd love to see the review on the glass compared to the Leica.

Follow up...

Ok, so it's been a few days since I originally posted here and sent a message to Sig Sauer online support though a web form. I live in Canada, and was hoping to avoid paying some long distance phone charges.

As you can see, not a lot of activity here, but that's to be expected not a lot of people have these yet. I did receive a response back from Sig Sauer a yesterday. Unfortunately, they sent me a copy of the manual, which I have in paper and electronically already, and have probably read 6 times by now. and followed up by saying "please call the help line for any further questions..." Gotta say, I'm a little disappointed.

So, here I go phoning another country for support..... surprisingly to Sig's credit I was talking to a tech within about 3 minutes, I was impressed. I explain to the tech that the Kilo10K ships with a tempest weatherflow meter (see here --> Weatherflow meter ) and that this meter has a built in pressure, temp and compass this was a surprise to the tech. If you download the free weatherflow app you can see all that environmental info. I also explained how it seemed redundant to have to use the weather meter push that data to your phone, and then sync your phone with the Kilo10. When in fact this could all be directly synced between the weatherflow and the binos via Bluetooth. When I'm at a match, the last thing I wanna be doing is farting around with all kinds of tech.

If anyone has figured this out.... I'd love to know how do you operate the Kilo10K with the weatherflow meter? Do you have to keep holding the windmeter while you range targets. What's the order to get useful environmental in the Kilo10, turn on the binos, then use the wind meter then sync BDX app to binos?

As I work though this, I'll try to keep posting here in case it helps anyone else.

On a somewhat similar vein, I’ve been trying to figure out which rangefinding binocular that can dynamically update the direction of fire (dof) when connected to a wind meter with zero user intervention on either unit (LRF or wind meter).

In these posts below there’s a list of what I’ve currently found:

New: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/wind-meters-that-allow-changing-dof-remotely.7140635/

Older: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/in-the-field-current-ballistic-workflow.7139076/

Also I’ve asked @BigJimFish about this and he said he hadn’t test this sort of thing with the Leica Geovid Pros, Sig 10k, or Vortex Fury 5000 ABs, but was planning on asking on some developer of the deleting systems how that would work. Here’s some last updates on that:

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-elite-sightron-plr-ffp.7118669/post-10638883

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...w-changing-dof-remotely.7140635/post-10520306

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...w-changing-dof-remotely.7140635/post-10634690

Last edited:
Reactions: Schütze
Optically they are in completely different universes. The Leica is superior optically, the Sig is superior electronically
I am not an optics guru or anything, but I feel like i’m a little bit of an optics snob.

I sold my kowa genesis XD 10.5x44 to help fund my sig kilo 10k’s and I don’t feel like I am missing anything.

Besides the blue tint, the sigs are very sharp to my eye, I didn’t expect them to be anywhere near this good.

Hello everyone.
I've had my new toy about 5 days now, and just can't seem to figure something out. I have the 10k with a weather flow meter, both are Bluetooth and seem to talk to each other sometimes....

I can't see to find any documents or videos explaining how to do this on a regular basis. At the end of the day, I don't want to have to use my phone as an intermediary device between the binos and weather flow.
The weather meter and the binos can communicate directly between each other. They do not need the phone to be on as an intermediary. Once the binos and wind meter have been paired using the app, turning the wind meter on while ranging will automatically substitute it's wind speed value in place of whatever value had been entered in the app. When it does this, a wind symbol will appear instead of the mph number you had typed in. I can't say this is an ideal solution as it doesn't give you any display of wind speed at any time so that you can see what it is fluctuating between but that is how it works. It takes the wind speed if it's on at the time you range a target and uses that speed in the ballistic calculation. As for the strength of the connection between the meter and the binos, yea it's a bit shaky. Very short range.

2022 8 10 sig 10k wind dam center.jpg

So, here I go phoning another country for support..... surprisingly to Sig's credit I was talking to a tech within about 3 minutes, I was impressed. I explain to the tech that the Kilo10K ships with a tempest weatherflow meter (see here --> Weatherflow meter ) and that this meter has a built in pressure, temp and compass this was a surprise to the tech. If you download the free weatherflow app you can see all that environmental info. I also explained how it seemed redundant to have to use the weather meter push that data to your phone, and then sync your phone with the Kilo10. When in fact this could all be directly synced between the weatherflow and the binos via Bluetooth. When I'm at a match, the last thing I wanna be doing is farting around with all kinds of tech.
That is interesting. The nVisti guys did not seem to think that the weatherflow meter had a compass in it. Seems like with that compass it could automatically populate the wind directing in the same way it is populating the speed. I do not believe it does this currently however. I believe you have to manually specify the directing either in the bino or phone menu. That would be a nice feature upgrade for the Sig app for sure.

If anyone has figured this out.... I'd love to know how do you operate the Kilo10K with the weatherflow meter? Do you have to keep holding the windmeter while you range targets. What's the order to get useful environmental in the Kilo10, turn on the binos, then use the wind meter then sync BDX app to binos?
1) Pair both the rangefinder and weatherflow meter in the Sig app. This is a one time thing and does not have to be done when your actually out ranging.

2) Turn on the binos

3)Turn on the Weatherflow meter

4) Hold the Weatherflow meter correctly oriented to the wind the directing it is blowing and the direction you have entered for wind directing in the binoculars menu on wind. It needs to be held this way when you perform the ranging as it is at that time the binos query the wind meter for the wind velocity. If it worked, and the connection is not super strong so sometimes it dosen't, the wind meter symbol will appear where the wind speed usually does in the bottom right corner of the post ranging HUD.

On a somewhat similar vein, I’ve been trying to figure out which rangefinding binocular that can dynamically update the direction of fire (dof) when connected to a wind meter with zero user intervention on either unit (LRF or wind meter).

In this post there’s a list of what I’ve currently found: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/in-the-field-current-ballistic-workflow.7139076/

Also I’ve asked @BigJimFish about this and he said he hadn’t test this sort of thing with the Leica Geovid Pros, Sig 10k, or Vortex Fury 5000 ABs, but was planning on asking on some developer of the deleting systems how that would work. Here’s some last updates on that:

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-elite-sightron-plr-ffp.7118669/post-10638883

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...w-changing-dof-remotely.7140635/post-10520306

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...w-changing-dof-remotely.7140635/post-10634690
Outside of the special case of the couple of Sig units which include a weatherflow meter, all of the current AB rangefinder wind stuff is handled in "external" mode with a kestrel. In this mode the rangefinder is dumb in all cases and the Kestrel is handling all the calculations. Because of this, there are really no differences in workflow from one rangefinder to another. They all work the same and you should look at the Kestrel manual for how to set it all up.

In the future, this may change. Integration of wind functionality by way of add on ultrasonic wind meters such as the calypso mini is a distinct possibility.

Thank you so very much for all of this. This is exactly the info I've been trying to find.

I'm trying to work out my optimal setup for prs matches. When I walk up to a stage i want to find, then range my targets, write the dope on my wrist and be ready to shoot. It freaks me out a little about not seeing wind values in the binos, I also wonder about not using average wind value versus a point in time gust.... I was hoping a kestrel vane and the weather flow could be used to send speed and direction of wind to the binos... Wouldn't that be slick?

In this post there’s a list of what I’ve currently found: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/in-the-field-current-ballistic-workflow.7139076/

I can't remember where I saw it, probably one of either AB's or Vortex's videos, but the target page of the kestrel will let you input (I think) up to 10 separate targets with their own DOF, and they can all be tied to the same wind direction. I'm thinking this was from Vortex's videos, since I was looking into the Fury 5000 AB rangefinder, which has an internal compass. Not sure if that's even remotely what you were asking about.

I can't remember where I saw it, probably one of either AB's or Vortex's videos, but the target page of the kestrel will let you input (I think) up to 10 separate targets with their own DOF, and they can all be tied to the same wind direction. I'm thinking this was from Vortex's videos, since I was looking into the Fury 5000 AB rangefinder, which has an internal compass. Not sure if that's even remotely what you were asking about.
My use is for pdog shooting, where you have no idea where the next target is going to pop up. I’m sitting on a swiveling table, and don’t want to be constantly standing up and button clicking and telling the instruments which way the target is or which way the wind is blowing.

So what I’m having trouble figuring out is what system (LRF+wind meter) dynamically knows what the other is doing in real time (with no human intervention). For example, LRF knows wind meter is pointing north, wind meter knows LRF was pointing west but is now pointing south.

Called Kestrel and they didn’t know. I’d call Leica and Vortex (Sig cannot do this) but I’m more curious than super-motivated, as having all this gear might just bog me down or be so efficient that it sucks the fun out of the endeavor.

The only solution that works the way I envision is Kestrel + HUD + Terrapin X (link).

My use is for pdog shooting, where you have no idea where the next target is going to pop up. I’m sitting on a swiveling table, and don’t want to be constantly standing up and button clicking and telling the instruments which way the target is or which way the wind is blowing.

So what I’m having trouble figuring out is what system (LRF+wind meter) dynamically knows what the other is doing in real time (with no human intervention). For example, LRF knows wind meter is pointing north, wind meter knows LRF was pointing west but is now pointing south.

Called Kestrel and they didn’t know. I’d call Leica and Vortex (Sig cannot do this) but I’m more curious than super-motivated, as having all this gear might just bog me down or be so efficient that it sucks the fun out of the endeavor.

The only solution that works the way I envision is Kestrel + HUD + Terrapin X (link).
Okay, gotcha. With the vortex you can capture the wind direction once and it will apply the same bearing to each new range until you change you change the direction, either by the kestrel or by the LRF. It has a wind bearing capture button on the LRF. The kestrel should keep the speed updated, or you can manually input the speed. At least that's how I believe the system works. The Fury 5000 AB has two wind modes, one assumes a 90 degree to DOF, the other uses the compass to get the true direction with the user hitting the wind button while pointing into the wind. Really easy to change the direction, just one click and then range the next target.

Reactions: sanddanw
bumping this,

i just got the direct contact to the bdx product manager, as well as the software engineers for ab.

if you have any quirks regarding the ui/hud or want to see any changes, i will attempt to relay them over.

for starters, im going to mention that the wind parameters should be displayed in the hud when using the bluetooth weather meter.

i’ve finally gotten to start using mine pretty hard now that the weather finally broke here, and will be going over mine pretty critically to find anything else to bring up to them.

Reactions: Kevin Stalter
bousculant ça,

Je viens d'avoir le contact direct avec le chef de produit bdx, ainsi qu'avec les ingénieurs logiciels pour ab.

si vous avez des bizarreries concernant l'interface utilisateur / hud ou si vous souhaitez voir des changements, j'essaierai de les relayer.

pour commencer, je vais justifier que les paramètres de vent doivent être affichés dans le hud lors de l'utilisation du compteur météo Bluetooth.

J'ai finalement commencé à utiliser le mien assez durement maintenant que le temps s'est enfin levé ici, et je vais passer en revue le mien de manière assez critique pour trouver quoi que ce soit d'autre à leur apporter.
Salut SIGMA,
J'aimerais avoir une option pour que le signe prenne en compte que la direction du vent et la force du crécerelle, et propose la solution balistique elle-même en interne.
Cela me demandait de mettre la crécerelle sur sa girouette et de lui faire toujours sentir la force et la direction du vent .
De plus, je ne comprends pas pourquoi le bouton HUD de mon IOS semble désactivé.

bumping this,

i just got the direct contact to the bdx product manager, as well as the software engineers for ab.

if you have any quirks regarding the ui/hud or want to see any changes, i will attempt to relay them over.

for starters, im going to mention that the wind parameters should be displayed in the hud when using the bluetooth weather meter.

i’ve finally gotten to start using mine pretty hard now that the weather finally broke here, and will be going over mine pretty critically to find anything else to bring up to them.
If you have contact with an insider at SIG can you ask how to determine how much of the 5 year limited electronics warranty is left when buying them new? Their warranty starts ticking down as soon as they come off their assembly line and not from their actual date of purchase. The buyer of their brand new SIG rangefinder binoculars doesn't even know whether or not he actually still has any warranty left if it had already been sitting in a warehouse or dealers shelves for years before it was actually purchased. SIG doesn't even intend tlon repairs of electronics past their 5 year from date of manufacture either. This goes fir the electronics in their illuminated reticles in their scopes and other electronics in their brand of products. Doesn't sound fair but it's actually legal since they have it clearly stated on their website that electronics are warranted for 5 years from date of manufacture same as what Trijicon states. At least it's not as bad as Bushnell only one year warranty on electronics including illuminated reticles in their scopes and red dots and rangefinders and trail cams etc only with original dated proof of purchase receipt.

Follow up...

Ok, so it's been a few days since I originally posted here and sent a message to Sig Sauer online support though a web form. I live in Canada, and was hoping to avoid paying some long distance phone charges.

As you can see, not a lot of activity here, but that's to be expected not a lot of people have these yet. I did receive a response back from Sig Sauer a yesterday. Unfortunately, they sent me a copy of the manual, which I have in paper and electronically already, and have probably read 6 times by now. and followed up by saying "please call the help line for any further questions..." Gotta say, I'm a little disappointed.

As I work though this, I'll try to keep posting here in case it helps anyone else.
Sorry to reply on an old thread, I’ve been struggling with the pairing of the wind meter, but more specifically why SIG Sauer would include a Weatherflow Ballistic wind meter and not give the option to set the shooting direction (like with a Kestrel) while the wind meter has a compass built in.

It was only after download the Wind and Weather meter app and testing the included wind meter that I saw that while measuring with the wind meter I didn’t get any environmental readings. All I got was wind speed and direction. Also the app would not allow me to calibrate the compass. The compass reading was received from the phone and rotating the phone would change the wind direction readout.

Of course I was under the impression that the wind meter in die KILO 10K box (due to the colour of the unit and the box) that this was the Ballistic WeatherFlow meter. But when you peel back the silicone skin on the meter you see the model number WFANO-01. Meaning that this is only a wind meter, no compass and no other sensors. The model number for the precision shooting unit is WFPSM-02. I called three other friends who also have the 10K and all of them also only have the basic wind meter. So if you received the precision shooting version with your 10K that was a stroke if luck.

There is however one setting that the wind meter app does allow you to change under the settings, this is the wireless range. The standard setting is 15ft/5m and this can be set to HIGH of 100ft/30m, at the cost of a 40% reduction of battery lifetime. Changing to the high setting makes connecting with the rangefinder much easier and I just carry extra CR2450 batteries in the harness side pocket.

I hope this is helpful.

Sorry to reply on an old thread, I’ve been struggling with the pairing of the wind meter, but more specifically why SIG Sauer would include a Weatherflow Ballistic wind meter and not give the option to set the shooting direction (like with a Kestrel) while the wind meter has a compass built in.

It was only after download the Wind and Weather meter app and testing the included wind meter that I saw that while measuring with the wind meter I didn’t get any environmental readings. All I got was wind speed and direction. Also the app would not allow me to calibrate the compass. The compass reading was received from the phone and rotating the phone would change the wind direction readout.

Of course I was under the impression that the wind meter in die KILO 10K box (due to the colour of the unit and the box) that this was the Ballistic WeatherFlow meter. But when you peel back the silicone skin on the meter you see the model number WFANO-01. Meaning that this is only a wind meter, no compass and no other sensors. The model number for the precision shooting unit is WFPSM-02. I called three other friends who also have the 10K and all of them also only have the basic wind meter. So if you received the precision shooting version with your 10K that was a stroke if luck.

There is however one setting that the wind meter app does allow you to change under the settings, this is the wireless range. The standard setting is 15ft/5m and this can be set to HIGH of 100ft/30m, at the cost of a 40% reduction of battery lifetime. Changing to the high setting makes connecting with the rangefinder much easier and I just carry extra CR2450 batteries in the harness side pocket.

I hope this is helpful.
I just checked, the wind meter in the review unit I got from Sig is WFANO-01 as well. Pretty interesting that you can change the wireless range setting if you pair it with a WeatherFlow app. That should be of great help to people in maintaining a stable connection to the wind meter. I had never tried to use the weather meter as a stand alone device. I only tried using the meter in conjunction with the binos and Sig app. In fact, outside of testing it out as part of the Sig 10k review, I haven't actually brought the wind meter with me when I use the binos. I just didn't find it to provide much added utility. This is partialy because of the difficulty of keeping the wind direction setting updated and partially because the wind at the shooter is not a good indication of the wind on the way to the target at the range I shoot.

In the future, I know AB plans on doing some integration of ultrasonic wind devices with their base software. This will be a more substantial integration than the WeatherFlow with the 10k. I belive this will be should be drop in via a software update for current 10k and other AB elite device users with the addition of the proper ultrasonic meter.

I think I'll be downloading that WeatherFlow app and playing with the meter a little more now that you have me thinking. I think it will make a good wind training tool for me to carry arround. I don't really like how it integrates in to the rangefinder work flow but as a stand alone meter I'm going to bring it along and take occasional readings as baseline data for the back of my mind. Thanks Johnny.

Reactions: carbonbased