• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig Kilo 10K Wind Questions, and Directions needed.

sasquatch98226

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2007
The questions first.

1) I understand how to enter the wind values into the unit (sub-button, menu navigation, adjustment, exit), I set the direction of the wind, and the value for said wind. When I do that lets say 10-oclock at 10mph, and then range a target at say 12-oclock at 500-yards, If I then range a target at say 4-oclock at 700-yards, will the wind be indexed based on the first target bearing only, or will it travel based on the compass direction? Meaning is there a way to set the wind at the beginning of stage, and then range a series of targets and have the wind applied applied correctly to each target in the series, or do I need to apply the wind separate to each target.

2) If the above process does not work, is there a way to connect to the kestrel, capture wind and direction, and then have it sync with the binos to give the solution for a series of targets without the need to manually change each time?

What I would like to do, it set the wind once, and then range targets in order and have the solution provided for each target to write on the arm-board without having to recreate the wheel for each target.

If this is possible, if someone could point me to a link for a discussion, or a video, or just explain it here that would be awesome. I was not able to find anything myself. I must still have a white belt in my google-fu!!!

Thanks.

@BigJimFish

I’m kind of curious about that as well.

And I’m also curious if the wind meter that comes with the Sig 10k will send data to a third-party device. For example, if you have an AB ballistics compatible device, such as a Garmin 7 pro w/ AB, would the LRF send both the windspeed, and the rest of the data procured during lasing to the watch (, kestrel, etc)?

The questions first.

1) I understand how to enter the wind values into the unit (sub-button, menu navigation, adjustment, exit), I set the direction of the wind, and the value for said wind. When I do that lets say 10-oclock at 10mph, and then range a target at say 12-oclock at 500-yards, If I then range a target at say 4-oclock at 700-yards, will the wind be indexed based on the first target bearing only, or will it travel based on the compass direction? Meaning is there a way to set the wind at the beginning of stage, and then range a series of targets and have the wind applied applied correctly to each target in the series, or do I need to apply the wind separate to each target.

2) If the above process does not work, is there a way to connect to the kestrel, capture wind and direction, and then have it sync with the binos to give the solution for a series of targets without the need to manually change each time?

What I would like to do, it set the wind once, and then range targets in order and have the solution provided for each target to write on the arm-board without having to recreate the wheel for each target.

If this is possible, if someone could point me to a link for a discussion, or a video, or just explain it here that would be awesome. I was not able to find anything myself. I must still have a white belt in my google-fu!!!

Thanks.
I experimented a bit with this and here is what I understand.

1) I don't think there is a way to set a wind direction at the beginning of the stage and have it automatically update for a series of targets. This is certainly the way a competitor would want it, especially if you could build a range card ranging each target before hand and have it update the wind corrections live for each target. Certainly the sensors exist exist in the hardware to do this but the software UI support is not built for it in either the app or the rangefinder. That being said, it could be, and this could be delivered in a software update in the future. Keep in mind though that the weatherflow does not have a compass in it and so it would never be able to update changes in wind direction live in the way a Kestrel can with it's little wind vane mount thingy.

Bottom line, right now, for each shot individually and in sequence, you set your wind direction for the shot, orient the weatherflow meter to that direction, hit the range button, and the wind corrected value is shown on the rangefinder and in the app and then you take the shot. There doesn't appear to be a way to change the work flow on this to better accommodate the constraints of a timed competition that allows you to do some of your work such as ranging each target , setting a wind direction and building a range card that will update the wind speed for each shot live before the clock starts.

2) The important thing to understand about using a Kestrel for wind is that you are using the Kestrel. What I mean by this is the Kestrel is not feeding the Sig or Sig software the wind with the Sig doing the calculations. When connected to a Kestrel, the Sig rangefinder is feeding the Kestrel it's distance, orientation, and other environmental and the Kestrel is doing the calculation. Using a Sig 10k with a Kestrel is not different than using any other rangefinder with the Kestrel except, of course, the Sig is better at ranging than pretty much anything else. Software wise though, it is the same as your using Kestrel's brain. I don't have a 5700 elite to play around with using the target card feature and live wind connection with the wind veined Kestrel. It looks to me from watching vids that this may be possible but I haven't tried it. I encourage you to look further into this. Remember, what rangefinder your using doesn't change the software capabilities with a Kestrel as your using the Kestrel brain not the rangefinders. Also, this means you are limited by the Kestrel. You don't get AB in Kestrel connected mode if it's not an AB Kestrel, connected mode basically shuts off the Sig's brain.

Lastly, I expect that all this may be moot in a year or two. A lot of work is being done on integrating Calipso style wind meters directly with the AB software that AB integrated rangefinders come with. I expect that many AB integrated products such as the Sig 10k's will be able to have a Calypso meter added to them and integrate the calypso readings with their own brain. I don't really know how quick this feature will be added to each company's own flavor of AB software such as Sig's BDX or Leica Ballistics, but this seems to be the direction wind reading is going. I also don't know how quick full live updating multi target range cards will be integrated, if everybody is going to get that feature set, or which brands software will get them first, but this does appear the direction things are going.

Reactions: Schütze
Would be cool if Sig just added a menu selection to capture wind azimuth and then rock on with ranging. Fury HD5000 has wind capture azimuth button. Seems easy to do with a firm ware push and the onboard compass. And I don’t care how accurate compass is so long as the relative degrees are all good.

I know this is an oldish thread but the way I run it is with a Kestrel that can do target card (Elite or X)

turn on however many targets you need. Use the kestrel to shoot an azmuth at each target now go through and range each target, if it's linked it should auto populate the distances. (I have to manually go to the next target on kestrel). Now I have my Kestrel on a wind vane on my tac table that extends it above my head. Then I do a wind capture right before I am about to shoot.

Make sure your wind is set to direction of fire (DOF)

Reactions: GBMaryland