• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig Kilo 2400ABS getting dim in cold weather

tlsmith22

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2008
ALABAMA
I hunted this evening and left my rangefinder laying out for quick access. It was snowing and abt 30 with the wind blowing abt 10-15mph so teh weather was shitty. I picked them up to range a doe and i could barely read the display After they had been out abt an hour. I could turn it around where it was dark and could see it but it was barely readable in the bright light. I put it in my pocket and warmed it up and it got better. Has anyone seen this? it was showing battery had all the bars on it too.

Having the same issue with my 2200 kilo. I stretched battery spring a bit and it seems better but more cold weather hunt testing is needed. This is my last Sig. I have had 3 and they have all had issues.

Oh also my understanding is for gear temp is temp. Wind chill does not factor for equipment.

Had the same cold weather issue in Canada hunting in the teens. No Bueno. It is a problem with the Sigs sorry to say.

• Angry
Reactions: Holliday
Ok my sig sat in the truck 20° F weather. Stretching the battery housing spring “seems” to have done the trick. I also cleaned the connection with DeoxIT D-Series Pen, 100% Solution, 6 mL
by Express Brands
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EQ7H82/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_CarYFb0PBB22G?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

That I had done before though. If you don’t have one of these pens it is the first thing I try with electronics or battery trouble. Even if everything is sparkling clean looking. Sadly this source has almost doubled in price so shop around.

So anyway with the stretched spring it seems to be functioning flawlessly in cold but “20s” is not that cold in Wyoming while hunting so time will tell. I’ll post an update later.

I tried stretching the spring and putting a di-electric grease on the contacts. I tested it again the next day and it worked fine. It was around 30 but I left it sitting out exposed just to test it.

I tried stretching the spring and putting a di-electric grease on the contacts. I tested it again the next day and it worked fine. It was around 30 but I left it sitting out exposed just to test it.

Interesting, perhaps we have a fix. I always tell my customers during tech support to cover the simple things first.

As for dielectric grease. My understanding is that is most often silicone grease, which does nothing to enhance the connection. It simply offers a moisture barrier. That is my understanding. In fact I once had an issue where the grease was interfering with the connection.