• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig Kilo 3000BDX TimeOut / pairing

FishDr

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Apr 10, 2014
    West KY
    Need some help... when I have the Kilo 3000 paired with the Sig BDX app, I can put the Timeout function (in ABU mode) to timeout at 120 or 180 seconds and the display stays on accordingly. When I turn off the phone, the kilo doesn't hold that setting and defaults to a very short timeout on the display... much less than 15 seconds. When in use this is not a problem. When you want it to hold the ballistic solution, this is not good! I want it to stay on for a minute or two anyway.

When I re-open and re-pair the device, it always shows "error" in the timeout function. Any way to get this display to stay on a bit longer?
    Thanks in advance.

I’m interested too, but I need the pairing to last longer between the Kestrel and the BDX3000’s. As soon as the binos shut off (15 seconds) they lose connection, was costing me time on the clock during my field match this weekend.

I’m interested too, but I need the pairing to last longer between the Kestrel and the BDX3000’s. As soon as the binos shut off (15 seconds) they lose connection, was costing me time on the clock during my field match this weekend.
    I can’t speak for connectivity with the app timeout issue, but for the kestrel, if you set the bino to ABU and pair it to the phone app, in settings you can change the timeout to up to 120 seconds. Then when you pair the binos to the kestrel, it should stay on for two minutes.

Reactions: verdugo60
    I can’t speak for connectivity with the app timeout issue, but for the kestrel, if you set the bino to ABU and pair it to the phone app, in settings you can change the timeout to up to 120 seconds. Then when you pair the binos to the kestrel, it should stay on for two minutes.
    Thank you for the replay. This is what I EXPECTED to happen. But on mine, when I pair the binox to the Kestrel in ABX mode, the ACTUAL observation continues on a 15 second time-out. The settings from the app aren't staying in the binox. Ideas?

Thank you for the replay. This is what I EXPECTED to happen. But on mine, when I pair the binox to the Kestrel in ABX mode, the ACTUAL observation continues on a 15 second time-out. The settings from the app aren't staying in the binox. Ideas?
    I’ll fiddle with mine when I get home.

Reactions: FishDr
    Very frustrating, it’s a great system when it works but times out far too quickly. This cost me some points at the Hornady Precision field/hunting match this weekend. (Always have a dope card for when electronics are buggy, lesson learned).

@DocUSMCRetired, any input?

So what I did was start the sig bdx app, woke up the binos and paired them to the app by selecting the rangefinder option. Once connected, went to the settings icon in the top right, tapped on the timeout time until 120 seconds was selected. Waited for the binos to turn off, closed the app. Fired up my kestrel, woke up the binos, automatically paired to the kestrel and lazed a range. Reading shows up in kestrel and binos, started a stop watch. Binos went to sleep at around 1:50, kestrel dropped connection about 3 seconds later. Seems like it works for me.

Try going through the steps the way I described it and see if it works for you. Perhaps check and see if your devices and software are on the latest version/firmware as well.

Tried all these steps in order. When connected to the app, the Sig Kilo 3000 stays on all the time and never times out - doesn’t matter the setting of the timer in the app. When I re-pair with the kestrel the Binos timeout in just under 15 seconds. The timeout setting seems irrelevant and it doesn’t keep the setting from the app. I’m stumped !!!

Thats strange, my binos went to sleep after roughly 2 minutes while connected to the app. Did the same with the kestrel.

I went through and did what PowderBurns suggested and it worked! Change settings in the BDX app on the phone while in ABU mode, then switch to ABX mode and manually pair up to Kestrel 5700 Elite. It will now stay connected for 180 seconds in between ranging.

I wish I had done this before the match but live and learn...glad to have it for hunting and any field matches in the future. Thanks @Powder_Burns, you’re the man!

Next question:
    Anyone know if there’s a way to make your SIG binos and kestrel pair automatically when both get turned on? As is I have to manually go into “Bluetooth” and “device connect” in the kestrel while binos are on and after searching they connect.

@FishDr I would try deleting the app off your phone, reinstalling and try to change settings again. I find it strange the binos wouldn’t go to sleep while paired with the app. Also, I didn’t need to set my binos to ABU mode to pair to the app. I would also check and see if your kestrel is on the latest firmware, I’m on 1.41. My kestrel is also set to stay on for the max timeout.
    ED412976-738B-46E4-8B32-C8234BD7E900.jpeg

Also, try the highlighted instruction. Its possible you overlooked this step.
    @verdugo60 My kestrel pairs automatically. I think I hit the range button on my binos once or twice and its off to the races.

Last edited:
    Tried this again... followed @Powder_Burns directions carefully. This time I used my phone. That seems to control the bino timer as long as it remains connected to the BDX app AND in ABU mode. However, if I change mode or turn off the app, no control. If I go to ABX mode and connect to kestrel - timeout in <15 seconds.
    This time I tried with the app on the phone. Previously was using the app on an iPad. Doesn't seem to make a difference on my unit.
    Thanks for the help guys. I'll keep fiddling with it, but this situation won't do for hunting or field use.

Where is our Sig Sauer rep?

@FishDr I would try deleting the app off your phone, reinstalling and try to change settings again. I find it strange the binos wouldn’t go to sleep while paired with the app. Also, I didn’t need to set my binos to ABU mode to pair to the app. I would also check and see if your kestrel is on the latest firmware, I’m on 1.41. My kestrel is also set to stay on for the max timeout.
    @verdugo60 My kestrel pairs automatically. I think I hit the range button on my binos once or twice and its off to the races.
    I am updated on the kestrel... using 1.41 firmware.
    Just re-installed BDX on the phone this morning.
    Just to be clear, the timer is controlled by the app using the phone. It was not controlled by the app using the iPad.... maybe there is a glitch. Neither setting would stay resident when disconnected and re-paired with Kestrel.

I'll try what you suggested and report back later ... thanks for the assist! Much appreciated.

Do you have to have the BDX app open on the phone for the kilo3000 to work?

meaning the data is stored in the app and the app must me open to talk to the kilo3000.....or does the kilo3000 store the data independent of the app once it is linked up and used one time?

thanks

meaning the data is stored in the app and the app must me open to talk to the kilo3000.....or does the kilo3000 store the data independent of the app once it is linked up and used one time?

thanks
    Good question!

thanks

The AB “lite” app is native to the binos. Good to 800 ish yards and no connection required to a phone or kestrel. The full AB software is available in ABX mode and gives ballistic solutions for elevation and wind to as long a distance as you can range to. That’s as long as it’s connected via Bluetooth, which is what we’re dealing with now.

verdugo60........what is a AB ”lite” app.

i understand the AB external aspect.

when using ABU with only the BDX app once my kilo3000 is linked and used 1x w a given profile it should give good data out to 800 Even when the app is closed.

This would indicate the kilo3000 would hold the profile.

is this correct?

verdugo60........what is a AB ”lite” app.

i understand the AB external aspect.

when using ABU with only the BDX app once my kilo3000 is linked and used 1x w a given profile it should give good data out to 800 Even when the app is closed.

This would indicate the kilo3000 would hold the profile.

is this correct?

Gunslinger,

ABU mode is AB "lite".

You are correct, when in ABU mode I believe it holds the last profile that was connected via the BDX app. I have not played a ton with this mode because I have been messing more with the ABX mode connected to a Kestrel but I like the idea that if I don't have anything but the bino's I can range and shoot to 800 yards with a fairly accurate solution given in the bino's as long as I'm using the last profile that was uploaded to the bino's when connected to the app.

Not sure if you can manage what profile is being accessed through the bino's while unconnected to a phone. Upside is you don't need service to connect via Bluetooth I guess.

Reactions: Gunslinger1