• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig Kilo5K First Impressions

SharpsNitro

Minuteman
Jan 22, 2013
Arizona
Picked up one of the new KIlo5K rangefinders yesterday and after playing around with it for a little bit I've got some first impressions. First, why did I get the Kilo5K? I needed a decent rangefinder that would:

1. Range steel out to 1000yds and hopefully beyond.
2. Connect to the Garmin Tactix Delta w/AB.
3. Not have onboard AB (see above, already have it and don't want to pay for it again).

Ideally, I wanted a Terrapin X but I just don't have the budget for it right now. The Sig is new and should give me the capabilities I need but wasn't sure since I haven't seen any hands-on feedback on them yet.

The unit arrived yesterday afternoon and I got it started up and updated the firmware after syncing to the BDX app on the iPhone. Other than changing the Mode to BDX-X (external AB solver) and making sure range was in yards and solution was in Mils I left everything as is although I did cycle through the different reticle options. Next, I tried to pair it to the Tactix Delta which didn't seem to be successful but nevertheless worked, the watch never said it found the Sig but "Vectronix" popped up on the sensor list following Applied Ballistics (I don't recall ever seeing that before). Maybe a future software update from Garmin will clear it up, my last update was a couple of weeks ago and I haven't looked for a new one since then. I'm happy, it connects to the watch and updates the range field, as it should, and gets the ballistics solution back from the watch, which I wasn't expecting.

Optics look okay, nothing spectacular and nothing too horrible; there seems to be more "blue" to the image than to the naked eye. The big question is, how does it range? It looks to range pretty well but it gets into the primary thing I don't like about the unit, no threaded socket on the bottom to mount it to a tripod. All of my ranging so far has been handheld and rested on top of the spotting scope to steady it. Unscientifically, the beam looks pretty well centered in the reticle circle, I need a more solid rest to map it out better. All of my testing has been from my patio looking out across terrain and structures (vehicles, houses, barns, power poles, etc. Lighting and weather conditions: sun at or just past its zenith (central Arizona), cloudless sky and 57F & 31% humidity. Targets were all to the south of my position and rangfinder was in direct sunlight.

The Ranging is quick, on closer targets with a single press of the ranging button, minimum range looks to be 5yds which could be interesting the next time I have a rabbit or chipmunk in close like that. Longer and smaller targets benefit from holding the ranging button down (not having a solid rest doesn't help here). The longest range I took it out to was 2660yds on a small structure, that was the furthest I can really test from the patio. I was able to walk the range out on a series of wood power poles to 1750yds by targeting the pole body and making sure I wasn't getting any of the background terrain. This makes me think it will be able to measure steel plates out to a similar range. My next tests will be to take a couple of steel plates (8"x8" and 12"x12" I think) out into the National Forest and see how far out I can get a repeatable range on them.

Overall, my impression of the Kilo5K is favorable. It looks like it may do what I want for 1/4th the price of the Terrapin X. My biggest complaint right now is the lack of the threaded port for mounting to a tripod.

Update: Just did another test after the sun went down. Ranged a house at 3440yds, couldn’t get a read on this one in the bright sunlight due to the Harvey reflections.

Last edited:
This affordable polymer bino mount from RRS works pretty well:

RRS and BH Photo have the aluminum Cinch in stock but they're $110 vs $40 for the polymer one. I use the polymer one with my Kilo300BDXs so I know they work

I found the polymer ones in stock at Mile High and Brownells, bought from Brownells because they were only charging $6 shipping instead of $18.

Any idea on beam divergence on this model? Not sure if it’s the same as the 8k. And does this have the feature to adjust the laser to the reticle? I know the 8k does. So you can almost “zero” it essentially.

The only beam divergence number I’ve seen is 1.3mils. You can’t zero the reticle on this unit. Not too surprising as the 5K is less than half the price of the 8K.

The Sig Kilo mount works great from MKM machining. Ill attach a picture. Ignore the cheap bino’s, waiting for my backorder of Meopta’s B1 Plus’s 15x to ship from Doug at Cameraland.

I’ve been impressed with how quickly it connects and communicates back and forth with my Kestrel Elite. Ranges 500 yards and in seem to be instant. Haven’t had it out ranging steel yet, temps are in the negatives and had a blizzard warning today.

Attachments

• B3A2A1A7-8706-42E7-BD14-9EC5F286D66F.jpeg
    B3A2A1A7-8706-42E7-BD14-9EC5F286D66F.jpeg
    430.7 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: bman940
slightly related so I figure I'd post here instead of starting a new thread: I've been on the fence about going for bino+RF or just going for a Kilo3000. Like sharps I'm looking to pair it with a Tactix delta + kestrel. Nothing out here in MD justifying huge magnification, which is what creates the dilemma, but I would like the binos (sig or other) to have compass readout at the minimum.

comments from anyone with experience with a 3k (@m1match ) or other kilo-series lrfs would be ideal, since the sig website and documentation is a bit... bare

I’ve been emailing MKM about their mount, they don’t know if it will fit and asked for a few measurement. Thanks for posting the pic of yours, I’ll look into it as I can always use the RRS for binoculars.

Since I've had the Kilo 3000 I've only been carrying it to matches. The main weakness as I see it with the Kilo3000 is the aiming circle is much bigger than the laser beam and each user needs to use their laser to figure out where the beam is within their aiming circle. In mine, the laser is at the 3 o'clock position in the aiming circle. The other weakness that I see is because the beam is smaller than the aiming circle, ranging really small targets is more difficult because you might be ranging the ground behind the target or something else in the vicinity.

For small targets I have a much easier time ranging with my Vectronix Terrapin (the older original one) but the Vectronix is slower than the Sig Kilo3000 and its only a 6x monocular. For my everyday use, I take the Kilo because the binocular adds a lot more functionality such as in matches, I can use the Kilo3000 to spot also. However, in my local matches I'm helping RO also in my squad, I usually also bring my Leupold 12-40 spotter because on farther targets impacts from he guys shooting little 6mms or 223s are pretty hard to see with the 10x binocular:)

I do use my Kilo3000 to link to my Kestrel Elite AB and the link works pretty well, the Sig shoots the range back to the Kestrel, and then displays the ballistic solution in the HUD inside the Kilo. Something to be aware of, unless Kestrel changed things, is the Sig is compatible linking with the AB Kestrels but not with the 4DOF Kestrels.

And my Kilo3000 doesn't have a compass function that I'm aware of. The new Kilo10K does have environmental sensors and compass built into it.

Last edited: